PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gresh/Zo: Troy Brown likely headed to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Troy Brown likely headed to Cleveland

GO check the stats, he was a healthy SCRATCH for several games. Some of those when Troy was on the pup list....I cant believe Krafty wont just pony up some $$ to hire Troy as a wr coach....and to retire a Patriot. By the way, Cleveland has a GREAT set of wr too(Edwards,Stallworth,Jurevicious). You cant tell me that new guy from Buffalo is going to take T.Browns spot??UGH

OK, that may be the most ridiculous thing I've read on this board this month. Are you serious? What makes you think that Troy would want to be a wr coach? You think that would be fun or financially worthwhile for him? UGH.

My GOD,I can't believe some of you, I mean I love Troy, but the man is old as dirt. He was a great Patriot, but I believe his time here is done. I wish he would retire a Patriot, but I certainly can't blame the man for trying to find a place to play and earn some more money.

Troy has absolutely no upside whatsoever. Why would anyone possibly think of keeping him over CJ, who has a huge upside. Some of you people just get way way to attached to our players. Football is a young man's game, and wide receiver is one of the positions that the effects of age make the biggest difference.

My GOD,I can't believe some of you, I mean I love Troy, but the man is old as dirt. He was a great Patriot, but I believe his time here is done. I wish he would retire a Patriot, but I certainly can't blame the man for trying to find a place to play and earn some more money.

Troy has absolutely no upside whatsoever. Why would anyone possibly think of keeping him over CJ, who has a huge upside. Some of you people just get way way to attached to our players. Football is a young man's game, and wide receiver is one of the positions that the effects of age make the biggest difference.

Right on!! Wes Welker is the young version of Troy Brown. I like you wish Troy well. Have no problem with the Patriots moving on just as I have no problem with Troy moving on and playing somewhere else. Hope Troy goes out on his terms and when he's done we'll hold a huge retirement party at Gillette. Troy Brown is a much loved ALL-TIME Patriot and what's nice is Troy knows it.

OK, that may be the most ridiculous thing I've read on this board this month. Are you serious? What makes you think that Troy would want to be a wr coach? You think that would be fun or financially worthwhile for him? UGH.

It's a constant refrain on this board, whenever a favorite player hits the end of his career: "let him retire and join the coaching staff!" As if coaching is just a pasture to be put out to, an easy way to stay with the team but avoid the physical grind of playing in the NFL. And as if the qualities that make a guy a good teammate and leader are identical to the qualities that make a successful coach. (Of course, the post you were responding to took it to a new level with the brilliant assumption that Troy would have joined the coaching staff if Bob Kraft weren't too cheap to hire him! :rolleyes:)

Coaching is an incredible grind with preposterous hours and a punishing travel schedule at much, much lower wage scale. IMO any player with a young family would be nuts to throw himself into that straight out of a long, lucrative playing career. Take a little time to enjoy your well-earned retirement, then assess your options.

Oh and Troy, you're awesome. Best of luck to you in all you do.

i would have loved he retired as a Patriot

but i'm happy for him

Last edited:

I guess I'm happy for him, but I'm very very sad for me. I really don't want to see Troy in another uniform.

I agree, patjew. I love TBrown and seeing him in another uniform would be too weird. However, I don't know how much I buy this rumor. I'll wait until it actually happens.

Jackson was a very high draft pick who was hurt for two years. To many here that makes him a bust, but to BB it makes him their second pick of the draft who has been hurt for two years. His signing bonus has been paid, and he earns veteran minimum. Why would you cut a guy who hasn't had a chance to show what he can do, when the potential is sky high and the cost is only about $400,000??

As far as Washington, he was active every game, and Troy wasn't. That is a pretty good sign that he is more valued than Troy.

I guess he's more valued than Chad too by that rationale. :rolleyes: Those are all the same arguments we heard for Bethel...

That said, I wouldn't say my farewell's to Troy based on Zo and Greshes musings.

Someone I would not be surprised to see on the edge rushing in Cleveland is Rosie since Willie was a shell of his former self for much of last season and he is more than likely teetering on the edge of gone. And Rmeo likely wants to keep infusing some of his former core guys onto that D just like Bill did here for a time.

Apparently RAC and BB have an agreement - longtime loyal Patriots "retire" from New England and get their reward and pension by being overpaid by the Browns.

As much as I wanted McGinest to retire a Patriot and never play for another team - just as I do Brown - these guys are at a level where, save for playing for a division rival, they can't tarnish their image around here by playing for another team.

It's a constant refrain on this board, whenever a favorite player hits the end of his career: "let him retire and join the coaching staff!" As if coaching is just a pasture to be put out to, an easy way to stay with the team but avoid the physical grind of playing in the NFL. And as if the qualities that make a guy a good teammate and leader are identical to the qualities that make a successful coach. (Of course, the post you were responding to took it to a new level with the brilliant assumption that Troy would have joined the coaching staff if Bob Kraft weren't too cheap to hire him! :rolleyes:)

Coaching is an incredible grind with preposterous hours and a punishing travel schedule at much, much lower wage scale. IMO any player with a young family would be nuts to throw himself into that straight out of a long, lucrative playing career. Take a little time to enjoy your well-earned retirement, then assess your options.

Oh and Troy, you're awesome. Best of luck to you in all you do.
Excellent post, patchick :eat1:

Excellent post, patchick :eat1:

Agreed. Troy is one of my top 5 Patriots ever, but like the Coacj says: "It is what it is."

Everything ends at some point. I wish him, IF this rumour is true, the very best luck, and a winning team, unless of course he's playing against us. :)

Thanks, Troy. You done good!

Is corn beef kosher or Irish?

A big debate at work on that subject.

"Troy, we're just going to let you go to Clevel...hold on, phone... Mr. Kraft? Yes sir Mr. Kraft. Yes sir. Romeo, sir. Just talking about old...about Troy? Of course not sir! We were just talking about some funny stuff that happened in 02... noooo, of course not!..."

Well it worked in 07. (Though I believe it was in person not the phone.)

PFnV

Cleveland is the only other team I could stomach seeing Troy play for. How about a playoff homecoming in January 2009...Troy Brown plays his final game at the razor.

Why would anyone possibly think of keeping him over CJ, who has a huge upside...

I'm not suggesting that Troy be kept over CJ. I just feel that, as of this morning, there is room on the 53 for both of them. Besides, injuries happen during TC; and having Troy available just-in-case changes a luxury to a necessity.

As I stated in another thread, I don't understand why the FO would sign Sam Aiken when Sam Aiken was already on the roster, in the name of Kelley Washington. Same height, weight, draft class, and recent experience in not catching passes.

If Troy doesn't return, then the FO needs to find another smurf who can play the slot, and perhaps just as importantly, return KOs and punts.

Is corn beef kosher or Irish?

A big debate at work on that subject.

Isn't the red corned beef Kosher, and the grey version Irish?

I'm Irish, but I prefer the red corned beef. In fact, I don't like the Irish "boiled suppah" at all.

Last edited:

Come on, you know that Christians are just lazy Jews without all the guilt.

I don't know where you get your information from, but I am a Roman Catholic, so we pretty much cornered the market on guilt ;)

as for lazy, you got me down to a T :D

I don't know where you get your information from, but I am a Roman Catholic, so we pretty much cornered the market on guilt ;)

as for lazy, you got me down to a T :D

Are you kidding me......guilt met it's match when introduced to my Jewish mother!!

As for Troy going to Cleveland.....I doubt it, same deal there that he would find here....lots of younger receivers to try to win a spot.

I think he has a job here if he can win it - I think BB would give him the chance to compete in training camp. He has position flexibility on his side and you never know who gets injured. Right now sure things are Moss, Welker, Jabbar and then we have three or four (due to special teams) more coming out of the mix with Brown, Jackson, Washington, Aikens & CJ Jones.

I see no reason Troy Brown could not fight for and win a spot.....

Last edited:

Things should have ended much, much differently for Troy here. That they didn't I lay squarely at the feet of the HC.

Care to expand on this ludicrous statement?

Right now Troy is our 4th-best WR. Why can't there be room for him on this team, until Jackson/Washington/Aiken prove their worthiness?

Troy is done, completely done. He is old, slow, and needs to retire. To suggest
anything else is burying your head in the sand and wishing things were the way
they "used to be." There is no room for sentiment in the NFL. When it's your
time, you go. I can't fathom, even for TB, that they would waste a roster spot
on him another year.

Dang. As others have said, happy for him, sad for us.

I'd rather see him move on now than hang around and compete for the fourth slot, only to be cut and have fewer options with other teams.

But, damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back