PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Haynesworth sentencing; league & fan response; legal & NFL discipline (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Haynesworth - Impartial Jury?

When does Goodell start handing out penalties for parking tickets or speeding?

Stick to the football end of it unless it's serious Roger...The Jets can make it to the playoffs without your help, like the other 31 teams have to do............

However, should Albert be convicted even without jail, Jets fan Commissioner Goodell will certainly impose a league suspension on Albert.

I am hoping that this case is going to trial instead of a plea/dismissal to avoid a Roethlisberger-style suspension. I don't believe that Goodell has done an override on jury findings, but I guess there can always be a first for everything, especially when the case involves the first guy you every gave a substantial suspension to.

Last edited:

Wow. Making guesses at the motives of another person is a sure way to land your butt in a sling.

True, and at the same time there is a very real context for his interpretation.

He's got a double whammy of perception problems: the DC area white community is pissed at him for reneging on his contract by not giving his full effort, and the black community (particularly the women) for denigrating blacks by openly preferring white women. So when he says "I've seen this before" he may or may not be right in that interpretation, but he has certainly experienced similar for that reason.

He's not made things easy for himself here in DC.

Excellent post Boomer.

However, should Albert be convicted even without jail, Jets stealth employee Commissioner Goodell will certainly impose a league suspension on Albert.

Fixed it for you.:)

Yeah, this is one of those things where you of course don't defend it at all, but jeez. Seems to be a case where the waitress shoulda just whacked the jerk in the face and been done with it.

Hands to the face.

15 yards

Dear Goodell:

Is AH allowed to pick his nose .... ....:eek:

I practice criminal defense law in Virginia (but not near) where Haynesworth goes to trial in the northern suburbs of DC. As I understand it, he is charged with misdemeanor sexual battery (not a felony). It's a typical he said - she said case that goes to trial every day.

You only get 7 jurors for a misdemeanor (my misdemeanor jury was postponed for today but I have a 12 citizen felony jury on Wednesday). I imagine that during voir dire (jury questioning and selection) the defense attorneys will ask lots of Redskins questions and take off those who honestly express bias "for cause". As many of the others as possible who concern them, but can't be removed because they are legally impartial, will be eliminated by "peremptory strikes".

Albert can afford jury consultants but I've never used them. The only thing predictable about a jury is its unpredictability. This is just me but I like as smart a jury as possible. Also, surprisingly, I'd prefer to remove jurors who don't answer any questions (I don't trust them) but keep those who, while on the surface they don't seem to be favorable for my client nevertheless, based on how they answer questions, seem sincere when they say they can be fair.

The maximum penalty for this crime, if he is convicted, is 12 months in jail plus a $2500 fine. In a compromise verdict, he might get convicted but only fined. If the woman, after effective cross-examination, doesn't seem completely credible, even a convservative law and order Virginia jury will acquit.

I don't know enough to predict an outcome but, despite the local religious fervor for the Redskins, at least the kind of biased jury theorized in the original post is not likely to be assembled.

One thing Boomer, the incident didn't happen in Virginia it happened in Washington D.C. As you probably know all charges in D.C. are handled federally; prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney's Office in front U.S. Courts, so it's a little different. 12 not 7 person jury. A D.C. jury not Northern VA jury, big difference in demographics (not sure what that signifigance of that would be in these type of cases; your thoughts ?

The one year max sentence would be the same in the federal system.

Another thing sentencing hearings are ussally held 2-4 months after conviction (in federal courts). Getting the date pushed back a couple months after that for one reason or another is easy and routine. I believe unless the judge is a serious hard ass that he could get the sentencing delayed (if he's convicted) until after the season. Has Goddell been handing out suspensions while actions were pending with the court ? I know he can, anyone think of any examples of him doing it.

Last edited:

They voted to acquit that Casey Anthony, didn't they? The jury hated her with a passion. I think that juries, particularly a well picked one, would probably overlook the fact that Haynesworth was a POS football player for the Redskins when it comes down to deliberating a criminal matter.

Consider me naive, but I have a little bit more faith in the judicial system.

The Casey Anthony trial is one of the reasons why I DON'T have faith in the judicial system.

They voted to acquit that Casey Anthony, didn't they? The jury hated her with a passion. I think that juries, particularly a well picked one, would probably overlook the fact that Haynesworth was a POS football player for the Redskins when it comes down to deliberating a criminal matter.

Consider me naive, but I have a little bit more faith in the judicial system.

I think there was a quote from an Anthony Juror who said that they wanted to vote guilty and they were mad at the prosecutor that he didn't do enough to vote guilty without reasonable doubt. They felt she did it, but the evidence didn't support their feelings.

Read this article in Friday's Washington Post and decide if you think the federal government is fooling around.

Albert's comments about white and black women will go over really big with federal proscutors Heide Herrmann and Sharon Donovan, two attorneys with lots of experience with sexual misconduct cases in DC.

Albert Haynesworth’s attorneys accused of offering bribe in sex-abuse case - The Washington Post

My guess is that Belichick's tune changes from day-to-day to four-to-six (months) with time off for good behavior. Should be interesting.

Last edited:

When he fly's w/ the team would he be considered a "Flight Risk"???

the sentencing can be delayed if he is convicted. It seems like it is a "he said she said trial" or need I say a "he swiped she griped" situation :cool:. Get the Redskins out of the courtroom so their bias of hate towards AH does not come into play.
We do not need angry football fans in the courtroom. Maybe AH will find a sympathetic juror or 2:)

So, James Harrison can beat his girlfriend and only get fined, but this guy supposedly touches a woman's breast sexually while putting the Credit Card in her blouse and he may get suspended.

I don't condone any of it, but could they at least try and set standards for the penalization of these infractions and stick to them.

Remember, Harrison plays for the Sainted Stealers, the Rapistbooger's suspension notwithstanding.

According to the nattering nabobs of the national press, the Rooneys can do no wrong, though of course they've done wrong, and plenty of it.

Read this article in Friday's Washington Post and decide if you think the federal government is fooling around.

Albert's comments about white and black women will go over really big with federal proscutors Heide Herrmann and Sharon Donovan, two attorneys with lots of experience with sexual misconduct cases in DC.

Albert Haynesworth’s attorneys accused of offering bribe in sex-abuse case - The Washington Post

My guess is that Belichick's tune changes from day-to-day to four-to-six (months) with time off for good behavior. Should be interesting.

This is legal manuevering by the prosecutor and looks to be a bit of a hail mary. The procecutor knows his case is significantly damaged because Haynesworth's attorneys found out that allegedly the waitress offered a security guard $50k to testify that Haynesworth groped her which will basically destroy the prosecutions case. If the judge allows this security guard to testify, the prosecutor has no case especially if the security guard testified in the grand jury that voted to indict him.

A defendent offering money to a victim which will ultimately stop them from testifying is a common practice. It happens every day. It seems to be a hail mary by the prosecutor.

The odds of Haynesworth losing this case are relatively slim at this point. It is doubtful the prosecutor will get Haynesworth's comments in because they are prejudicial (not about race, but the comments are inflamatory that they are likely to influence the jury beyond the facts of the case). If the judge allows the security guard to testify that the waitress offered him $50k to testify that he saw Haynesworth grope her, it provides reasonable doubt in a he said/she said argument unless there are some impeachable witnesses that claim that they saw Haynesworth do it.

My guess is Haynesworth will be back with the team on Thursday.

Does it really matter what the prosecutors think of his comments about what type of women he dates?

I am typing this from Washington D.C., the location of Haynesworth's trial, which begins tomorrow.

The masses here hate Albert Haynesworth with a total passion. You can cut the hatred with a knife.

Does anybody else on this board worry about the outcome of the trial? How is he supposed to get a fair trial?

I'm worried? Is anybody else?

Although the people in the DC area are very supportive of their team, personally I would not be all that concerned. Even though it seems like every one in the world follows football passionately, that's not really the case; it just seems that way to us because most everyone we associate with are football fans - people have a natural tendency to spend time with similar interests. There are still plenty of people that don't follow the NFL and could care less about the home team in the region in which they live.

Haynesworth sentence...

160 hours of community service per Reiss/ABC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe