PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greg Olsen or Zach Miller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Please note, I am NOT suggesting the Pats *should* draft either of them, but it's not out of the question that they *might*.

But, let me pose this hypothetical: let's assume that Graham leaves, and BB thus can't resist the "need" to draft one of them at #28. Which one would you take, and why?

Last edited:
NEITHER.

Ok, I really don't know that much about either one. I'd answer, "Whoever's best at blocking." Miami Hurricane TE's don't have the best of track records in the NFL mind you.

This is really hard because both played with subpar QB's this past year. Neither is a stretch the defense down the seams type TE so we really are talking about blocking and short to intermediate pass catching. Based on this criteria, I'm picking Miller by default.
This past year Olsen had more drops, several in key situations, then any Miami TE has had in probably the past decade.

I didn't watch Miami much but did you see Olsen at that Skills competition that Chad Jackson did so well at last year ? Olsen looked equally sick, he didn't have a drop or anything close. I don't know a lot else about him but in a non game situation he had very natural hands.

Miller's write-up indicates he's the better blocker, which may not say much because the one pay service I use compares him to Todd Heap (same program). Yeh, Olsen put on a show for ESPN, but since he's getting compared to Shockey I'll pass for a card carrying water boy.

if u want a potential pro bowl receiving TE ..Olsen

if u want a guy who can receive and block very well with less upside. Miller

hands: hard..Olsen did drop quiet a few @ Miami though
Speed: Olsen
Blocking: Miller
routes: Olsen
upside: Olsen

Put me on board with neither. If the Pats take a tight end, either Clark Harris or Joe Newton would make more sense, and they'd be there on second day. The Shockey/Heap types aren't going to fill the hole left by Graham, and they don't offer the versatility of Watson.

I'm confident there won't be a first round TE taken in round one, even if Graham leaves.

I didn't watch Miami much but did you see Olsen at that Skills competition that Chad Jackson did so well at last year ? Olsen looked equally sick, he didn't have a drop or anything close. I don't know a lot else about him but in a non game situation he had very natural hands.

I saw it and IMO Olsen was one of the best athletes out there. His performance was unbelievable.

Fir me it doesnt come down to who is the better blocker. If we lose Graham, I think we already have his hole filled. I love Olsen with the #28 pick and here is why. There is little doubt that he is the WR/TE hybrid. He is very similar to Watson, but has better hands. Watson is a pretty good blocker. Thomas is a good blocker, and Mills is talented. 3 TE's Watson, Olsen, & Thomas with Mills at fullback/halfback is a good situation. We could lessen Watson as the featured receiver and let him grow as a balanced TE like Graham while utilizing his receiving skills. Olsen could then fill a role as a receiver.

Anyway you slice it, I think we are fine on blocking without Graham (He will be missed). I am not a big fan of our TE blocking scheme. It became very predictable this year. I would love to see it mixed into a zone blocking scheme with more se of the FB (Mills/Evans).

Put me on board with neither. If the Pats take a tight end, either Clark Harris or Joe Newton would make more sense, and they'd be there on second day. The Shockey/Heap types aren't going to fill the hole left by Graham, and they don't offer the versatility of Watson.

I'm confident there won't be a first round TE taken in round one, even if Graham leaves.
Hear hear! ..

If Graham walks, why not a veteran replacement? We have two young te's in Watson and D.Thomas. A guy like Kyle Brady would work for me. Veteran te's are usually better blockers than rooks and that is what we would need as a replacement for Graham. Don't need to draft and develop someone. We need someone to step in and replace D.Graham.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News