PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hello Again PatsFans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to have you back. Congrats on the birth of your daughter. Enjoy every minute of it, and take lots of pictures. Mine is 2, and I can't get enough of her.

I like the Pats chances, simply because I think they will be so fired up for the Steelers. They were not fired up for Philly or BMore IMO.

Thanks for checking in.

I keep seeing comments like this all over our board. Why do people keep saying that we don't have a running game? Just because we don't have one back that gets a ton of yard from for us doesn't mean as a team we have no running game. We are currently ranked 8th in the league for run offense and we only have about 200 yards less that Pittsburgh.
Let me rephrase. I think the Pats are able to run the ball ok because everyone is dropping into coverage. I don't think they can run it when/irf they need to.
As for the 8th ranking, "there are lies, lies, and statistics." I already said that despite Pittsburgh's high ranking at rushing the ball they are not a good rushing team. They are committed to it, which can be argued is all that matters, but they are not particularly good at it. There's some good info over on FootballOutsiders about all this.
It's funny that the notion keeps going that the Steelers are a smashmouth running attack and Ben is managing the game. The fact is, Ben is carrying this offense, at least froma productivity standpoint.

Thanks Bostonian. My best to you and yours.

Well, I guess there goes my attempt at having some civil debate.

Don't give up. I'm not sure Joker was even referring to you guys, but to the two main media originators of the "Old" story.

You can see from the many posts here that folks appreciate mature and well thought out Pittsburgh Steeler fan posters (and understand, you two guys in this post are the vast minority - - every time the Pats play the Steelers, the week before we have record amounts of troll bannings - -oh, the stuff you can't see!).

Well, I guess there goes my attempt at having some civil debate.

No it can still be had.

I didn't see the Pats D wear down late against the Colts or Cowboys, but again those are passing teams I suppose. In most other games how the D played in the 4th was irrelevent.

I would disagree about the Colts or Cowboys being passing teams. They are balanced teams. Addai and Barber are very physical backs.

But they did get pushed around by an average OL, which is surprising. I guess I am not surprised that their LB corps, which, outside of Thomas, is smallish to begin with and getting a little long in the tooth.

While the LBs are a little old they are not small.

Eric Alexander LB 25 6-2 240
Chad Brown LB 37 6-2 245
Tedy Bruschi LB 34 6-1 247
Rosevelt Colvin LB 30 6-3 250
Larry Izzo LB 33 5-10 228
Junior Seau LB 38 6-3 250
Adalius Thomas LB 30 6-2 270
Mike Vrabel LB 32 6-4 261
Pierre Woods LB 25 6-5 250

But what surprised me was that their front three of Seymour, Wilfork, Ty Warren/J. Green, got handled.

Seymour was decent with a good pass rush but Seymour and AD were getting killed against the run for three quarters until the Pats started to run blitz.

It is strange to think that the run-D is the weakness of the Pats. And the run-O is downright inept (don't get sensitive, it's just an adjective). So for as impressive as the Pats have been on offense, and I hate to admit it they have been as dominant as I have seen since the Rams, I just have never seen a team that struggle to run the ball and stop the run do well in the playoffs.

Losing Sammy Morris was huge he was having a great year. The Pats can run the ball when they want to I'm more concerned about them stopping the run.

Losing Sammy Morris was huge he was having a great year. The Pats can run the ball when they want to I'm more concerned about them stopping the run.

I can't imagine what the Pats would look like right now if we still had Sammy Morris. That was a bad loss.

I couldn't agree more. Until we get linebacker help this off-season, I still think #12 is our best defense.

Don't give up. I'm not sure Joker was even referring to you guys, but to the two main media originators of the "Old" story.

You can see from the many posts here that folks appreciate mature and well thought out Pittsburgh Steeler fan posters (and understand, you two guys in this post are the vast minority - - every time the Pats play the Steelers, the week before we have record amounts of troll bannings - -oh, the stuff you can't see!).

I wasn't referring to Joker's comments in particular. Just seemed things were starting to devolve into a pissing match.

Cheers

- not that Cincy's pass game is in the same league but the Steelers had little trouble containing their WRs. They'll have to mix it up. I'm sure there will be times when they only rush 3. Other times they will bring the house.

I'm also curious to see if Pitt can handle our passing game. Do you think that Cincy has had the best passing attack of all the teams you faced this year? I know that Cincy has a history of being a good passing team, but it seems that their whole offense has been out of sync this season due to problems with the run game and specifically Rudi Johnson. This has given Palmer less time in the pocket and has disrupted timing.

Also since our running game has taken a hit with Morris going to the IR. This has put more pressure on the passing game and has made us more one dimensional. This hasn't been a problem up until a couple of weeks ago since we have been able to air it out and put up points to start out games. It also didn't help that both teams we faced and our next opponent (Pitt) have excellent defenses.

Also the last couple of weeks I think Brady has been slightly bothered by the weather in the fact that he decreases the percentages of the long ball being effective. This has shortened the field for opposing D's and has allowed opposing secondaries to play closer to the line. I think one thing that does benefit the Pats is the weather for this week. A high temp of 34 but only wind of 6 MPH. I think this will help put the fear of the long pass out there, which could make all of the difference.

the point is,,Moron 1 and Moron 2 said the Pats are old and wear down late in games...I just pointed out the reality to their complete and utter ignorance. Maybe they meant they wear out in the first 3 quarters and then make their opponents wear their azz for a hat...who really knows what goes on in the minds of these schizos.

I just posted a thread regarding the Patriots: They Own the Fourth Quarter. Not even close in even the heart attack games.

Our LBs just seem to have gotten very old very quickly. I hope BB was right and the team is just tired.

They are no older now than in the Redskins or Bills games. It's a perception.

It takes more than LBs to stop the run anyway.

I couldn't tell on TV but I suspected that the DL was not tying up enough wide-bodies and that some of the wide-bodies were getting hats on our LBs. We know who wins those wars. Adalius is big for a LBer but he's not that big.

When you have 2 evenly matched teams it all comes down to line play. I think both DLs are good, but the Pats OL is slightly better. This will give Brady time to make his reads & adjust.

Have fun at the game. The difference between the Steelers and the Pats can be seen right there. The Steelers played down to the levels of the teams that they LOST to. The Patriots have had close games but still pulled out the WIN. Sorry to say it, but you hear the sounds of your hopes and dreams getting crushed? Well that's the sound of the Patriots and Tom Brady coming into the field this Sunday. :)

- Yes they loss to a poor Jets team, a medicre Broncos team and a solid Cardinals team, when healthy, and one coached by their former coordinater. But the thing is, with all those teams you have to respect the run. I just don't see any reason teams should respect the Pats running attack. But as I said, that's why I think if the Pats can come out and establish some semblence of a running attack against the Steelers it could be a long afternoon for my team.

Nice to have you back. Congrats on the birth of your daughter. Enjoy every minute of it, and take lots of pictures. Mine is 2, and I can't get enough of her.

I like the Pats chances, simply because I think they will be so fired up for the Steelers. They were not fired up for Philly or BMore IMO.

Thanks for checking in.

I really think that's key. If the pats win I'm concerned about the Jets game the week afterwards. How do you get up for a game once you lock up home field?

Congrats on the kid ClosingTime... it does get easier - though it is never easy (and watch out... this is the time when you start thinking that you're getting "good" at being a parent of one - and think you can handle two... but the Zone defense you're running now is NOTHING like the Man2Man you have to employ with two kids - so be warned.)

As far as your advice on stopping the run, I don't see how one CAN'T make that a top priority. Given the Patriots tired LB corps I expect to see handoffs to Parker as the primary choice all day - at least until the Pats prove they can stop him - which are sure to open up passes for Rothlesberger... he won't go deep a lot but I expect he'll see a lot of 8-10 yard openings, which will really give the Patriots D a challenge.

So the LBs are REALLY going to be challenged and its going to be a tiring day for them.

That being said I think they will dig down deep and have all the energy they need - with games against the Jests and Washington Generals coming up before the Giants - who might choose to rest players against the Patriots if things work out well.

So the LBs and all players will definitely be giving everything they have knowing just what a challenge they have against the Steelers this week - as opposed to the Eagles and Ravens who were underestimated.

I really think that's key. If the pats win I'm concerned about the Jets game the week afterwards. How do you get up for a game once you lock up home field?

Lemme get this straight.

You're worried about the New England Patriots getting up for the New York Jets game?

After Mangini's Spygate?

My brother and I spent big bucks for tickets to this game a month and a half ago. If there is ONE game die hards want to attend it's THIS one.

Talking to fans from my hometown who are going,there's a consensus that we should wear rat masks in force. What better than thousands of rat faces for Ratgini to look at in the stands?

Congrats on the kid ClosingTime... it does get easier - though it is never easy (and watch out... this is the time when you start thinking that you're getting "good" at being a parent of one - and think you can handle two... but the Zone defense you're running now is NOTHING like the Man2Man you have to employ with two kids - so be warned.)

As far as your advice on stopping the run, I don't see how one CAN'T make that a top priority. Given the Patriots tired LB corps I expect to see handoffs to Parker as the primary choice all day - at least until the Pats prove they can stop him - which are sure to open up passes for Rothlesberger... he won't go deep a lot but I expect he'll see a lot of 8-10 yard openings, which will really give the Patriots D a challenge.

Thanks Joe. I'll try to use your zone vs. man coverage to my wife, but she's already got us saving the old baby clothes and toys. A clandestine vasectomy may be in order.

In regards to the run game, see I just think it is a mistake to load up to stop the run on this Steelers team. It's the great myth that keeps going that the Steelers win with their running game. Sure it must be respected but it's not going to kill you. I think they get teams to focus on it and then kill them with play action when teams can probably contain the run with their front 7. I think the real key for the Pats stopping the Steelers is containing Heath Miller and Santonio Holmes. We may see a stange situation where the Steelers come out throwing and the Pats come out trying to establish the run.

With regards to another poster's question about Cincy's passing attack and overall offense. Yes they are certainly out of sync. The Steelers easily contained Cleveland's O. (out of the 28 points, 7 were on a KO return, another return to the 3 yard line, and an INT at the 18. Only one real drive.)

Which brings me to the other big worry for me, is the putrid Steelers special teams play. Their covrage has been horrendous. It almost cost us the Cleveland game and it did cost us the Cardinals game, and certainly helped in the Denvr loss. Their return game has been average at best. This is a big advantage for the Pats and I hope it doesn't show.

VJc, yes the Steelers have been wildly inconsistent and really haven't looked good in over a month. But let's also be honest. It took some pretty putrid decisions from Feeley in the Philly game, and then a perfect storm of idiocy by the Ravens for the Pats to pull out those wins. I'll give you the great composure and combacks against the Cowboys and Indy.

Congrats on being a new dad CT...my first was a girl, and she just turned 5, how time flies. (of course now we have a boy 2 and another girl 2months) Being a dad just gets better all the time.

As far as the game I actually think the home-field advantage will play a big factor...not because of the crowd, but due to the fact that we don't have to play on that lousy field in Pitt. Pitt did a good job with Cincy, but Cincy was also playing on that crappy field so that is a factor. I think the pats are just tired and worn out from so many games where we are getting every-one's 'best shot'.....and also the fact that we have played 3 prime-time games in a row.

It should be a good game, and I actually expect Maroney to play a big part running and catching balls out of the backfield.

Congrats on your newborn and the 2 and 5 yo. Funny, I never imagined enjoying it so much.

Home-field will be huge. I don't think Heinz field is a huge advantage for the Steelers. It may have been in the days of Bettis but it slows Parker.

Anyways, the Steelers have shown themselves to be a very mediocre road team. They better change that this weekend or it will be ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes