PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Harbaugh's Declined Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Saw it come up in another thread, didn't want to thread-jack, but it was the right call for several reasons.

The chances of recovering an onside kick when the opposition is expecting it is 21%. The chances of recovering two in a row are roughly 4%. Plus the plays in between to score twice. I get that it's a slim chance. This article puts it at approximately 0.002%.

However, it also goes on to show since 2001, teams in one-possession games have run 832 plays in the final 43 seconds with 0 turnovers. That is slightly better than the 0.002%. Even if you factor in one potential fumble, the win probability changes to 0.002%.

So it was statistically better, and even if you cheat the numbers, it still wasn't any worse. But here's the difference.

The offense runs two kneel-downs. Pretty low-risk, not just from an execution point of view but an injury point of view. Or you can risk the onside kick where there's a scrum, a potential injury, and then some deep balls thrown into crowds, where there's another risk of injury. Assuming perfection from Seattle, that's still a potential 4 or 5 live plays for your defense/special teams where someone could get hurt.

Considering this is a game after a short week against a physical opponent like the Giants and it was absolutely the right decision. I'm sorry some people lost some money but it really was the right decision no matter how you look at it.

edit: nm

But yes, it was absolutely correct to decline it.

Last edited:
edit: nm

But yes, it was absolutely correct to decline it.

But if he doesn't decline it, it becomes 15-6 and is a TWO score game.....
While anything in terms of a freak play can happen for one score, it is less likely to happen, have a successful onside kick on a free kick and then score again....

But if he doesn't decline it, it becomes 15-6 and is a TWO score game.....
While anything in terms of a freak play can happen for one score, it is less likely to happen, have a successful onside kick on a free kick and then score again....

Again, the odds of winning are in favour of declining.

And again, there are fewer high-risk plays where injuries can occur.

The football Gods do not appreciate a team that declines the opportunity to go into victory formation.

Wouldnt it be a lot easier to recover an onside punt?

Well obviously the answer is yes, the only video i found of an NFL onside punt was this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otfo88wfNyE

Even though the Jets dont recover in this situation the Giants struggle to deal with it and are saved by the ball going out of bounds. So much more you can do punting the ball and the obvious answer to me seems to just send it high and short and get all your guys underneath it fighting for it.

Last edited:
It was obviously the right call to make for the reasons you stated; but then I thought that was obvious at the time?

Wouldnt it be a lot easier to recover an onside punt?

Well obviously the answer is yes, the only video i found of an NFL onside punt was this one:

New York Jets Onside Punt - YouTube

Even though the Jets dont recover in this situation the Giants struggle to deal with it and are saved by the ball going out of bounds. So much more you can do punting the ball and the obvious answer to me seems to just send it high and short and get all your guys underneath it fighting for it.

You would need to bounce it off the ground somehow. If you punted it straight up in the air, the receiving team would only have to signal for a fair catch and then there could be no contact from the kicking team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST