PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Has Anyone Heard From Talib About The Trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard a interview on 98.5 with his college coach who has spoken with him. He told him that he was excited to be coming to New England and looks at it has a chance to start fresh.

Giggity!!!

Here's what he said: "I'm very excited to finally be playing in the AFC East, where I belong. Because, the Jets SUCK! The minute I was traded to New England I circled Thanksgiving on my calendar."

Have to admit that the one thing that is truly odd about this deal getting done is the fact that no one from NE has been allowed to have the customary sit down, eye to eye, man to man with him prior to taking him on. Normally guys with baggage and concerns have to pass the sit down test with BB and in some cases Kraft. Moss had to beg and cry. Bill was if anything more clipped than usual when asked about that situation (trading for a player you couldn't even speak to) on WEEI yesterday. Schiano had that conversation with him heading into his first season as his HC and chose to retain him - only to have him do something incredibly stupid that cost them his services for 4 games just weeks into their first season together...

I hope it all works out and he not only adds impact talent to the secondary but proves to be a player his teamates and coaches can depend on. For at least several games extending into the playoffs. Obviously the team believes they need him to or they wouldn't have paid the price they did for essentially an unknown rental with some troubling baggage. Whose limited play in Tampa this season didn't give Schiano any pause when opportunity knocked.

It will be fascinating to watch how this all plays out because on the one hand the better the short term result the less likely the long term potential due to his contract status.

Hoping for the best.... Lets not be Eric Bedard kind of judgemental....

May be the kid can get his act together and can help us. I am sure his new teammates can help him to keep out of trouble.

Mark Mangino ‘very fond’ of Aqib Talib - BostonHerald.com

Mangino was Talib’s coach at Kansas, and the two have been very close for about a decade. Mangino could be considered one of Talib’s most valued mentors, and he was impressed with the cornerback’s outlook after the Buccaneers traded him to the Pats last week.

“He’s ready to make the most of it, and he told me (Friday) morning on the phone that he’s very, very excited to go to the Patriots,” Mangino told the Herald......
Aqib Talib gets high marks from his former coach - BostonHerald.com

Ledford didn’t want to focus on Talib’s negativity, because that wasn’t the kid he knew. They still keep in touch, primarily during the NFL offseason, and Ledford believed the move to New England will work out for the 26-year-old, who has returned to his old high school to conduct a football camp for hundreds of kids. Talib brought T-shirts, food, drinks and teammates to help run the camp, and he’d stick around until every kid went home.

“The good side of Aqib is definitely there,” Ledford said. “Some of the other sides that people are seeing, I don’t know what you’re talking about, and I don’t know what they’re talking about. He’s been very good to us and good to our kids here, good to our community and good for our community. We just hope the best for him as he goes to New England. I was elated when I saw that’s where he was traded. I think good things will happen to Aqib, and I think good things will happen in New England for him.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/s...r-football-team-that’s-why-we-traded-for-him/
“I think he’s a good player,” said Belichik. “I think he can help our football team. That’s why we traded for him.

“Right now really, our focus is on the Bills and the players that will be preparing for the game with the team and the players that are here at this time,” said Belichick. “We’ll take that as it comes. When he gets here, we’ll deal with that then.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to admit that the one thing that is truly odd about this deal getting done is the fact that no one from NE has been allowed to have the customary sit down, eye to eye, man to man with him prior to taking him on. Normally guys with baggage and concerns have to pass the sit down test with BB and in some cases Kraft.
Lombardi said the Patriots had an extensive talk with Talib with the Bucs' permission. Just because he's suspended doesn't mean the league wouldn't allow the Patriots to talk to him to see if they want to trade for him.

Yeah id be furious if i got traded from a perennial loser to a team that is constantly a Superbowl pick.

Some people don't care about winning.

He's likely relocated his family to Florida and might very well enjoy the state more than New England (who wouldn't. lived here my whole life and it's just not that great)

Hoping for the best.... Lets not be Eric Bedard kind of judgemental....

May be the kid can get his act together and can help us. I am sure his new teammates can help him to keep out of trouble.

Mark Mangino ‘very fond’ of Aqib Talib - BostonHerald.com

Aqib Talib gets high marks from his former coach - BostonHerald.com

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: The Blitz» Blog Archive » Bill Belichick on Aqib Talib: “I think he

Thanks for all the quotes. It'd be ideal if his only real problem is the temper.

He's likely relocated his family to Florida and might very well enjoy the state more than New England (who wouldn't. lived here my whole life and it's just not that great)

$98 round trip tickets from Boston to Orlando, I'm sure he'll be able to deal with it.

In regards to not caring about winning, Those people dont make it to the nfl.

Ummmm, he was DRAFTED to play in Tampa.

The guy CHOSE to go to Kansas for his college career and reportedly loved it there. Foxboro isn't that different.

Last edited:
Have to admit that the one thing that is truly odd about this deal getting done is the fact that no one from NE has been allowed to have the customary sit down, eye to eye, man to man with him prior to taking him on. Normally guys with baggage and concerns have to pass the sit down test with BB and in some cases Kraft.

That worked out so well with Ocho, et. al. that maybe BB realizes his judgement is flawed. :)

Lombardi said the Patriots had an extensive talk with Talib with the Bucs' permission. Just because he's suspended doesn't mean the league wouldn't allow the Patriots to talk to him to see if they want to trade for him.

When did he say that? Not on D&C Friday. Lombardi did say on D&C that conversation is yet to come, as is one with Kraft. Although the dye has been cast.

Maybe he's keeping quiet while he works on a video with Brandon Spikes.

his silence is a good thing. Talib is showing a little intelligence. He knows he got traded to a team where the coach has no problem sitting one his best players in a key game for somewhat harmless joke during an interview.

If really wants to show intelligence, he won't go near a reporter for the rest of the season.

This is a make or break opportunity for Talib - He is probably taking no chances with screwing this up - He will probably do a presser early next week , and give as all the customary cliches.
I like this move low risk high reward ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore