Welcome to PatsFans.com

Help! Local Radio Is Unlistenable. Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by bigjunk1, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigjunk1

bigjunk1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have a pretty hefty commute and the local radio stations have been
    BRUTAL, especially since the Super Bowl.

In the morning I have "Mike & Mike" with Greenberg being so over-the-top with glee due to the Pats losing and SpyCrap. Or WEEI with their smarmy wholier than thou act as they take their cheap shots at BB in between their hate mongering.
    In the afternoon, their is the "Big Show" which to me is just like being forced to sit next to the table at the pub that has the loudest, most obnoxious drunks who find themselves so entertaining that they feel the need to bring everybody else into their bubble of stupidity. And Felger, who I think is talented and can be insightful, but for the most part comes off like you are listening to the other teams announcers while trying to watch the game.

So what are my options? I heard the satellite companies are going to merge so I don't want to buy a brand and get stuck with the "beta tape" version.
    And if I do get satellite is their anything worth listening to? Are the national stations any better?

I think that local radio is in some sad shape when "Planet Mikey" may be the best thing out there right now. Well, at least the Sox will be back on soon.
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

10-2 on WEEI is pretty good.. other than that time to listen to some kickass tunes on the IPOD.. it helps with the loss.
  3. BradfordPatsFan

BradfordPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Get Sirius. They have a 24/7 NFL channel. The merger is stuck in congress right now (I believe) and from what I have read, they will offer a la carte services and the receivers will work on both XM and Sirius satalites.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  4. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

here are a few options

[​IMG]
  5. eom

eom Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -1

nfl network on sirius is totally rockin'.

free sportstalk is like peewee league compared to this.

edit: I think you can stream it off their site for a free 3 day trial, maybe.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  6. tuckeverlasting

tuckeverlasting Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

holley is pretty good. the rest of eei, echhhh.
  7. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I haven't kept up with the merge situation lately, but they said when this first was proposed that IF it happens whatever radio you have should work with the combined formats. Personally, I have XM because I am an Opie and Anthony fan. But Sirius has the NFL, and seems to have more good music stations. XM seems very niche-based.
  8. RhodyPatriot

RhodyPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 12 / -5

Best local sports talk show period. Gresh and Zolak on 99.7 FM 9 to noon
    Very fair in their Patriots chat, they know football inside and out, have great national guests, do fantastic draft shows and they're a riot to listen to!! Very funny and very entertaining. Check them out. You'll like what you hear.
    (FYI Zo is on vacation for a week starting tomorrow)
  9. mrbandw

mrbandw Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Get an ipod and listen to the Patriots Football Weekly podcasts.
  10. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

If you're from Mass/RI or whatever other New England states carry WEEI, I'd just go with that.

But if you're stuck in a state without it, such as CT here, just listen to music.
  11. bigjunk1

bigjunk1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That sounds perfect. I had no idea that was even on!:rocker:
  12. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

That was going to be my suggestion. I had a new car stereo put in for about a hundred and fifty bucks that has the input jack for my ipod and has Sat if I ever decide to subscribe to that. But, I have hours and hours of podcasts so really no need. At my computer at work (where I am right now) I listen to more podcasts with iTunes. Great way to get lots of information and entertainment.

To those who suggested EEI it's great if your a MLB fan but awful if your not. I really wish I could get into MLB 162 games a year and non-stop sewing circle discussions on EEI but, it just not happening.
  13. VOODOOZF

VOODOOZF Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Gresh and Zolak are sophomoric and make Fred Smerlas seem as articulate as Barak Obama.

Does that tell you how dopey they are?
  14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +898 / 7 / -17

#87 Jersey

Dale & Holley from 10-2 .. other than that I listen to CD's. The Big Show loves repeating crap with repeating arguments and the pompous idiots in the morning are trolls.
  15. RhodyPatriot

RhodyPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 12 / -5

BS!! They're so dopey Gresh moonlights nationally on ESPN radio and does a national football show with Mike Ditka during season. And we all know how dopey Zo is since he's all over Boston TV doing football commentary and playng color man for Navy football. Gresh and Zo are a refreshing change from the let's shout over each other pompous ***** marathon WEEI offers up each day.
  16. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Well I've heard Obama with out a teleprompter and I'd have to say Fred is more articulate.
  17. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Turn it off for a few weeks.. I do listen to the herd with colin cowherd he is good..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.