PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Herald: BJGE just getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't argue with any of that. Sure seems to me that BJGE is a better fit for the Pats than Maroney. The pity to me is that I think Maroney could be very good in a different system.

Maroney had something like 4 yards and a near fumble on 11 carries today so I guess Denver also is just not a good fit? ;)

Maybe the CFL would be a good fit.

... and one who couldn't ignore Maroney's decent 4.2 - 4.5 ypc during his time here, I was supportive of BOTH players and agreed with Belichick that Maroney earned the starts over BJGE - until this year.

Seriously? Maroney hasn't averaged over a 4.0 ypc the last 3 years.
2008 3.3
2009 3.9
2010 2.0 (As of end of Week 4)
Laurence Maroney NFL & AFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Whatever burst he had when he was a rookie looks like its gone. BB dumped Maroney and got value while he still could. Those 4th round picks tend to work out well for the Pats (Asante).

Clearly, as evidenced by his drop in the depth chart here and anemic play in Denver, something's not right with Maroney... he's lost a big step through wear and tear or lack of personal conditioning.

Maroney was a mediocre RB who teased with his physical talent but never had the makeup mentally or the vision to become anything more than that. What bothered me most about Maroney was his lack of toughness. That one play last year when he shied away from contact and stepped out of bands instead of banging forward for the first down on a THIRD down play really speaks volumes about his lack of toughness.

Maroney is just not a classic 'football' player like Gronk for instance who is the exact opposite - a tough player who DOES utilize his talent to the max, is strong in all aspects of his craft, and makes impacts in games with his blocking whether he has the ball or not. I'm not even sure Maroney understands what real blocking is, it sure ain't whatever he's doing.

Here is irony at its best.
All of the people who have been complaining for years that BB is stupid to have Maroney as his #1 RB, are now saying they were right about BJGE because of Belichicks decisons to trade Maroney and keep BJGE on the roster.
If BB were wrong all of this time, how is his opinion now proof that BJGE is a better RB? Can you have it both ways?

Will you still be bashing BJGE once he's earned the starter's job? I don't know this kid's ceiling but he must have been showing something for BB to keep him on the roster that long. Did you already forget how BB was holding onto Cassell when all the knee jerk posters wanted to cut him in preseason? Cassell turned into a valuable early 2nd round pick for us and is leading the Chiefs to a 4-0 record so far. BJGE has twice the heart and toughness of Maroney and maybe he can even stay healthy. Boy that's a novelty around here, a healthy RB.

Last edited:
Slow down. If he gets 20-25 carries a game and gets 4.5 YPC he'll rush for over 1400 yards this year. Do you really see that happening?

Wow- you're right... maybe that is a little rich, huh?! ha ha...

Seriously? Maroney hasn't averaged over a 4.0 ypc the last 3 years.
2008 3.3
2009 3.9
2010 2.0 (As of end of Week 4)
Laurence Maroney NFL & AFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Whatever burst he had when he was a rookie looks like its gone. BB dumped Maroney and got value while he still could. Those 4th round picks tend to work out well for the Pats (Asante).

Maroney was a mediocre RB who teased with his physical talent but never had the makeup mentally or the vision to become anything more than that. What bothered me most about Maroney was his lack of toughness. That one play last year when he shied away from contact and stepped out of bands instead of banging forward for the first down on a THIRD down play really speaks volumes about his lack of toughness.

Maroney is just not a classic 'football' player like Gronk for instance who is the exact opposite - a tough player who DOES utilize his talent to the max, is strong in all aspects of his craft, and makes impacts in games with his blocking whether he has the ball or not. I'm not even sure Maroney understands what real blocking is, it sure ain't whatever he's doing.

Will you still be bashing BJGE once he's earned the starter's job? I don't know this kid's ceiling but he must have been showing something for BB to keep him on the roster that long. Did you already forget how BB was holding onto Cassell when all the knee jerk posters wanted to cut him in preseason? Cassell turned into a valuable early 2nd round pick for us and is leading the Chiefs to a 4-0 record so far. BJGE has twice the heart and toughness of Maroney and maybe he can even stay healthy. Boy that's a novelty around here, a healthy RB.

Perfect post. All those stating that the Maroney trade was a mistake should give this post a good read. I don't see any part of it that ANYONE could disagree with.

Actually I see that a change of scenery and a better blocking OL was just what Maroney needed as many prognosticators in here determined was needed :rolleyes:

Look at his awesome stats as a Bronco in 2 games

23 carries for 29 yards

That's almost histerically about as bad as it gets

I guess the days of Denver having a solid rushing attack almost yearly are over

I think Belichick must have held a gun to McDaniels head and said give me your 4th rounder or your life

Belichick STOLE that 4th round pick,should be a crime

Belichick didn't trust Maroney anymore. It is really that simple. In that case, the trade was a fine trade.

However, I would note that statistics are often misleading. Maroney is a better than average runner when he averages 20+ carries a game (and probably 15+). This is not unusual among running backs. For example, LT was "washed up" until the jets decided to give him the ball more. LT's stats were usually average or worse when he only carried the ball under ten times a game.

Belichick made his choice. Now with two running backs are out, a 3rd is fit only for limited duty, and a fourth traded. So Green-Ellis is finally a starter, now that there is no choice. This is not quite fair to Ben-Jarvis. He had indeed passed Maroney on the depth chart before the season started.

For this board, Green-Ellis cannot lose. Either he will have a fine game or season or the the OL blocking sucks. Somehow, it is easier to block for an LT.

In the end, Green-Ellis has hung around long enough to have those ahead of him drop of old age. ANd yes, he will definitely be on the roster in 2011, even if we bring in three new running backs.

Perfect post. All those stating that the Maroney trade was a mistake should give this post a good read. I don't see any part of it that ANYONE could disagree with.

Belichick didn't trust Maroney anymore. It is really that simple. In that case, the trade was a fine trade.

However, I would note that statistics are often misleading. Maroney is a better than average runner when he averages 20+ carries a game (and probably 15+). This is not unusual among running backs. For example, LT was "washed up" until the jets decided to give him the ball more. LT's stats were usually average or worse when he only carried the ball under ten times a game.

Belichick made his choice. Now with two running backs are out, a 3rd is fit only for limited duty, and a fourth traded. So Green-Ellis is finally a starter, now that there is no choice. This is not quite fair to Ben-Jarvis. He had indeed passed Maroney on the depth chart before the season started.

For this board, Green-Ellis cannot lose. Either he will have a fine game or season or the the OL blocking sucks. Somehow, it is easier to block for an LT.

In the end, Green-Ellis has hung around long enough to have those ahead of him drop of old age. ANd yes, he will definitely be on the roster in 2011, even if we bring in three new running backs.

I am hoping we pick up a fullback next season,its been awhile since we had a decent one - it could only help - BJGE will probably be 3rd on the depth chart next season,I could see a FA and a high draft pick for the top 2 spots.

The board was a lot more reasonable on BJGE when he was coming off of his 10 carries for 19 yard performance against the Jets. Not surprisingly, one game against an absolutely horrible team has people here ready to enshrine the guy in Canton.

I agree with all your comments; Belichick does not. Belichick seems to believe that we are fine with a backup lineman or a linebacker (or even a DE) playing fullback. Many here agree, pointing out that we would only use a fullback a very few times a game, expensive for an active roster spot. Of course, if we actually had a fullback, he would be used. For example, we might look back and see how many times Evans was on the field on offense and special teams.

For me, a running game should be able to occasionally carry the offense, in certain games and at certain points in games. While you can indeed gain significant yards from the shotgun or a 1-runner set, it does indeed increase options for the running game if a fullback is available. And yes, a younger (or less beat up) version of Morris could function as a fullback. As we all know, a fullback helps the offense as a blocker and as an outlet receiver. Maybe 3rd and 2 won't ever be primarily a running down for a Brady-led patriots, but having a fullback would likely increase the likelihood of using that option.

I am hoping we pick up a fullback next season,its been awhile since we had a decent one - it could only help - BJGE will probably be 3rd on the depth chart next season,I could see a FA and a high draft pick for the top 2 spots.

I agree with all your comments; Belichick does not. Belichick seems to believe that we are fine with a backup lineman or a linebacker (or even a DE) playing fullback. Many here agree, pointing out that we would only use a fullback a very few times a game, expensive for an active roster spot. Of course, if we actually had a fullback, he would be used. For example, we might look back and see how many times Evans was on the field on offense and special teams.

For me, a running game should be able to occasionally carry the offense, in certain games and at certain points in games. While you can indeed gain significant yards from the shotgun or a 1-runner set, it does indeed increase options for the running game if a fullback is available. And yes, a younger (or less beat up) version of Morris could function as a fullback. As we all know, a fullback helps the offense as a blocker and as an outlet receiver. Maybe 3rd and 2 won't ever be primarily a running down for a Brady-led patriots, but having a fullback would likely increase the likelihood of using that option.

I absolutely loved when Larry Centers played that position here,he was a great player and teammate and really helped in the passing and rushing game,if there is another Centers out there next year I want him.

Larry was only in 9 games but he was a factor in the games he played in

Last edited:
Everything I have ever seen out of BJGE tells me that he is tougher, stronger and smarter than Maroney. Maroney is a waste of physical talent. Where physical ability was completely derailed by lack of heart and brain. No vision, no heart, a complete waste. He will be out of the league in two years. Watch.

I would have given him away for a cup of coffee. Pats got a fourth round pick. A steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back