PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gresh/Zo: Troy Brown likely headed to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Troy Brown likely headed to Cleveland

TB in another uniform is Heresy, but then again, I don't blame him one bit if it happens. Still, it would suck.

That's just how I feel.

He he, a Christian and a Jew agreeing on what constitutes heresy... gotta love it :D

As I said, I still don't see how Jackson or Washington (0 receptions combined 2007) are locks for the 4th spot.
Jackson was a very high draft pick who was hurt for two years. To many here that makes him a bust, but to BB it makes him their second pick of the draft who has been hurt for two years. His signing bonus has been paid, and he earns veteran minimum. Why would you cut a guy who hasn't had a chance to show what he can do, when the potential is sky high and the cost is only about $400,000??

As far as Washington, he was active every game, and Troy wasn't. That is a pretty good sign that he is more valued than Troy.

He he, a Christian and a Jew agreeing on what constitutes heresy... gotta love it :D

Come on, you know that Christians are just lazy Jews without all the guilt.

Come on, you know that Christians are just lazy Jews without all the guilt.

And tastier food. Don't forget the food. Mmmmm...... bacon.

And tastier food. Don't forget the food. Mmmmm...... bacon.

That's true. There's nothing worse than kosher catering.

Jackson was a very high draft pick who was hurt for two years. To many here that makes him a bust, but to BB it makes him their second pick of the draft who has been hurt for two years. His signing bonus has been paid, and he earns veteran minimum. Why would you cut a guy who hasn't had a chance to show what he can do, when the potential is sky high and the cost is only about $400,000??

As far as Washington, he was active every game, and Troy wasn't. That is a pretty good sign that he is more valued than Troy.

Active for ST purposes - not WR.

And again, Jackson is still not a lock at his point. He has proven nothing.

Where would he fit in? What could his role possibly be other than 'the old guy who replaced Welker when disaster struck and our #2 receiver went down with an injury'? He doesn't have his 'quicks' anymore. Frankly, if he came back, I'd hope it was to play cornerback, as a dime/slot defender.

If he wants to play, this is the best situation. What a role model for Romeo's team.

It's really a happier ending than any other if he wants to play because he doesn't make the Pats with Welker here.

There will be a one game contract in his future, guaranteed.

Last edited:

As much as I would like Brown to retire a Patriot, the team has moved on. Welker has proven to be one of he best slot recievers in the league. All the best to Troy if he leaves. If he can go and improve the Browns, good for him. but it is not in the best interest of the team to keep him. With Moss/Gaff on the outside, Welker in the slot and some developmental time for CJ and Washington, where would he play?

That's true. There's nothing worse than kosher catering.

im a Christian and ill take corn beef and patato pancakes over bacon any day lol

im a Christian and ill take corn beef and patato pancakes over bacon any day lol

mmmmm a corned beef sandwich toped with potato pancake and bacon.

And how is being inactive better than being active? Hey, I like Troy, too, and it would be great if he made the team, but let's not pretend that he rates higher with the staff than Washington. Washington played down the stretch, and Troy didn't. That is a pretty good sign that he is more valued than Troy.
Think about it.

Didn't say Jackson was a lock. I said, "Jackson was a very high draft pick who was hurt for two years. To many here that makes him a bust, but to BB it makes him their second pick of the draft who has been hurt for two years. His signing bonus has been paid, and he earns veteran minimum. Why would you cut a guy who hasn't had a chance to show what he can do, when the potential is sky high and the cost is only about $400,000?"

"Proven nothing" is just dumb.

First, you don't make the team by proving you could play in prior years, you make the team by convincing the staff that you will do better THIS COMING YEAR than the next guy. If you had to prove something BEFORE you could make a team, no draft pick wold ever get signed. Like all draft picks, Jackson made the team based on what he did in college. What little he played his first year, he looked pretty good to me.

Second, you and I have no idea what Jackson has or has not shown to the staff, but they have cut picks from the last two years and haven't cut him.

Again I’m referring solely to the #4th WR spot.

Neither of the above should be considered locks for that spot, thus still leaving Troy in the mix.

The Patriot's 4th receiver hasn't played an offensive snap in a year and was inactive for most of the games.

The Patriot's 5th receiver is a special teamer who I don't even know played an offensive snap this year.

Sounds to me like the Patriots have some of the worst depth in the league at WR after the top 3. Why not sign up Brown, let him kick it on PUP for a nice two month vaca, and play some defensive back when Hobbs gets injured or Harrison gets suspended. Seriously, Brown can extend the roster for an extra..........offensive lineman or linebacker. At the very least, I hope he signs on as a receivers coach for the team at some point after he retires.

Maybe BB told Troy "you're welcome to come back, and right now I'd place you at #4, but I can't guarantee that you'll still be at #4 at the end of preseason"

Maybe Troy wants to go to a situation where he knows he will be the #3 or #4 receiver.

Maybe Troy doesn't want to spend the entire season on the bench.

No one's at fault here

hell be on the bench with the browns as well....

with donte, jurevicious and braylon in front of him....and winslow is their target alot as wlel

I guess I'm happy for him, but I'm very very sad for me. I really don't want to see Troy in another uniform.

I'm seconding that. :mad:

GO check the stats, he was a healthy SCRATCH for several games. Some of those when Troy was on the pup list....I cant believe Krafty wont just pony up some $$ to hire Troy as a wr coach....and to retire a Patriot. By the way, Cleveland has a GREAT set of wr too(Edwards,Stallworth,Jurevicious). You cant tell me that new guy from Buffalo is going to take T.Browns spot??UGH

Isn't Uberstein ALSO Willie Mac's agent? Just sayin'....perhaps the "source close to Troy " is Willie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes