PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hawk or Gino?? - Gino or Hawk??

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hawkins has done a very good job at FS for the past 2 games. After the bye Gino will probably be back.

So, what should the Patriots do? Gino gets his starting job back? Keep Hawk in there? Move Gino to CB? What about Hobbs?

It's a very good and interesting problem to ponder.

Geno has been a piece of crap lately.

Why? I don't know.

What to do? I dont know.

But I trust BB to make the right call.

I think Gino should be moved to CB and Hawkins should stay at FS.

As much as people complain about Geno's problems, it's not that he is getting burned in coverage. I think Geno is good enough in coverage to be a CB while Hawkins is better as the last line of defense which is what a safety is.

This doesn't mean that Geno should be never used at safety. The ability of the Pats to mix it up like that is part of what makes the defense so good.

My guess is that the Patriots will find plenty of opportunities for three safeties (Harrison, Wilson, Hawkins) to contribute over the course of the season.

Move Gino to corner, slot at first slowly transitioning to starter, and play more zone coverage.

Gino is having the same problem that Troy polamalu is having, and what bob sanders will eventually have. eugene has never really wrapped up when he makes a tackle. his first two years hes played like a human torpedo, throwing his body at his target and not wrapping up. guys a are now bouncing off of him because of his inability to wrap up and picking up extra yds. hawkins makes the fundamental tackles you look for,but eugene makes the ints you want also.

Hey franchise, what's with the Twiggy avatar?

Keep the Hawk at safety and spell Geno and Hobbs at CB as one is bound to get hurt sooner or later.

Last edited:
the twiggy avatar serves as a message that we can win without him, every time we win a game and I post here I laugh at that avatar knowing that the twig ran away to the living hell that most former pats mistake for greener pastures. at one point the avatar was a sign of my support now its just the target on my dartboard "figuratively speaking"

I think that we will see Hawkins as the starting FS and Wilson lining up at corner.

In all honestly, I think Samuel would make a great free safety.

Franchise12 said:
the twiggy avatar serves as a message that we can win without him, every time we win a game and I post here I laugh at that avatar knowing that the twig ran away to the living hell that most former pats mistake for greener pastures. at one point the avatar was a sign of my support now its just the target on my dartboard "figuratively speaking"

Good answer.

Franchise12 said:
Gino is having the same problem that Troy polamalu is having, and what bob sanders will eventually have. eugene has never really wrapped up when he makes a tackle. his first two years hes played like a human torpedo, throwing his body at his target and not wrapping up. guys a are now bouncing off of him because of his inability to wrap up and picking up extra yds. hawkins makes the fundamental tackles you look for,but eugene makes the ints you want also.

Good post. You are getting to the core of the problem here. Some of our DB's dont wrap up well. That human torpedo move used to work with the smurf WR's. But with the bigger WR's in the league now, they just bounce off. This is a fundamentals issue and is correctable with coaching. But it needs to be done.

Well as for this year its a nice problem to have but I think it will work itself out cause Asante's asking price will be to high and we will draft another corner and Gino can play the other corner position next year while the young rookie is learning the Pats defense. This year he will certainly help in the dime packages and if I had to make the decision it would be awfully hard to bench Hawkins cause he has played very well I would take consistency over interceptions anyday especially when you are giving up big plays at the same rate just my thoughts. I'm just so happy that Rodney is back I can say Boom like old John Madden now.

shirtsleeve said:
Good post. You are getting to the core of the problem here. Some of our DB's dont wrap up well. That human torpedo move used to work with the smurf WR's. But with the bigger WR's in the league now, they just bounce off. This is a fundamentals issue and is correctable with coaching. But it needs to be done.

It's the kind of thing where when it works it's great (big hit) but when it doesn't the price can be high (long gain).

zippo59 said:
It's the kind of thing where when it works it's great (big hit) but when it doesn't the price can be high (long gain).

Exactly. Unfortunately though, with the increased size of the wideouts, these big hits aren't having the effect they used to. Time to forget the "jacked up" segment and play good fundamental football.

In a fight i would take Hawkins.

But i heard Gino is better at Madden.

As far as football is concerned i would like to see both on the field at the same time.
I'm a HUGE supporter of the Hawkins/Harrison project

during the begals game two weeks ago there was a play where rudy johnson got past our d line and linebackers and the last line of defense was artrell hawkins. Artrell made the fundamental tackle, a very textbook tackle. During that play I had to wonder what the result of that play would have been if eugene was that last line of defense. the answer: TOUCHDOWN: Rudy Johnson. I wound put a little focus on converting eugene back to cb especially with asante probally not coming back.

Franchise12 said:
during the begals game two weeks ago there was a play where rudy johnson got past our d line and linebackers and the last line of defense was artrell hawkins. Artrell made the fundamental tackle, a very textbook tackle. During that play I had to wonder what the result of that play would have been if eugene was that last line of defense. the answer: TOUCHDOWN: Rudy Johnson. I wound put a little focus on converting eugene back to cb especially with asante probally not coming back.
Yessir. The very tackle you speak of is sitting right on my desktop right now. :)
patsfanswallweek4smallcg8.jpg

Other sizes at http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=42903&highlight=wallpaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes