Better Patriot duo?

• Gronk/Edelman

Votes: 93 85.3%
  • Moss/Welker

Votes: 16 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah he is just a 3rd down guy, really just a backup to Lewis who would be a lot less effective. Good problem to have when you have to go down that far to find an advantage that the 07 team had depth wise.

Morris had the really one good year for us when we needed him
Sammy Morris was really good, and he could do everything. Ran hard, could get the edge, could catch, could block. IMO, our best RB between Dillon 2004 and Ridley 2012. I think he would've wrestled a lot of carries from Maroney down the stretch in 2007 if he was healthy.

So a guy that took a beating for years and years, game after game, from everyone and just got up time and time again wouldnt be able to take that hit because you say so.

Well hell, since you say it isn't so, I guess you're right!

Well hell, since you say it isn't so, I guess you're right!
No, You made a claim. I am questioning it and trying to show some empirical evidence that presents your claim as a bit dubious.

The fact that he can ask Ernie about that in the middle of the game and Ernie knows the name almost immediately is ridiculous.
70 years from now, some QB will get injured and the coach will ask the booth guy - Who was that guy that played before Brady ;)

That comment to Welker about Wally Pipp during the "Football Life" show (2009 season) sure seems prescient now, don't it?

I love this every time it gets posted somewhere.

Amendola would have said to coach "That's my job"

I don't know which combo was better, but here's hoping for another super duo to add to the list in about 5 years.

Update:

17-1 record, 36.6 PPG since KC

If my math is right update on the update: 20-2 since the Week Four 2014 loss to KC.*

Losses to Green Bay at Green Bay and to Buffalo Week 17 when starters rested.

Amazing.

*Fixed earlier post...

Last edited:
That comment to Welker about Wally Pipp during the "Football Life" show (2009 season) sure seems prescient now, don't it?

This clip is awesome. BB's football life is one my favorite shows about Belichick. So many good scenes in this documentary. I liked it as much as Do Your Job and maybe more. It's just too bad they filmed it about the 2009 team. Would have been awesome if they did it for last year's team or this year.

He's a capable, unspectacular backup. Nothing more.
He might be capable?

I don't know. He can't get on the field. I need to see more than one or two plays for first downs before I can ignore the stench of "Wisconsin Running Back" on him.

He might be capable?

I don't know. He can't get on the field. I need to see more than one or two plays for first downs before I can ignore the stench of "Wisconsin Running Back" on him.
He did fine when Dion was out. Blocked, caught a few passes....

With that said I dont see him on the team in 2016.

I still say that Welker and Moss were more transformational than either Gronk or Edelmen.....those two players were partly responsible for turning Brady into an "elite quarterback" with fantasy points through the wazoo!
Brady was an elite QB before he got a lot of fantasy points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brady was an elite QB before he got a lot of fantasy points.

I agree, but the overwhelming perception pre-2007 was that he wasn't. After Moss and Welker, it became indisputable that Brady was a MVP-worthy quarterback, with the best record in the League.

If my math is right update on the update: 21-1 since the Week Four 2014 loss to KC.

That one loss came in week 17 while resting the starters.

Amazing.
We also lost to Green Bay.

Gronk by consensus this year is a top 10 player in the league and a top 2 non-QB. I think the majority of observers would halve those figures, making a top-5 player and the very top non-QB, ahead of Watt in this terrible Houston season.

I don't think there was quite the same view of Moss, record-setting season notwithstanding.

On the other hand, Welker was a Pro Bowler and Edelman probably won't be.

With that as background, I'd say that the view of Gronk as being ahead of Moss is probably right. Moss made a huge contribution with his plays, but he didn't twist entire defenses into knots the way Gronk seems to.

On Welker vs. Edelman, I have to think that if Edelman were used the way Welker was he'd be as good. His much greater catch radius outweighs his dropsies; he's always been yet better than Welker at YAC; and I think he's become an outstanding route runner by now, which is the only area where Welker could be potentially ahead. (Except, of course, for backup placekicking ...)

I agree, but the overwhelming perception pre-2007 was that he wasn't. After Moss and Welker, it became indisputable that Brady was a MVP-worthy quarterback, with the best record in the League.
You implied they transformed him into an elite QB not that they made fantasy football fans notice.

Gronk by consensus this year is a top 10 player in the league and a top 2 non-QB. I think the majority of observers would halve those figures, making a top-5 player and the very top non-QB, ahead of Watt in this terrible Houston season.

I don't think there was quite the same view of Moss, record-setting season notwithstanding.

On the other hand, Welker was a Pro Bowler and Edelman probably won't be.

With that as background, I'd say that the view of Gronk as being ahead of Moss is probably right. Moss made a huge contribution with his plays, but he didn't twist entire defenses into knots the way Gronk seems to.

On Welker vs. Edelman, I have to think that if Edelman were used the way Welker was he'd be as good. His much greater catch radius outweighs his dropsies; he's always been yet better than Welker at YAC; and I think he's become an outstanding route runner by now, which is the only area where Welker could be potentially ahead. (Except, of course, for backup placekicking ...)

Edelman is as good as Welker.

2015 stats extrapolated to 16 games

118 catches for 1334 yards 11.2avg 13 TDs. Pretty much only Welker's 2011 season would be better. And that was with Welker getting to pad his stats at the beginning of the lockout season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes