PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Help me out here... RE: The Tuck Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriot Power

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I'm in a heated discussion on another forum with some haters about the tuck rule. Yeah, I know, exercise in futility, waste of time, they'll always find ways to hate.

But hear me out for a second and hopefully help me out... one of the stooges claims the tuck rule was never called before the Snow Bowl, and hasn't been called since. I KNOW for a fact that's BS, and that there's been at least a dozen other instances of it (one in the 2001 regular season, one just last season), but all I can find for documented proof of it online is a Washington Post article from 2005 that mentions only the snow bowl and one Redskins game regular season game where it was called.

Can someone help me out here ? Give me a game or a few games (with dates) where the Tuck Rule was called? Please help me bury this black and silver *****!

I'm in a heated discussion on another forum with some haters about the tuck rule. Yeah, I know, exercise in futility, waste of time, they'll always find ways to hate.

But hear me out for a second and hopefully help me out... one of the stooges claims the tuck rule was never called before the Snow Bowl, and hasn't been called since. I KNOW for a fact that's BS, and that there's been at least a dozen other instances of it (one in the 2001 regular season, one just last season), but all I can find for documented proof of it online is a Washington Post article from 2005 that mentions only the snow bowl and one Redskins game regular season game where it was called.

Can someone help me out here ? Give me a game or a few games (with dates) where the Tuck Rule was called? Please help me bury this black and silver *****!

Use Wikipedia and search the tuck rule game. There is a link at the bottom of the page to a Washington Post article. There ya go.

Use Wikipedia and search the tuck rule game. There is a link at the bottom of the page to a Washington Post article. There ya go.

Then add to that the fact that the Competition Committee, which of course is Bill Polian's own little fiefdom, reviewed the application of the Tuck Rule in that game in the offseason and considered whether it was applied properly - as well as whether the rule itself was fine as is or should be amended or even abandoned.

Polian and the Committee's conclusion? It was applied properly and the rule was left unchanged.

Slam

Dunk

Of course I'm in the minority. I think the officials got the call wrong. It should have been unnecesarry roughness on the play as well. We got ripped off and should have gotten an extra 15 yards out of the deal. But I'm willing to let that slide. After all those officials have a tough job working by day at Footlocker and working the games on the weekends.

;)

In that same 2001 season it was called in a Rams vs Bucs Monday night as well I believe. Back when Rams vs Bucs was fun to watch. Top Off. vs top Def. It pissed me off when I saw it, but up in section 303 of old Foxboro stadium in the cold and wet, I was the only one yelling incomplete and not a fumble cuz I remembered that it was called twice before and hated it. Of course in that game, it made perfect sense and I loved the rule!!

Agree or disagree on the rule itself, but you can not argue that it isn't called consistently each time.

Last edited:
Thanks... I've got that Post article... was hoping for a few more but its at about 5 games now I can name. I know it happened in a Seattle game I was watching once... but I can't remember the info. And I know it happened last season because I remember Mike Pereira going over the play with Rich Eisen on NFL Total Access, but I can't remember the teams involved.

Once I compile this all I'm adding it to the wikipedia entry on the Tuck Rule... no reason this shouldn't be up there.

Wish I had lexus-nexus access.

Thanks... I've got that Post article... was hoping for a few more but its at about 5 games now I can name. I know it happened in a Seattle game I was watching once... but I can't remember the info. And I know it happened last season because I remember Mike Pereira going over the play with Rich Eisen on NFL Total Access, but I can't remember the teams involved.

Haven't checked if NFL.com last years Eisen/Perera are still there, but I had made note that they covered at least two tuck plays last year during the8/29 and 9/26 epsiodes.

It has been called before and after the Snow Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News