PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gresh/Zo: Troy Brown likely headed to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Troy Brown likely headed to Cleveland

What a terrible way to end his remarkable, distinguished career here. Thanks, Bill.
Not sure why you're blaming Belichick. These things are never easy. But if it's time for a team to move on to younger players and the veterans aren't ready to hang it up this happens, it's unavoidable.

Last edited:

Not sure why you're blaming Belichick. These things are never easy. But if it's time for a team to move on to younger players and the veterans aren't ready to hang it up this happens, it's unavoidable.

I blame Beilichick for not activating Troy in the regular-season finale, with the chance to break the single-season record for # of TD pass-catchers.

I blame him for not activating Troy in the AFCC, the last home game of the season, and now of his career as a Patriot.

I blame him for not activating Troy in the SB, where he should have led his team to the field, as the senior Patriot, and to victory.

Now if BB has informed Troy that, barring injuries, he would be only 6th on the depth chart behind Moss, Welker, Gaffney CJ, and Washington, then I don't have a problem with his leaving to seek a higher place on someone else's depth chart; I only wish that he had stayed here to compete for that higher place.

Unfortunately, it now appears that he will no longer be putting on the uniform of the NEP.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...ely_to_receive_offer_to_return_for_16th_year/

What a terrible way to end his remarkable, distinguished career here. Thanks, Bill.

I've said it once, I'll say it again. Belichick admitted to holding onto players that were beyond their years because they were vets that produced from him in the past and he got burned for it (2002), he said he'd never make that mistake again. Observing this, I feel good knowing he's a man of his word and has put the team in front of his personal feelings for a player.

Actually, if Brown wants to play so bad, why should we sign him to sit on the bench. It would serve him best to let him go to a team that will actually need him and let him try and finish his career on the field, not on the bench !

The old damned if you do, damned if you don't jab.

This actually should have had it's own thread since we have no real idea what Troy has decided to do and just the report the team has told him he's not in the plans for 2008. I'd have thought he would be, ala Tedy, if they believed he could still play even some at any of three positions. 16 years is a long time. I think he should have been active for the Superbowl, almost felt like bad karma that he wasn't. But if he's not going to be active, I'd just as soon he not be on the roster. His choice whether that means he hangs 'em up or tries to catch on somewhere else for one more shot at ending his career on his own terms.

Troy not coming back really should have its own thread.

It's not unexpected news, but it doesn't make it any less sad. It'll be weird to watch a Pats team without Troy or to see Troy on another team.

I am afraid that some people forget what Troy meant to this team, everyone has moved onto Moss and the new generation it seems. Reiss had a piece highlighting a few key Brown moments. Hell, you could write a book on all the special things Brown has done over his career here. I can remember having my fantasy football team name as either "I love Troy Brown" or "Bingo, we have Bingo" for a span of a few years.

What are the Pats supposed to do? Should they carry him until he reaches Social Security? I love Troy but he has no spot on this team anymore. If he finds a spot somewhere else, God bless and good luck. Blaming BB for this is just idiotic.

This actually should have had it's own thread since we have no real idea what Troy has decided to do and just the report the team has told him he's not in the plans for 2008. I'd have thought he would be, ala Tedy, if they believed he could still play even some at any of three positions. 16 years is a long time. I think he should have been active for the Superbowl, almost felt like bad karma that he wasn't. But if he's not going to be active, I'd just as soon he not be on the roster. His choice whether that means he hangs 'em up or tries to catch on somewhere else for one more shot at ending his career on his own terms.

I thought about creating a new thread about Troy after reading Reiss' Pieces this morning, but I decided to retrieve this older (page 4) one instead. New threads are created every day, so sometimes older, but still relevant, ones tend to get lost and forgotten in the back pages.

What I hope becomes the silver lining in this cloud is that the FO acquires, via the draft/UDFA, a young slot WR/KOR/PR. The WR depth chart, barring injuries, could then look like this:
Moss - Welker
CJ - Gaffney
Washington - Rookie WR/KOR/PR

I had hoped that Mewelde Moore would be signed to assume the KOR/PR duties, and to be groomed as Faulk's replacement; that ship, unfortunately, has sailed to Pittsburgh.

Andre Tippet is still standing. How about John Hannah? No one gave more of their body than Grogan did. How about him? Let's just carry around everyone who has meant so much to the Pats. Troy has meant a lot but you're a new fan or you have a short memory if you think he's meant more than some of the other Pats who've retired. Everybody gets replaced at some point.

Some people might say bad karma is having guys help you out all season and than when the SB comes around yuo sit them for the nastalgic Troy.

This is a sad day, though I don't think anyone is really surprised.

Good luck Troy...Thanks for the memories!

And to the poster who complained he wasn't active for the AFCG, why would he be? He wasn't active or part of the receiving corps all year when healthy and you really can't take chances in the playoffs. You couldn't keep active a WR that wasn't going to play (esp considering the weather) when that guy doesn't play special teams.

I guess I'm happy for him, but I'm very very sad for me. I really don't want to see Troy in another uniform.

No one does:(

I blame Beilichick for not activating Troy in the regular-season finale, with the chance to break the single-season record for # of TD pass-catchers.

I blame him for not activating Troy in the AFCC, the last home game of the season, and now of his career as a Patriot.

I blame him for not activating Troy in the SB, where he should have led his team to the field, as the senior Patriot, and to victory.

Now if BB has informed Troy that, barring injuries, he would be only 6th on the depth chart behind Moss, Welker, Gaffney CJ, and Washington, then I don't have a problem with his leaving to seek a higher place on someone else's depth chart; I only wish that he had stayed here to compete for that higher place.
i guess he should of done this with mcginest, vinetari,law, milloy, etc. come on give me a break this isnt senior day in high school

I dont know why people are shocked.. Troy to me has not played a meaningful game since 2006 AFC title game in Indy... Troy was a great player for the Pats, but its time to say good bye.. He was a great from for the Pats.. But the last 2 yrs his role diminshed.. I love Troy, sad to see him go.. But some threads blaming Belichick.. You might as well Blame Belichick for Ferroro's comments, or Spitzers actions:rolleyes:

Last edited:

1) Troy was inactive for the final regular-season game vs the jints, when the opportunity was there for the NEP to break the single-season record, held by the donkeys, of most players scoring at least one TD. That record meant more to me than Moss' bogus record.

Un-freakin'-believable! That is why you wanted TB to play? To break some
stupid record held by the donkeys vs hobbling the team going for a perfect
season? Un-freakin'-believable! :rolleyes:

2) Troy was also inactive for the SB, when he should have instead been leading his teammates out of the runway during pre-game introductions.

Why, to hobble the team even more? It's over for Mr. Brown. Think Requiem for
a Heavyweight over... :rolleyes:

Belichick said after the 2002 season that he held onto players using his heart not his brain and that he'd never do that again !

Is that true? Where did you read that? I did not see it in Patriot Reign or Education of a Coach...maybe I just missed it.

I guess I'm happy for him, but I'm very very sad for me. I really don't want to see Troy in another uniform.

I agree.....I would love to see Troy do the Brett Favre thing ...FINALLY....(and maybe the Pats could convince him to be a WR coach or something.) Troy NEEDS to retire a Patriot......I am not sure how much more Troy can bring to the table, but if he is not 100% or has lost a step, it is going to be like watching Rice in his last year with the Raiders...........I hope they can talk him out of going to the Brownies....

I hope they can talk him out of going to the Brownies....

not their place to do so.

Personally I would love to see troy play here but if he isnt better than what we got than that would be foolish. If offers something to a team say cleveland than I would be happy to see him play there and hope he can contribute. Hopefully the only work he can find isn't for a division rival or somone with a horse for a mascot.

let me pose this question to everyone who says he should retire.

What does he offer you when he is done and you can't watch him play?
What was better about Jerry Rice's retirement than his final season in the NFL?

to me there is something fun about watchin the guys that I have grown up watching. I wish Farve had come back to play another one too.

Last edited:

Because some people are absolutely 100% confident that Troy Brown can no longer offer anything to our team and should retire.

Kind of like PFT was confident Moss was on the bubble last year…

WEEI reported on my way home tonight on a flash update that Troy has had interest from several teams including Cleveland and Detroit. They are reporting he is only interested in playing for a team who WILL NOT play the Patriots this season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST