PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Greetings From San Diego!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughs of a Pats reign??
Let me help you to understand: REIGN: the time during which one reigns.

Now, did you just wake up and miss the decade so far?? In case you missed it let me remind you of our three Superbowl wins so far this decade. Now let's take a quick peek at your team - hmmm - not very much success at all since your last very impressive 49-26 trouncing you took during your one and only Superbowl appearance.

San Diego may be sunny and OB is very cool, but your football team is truly pathetic - all time.

Never say "all time" as in "forever" because both great success and pathetic failure is a matter of changing times or do you not remember your first AFL Championship Game or your first NFL Superbowl appearance?

But the timely point is that you do not reign now and that any lingering thoughts of your recent but nonetheless past reign will suddenly dry up for a long time in San Diego if you are fortunate enough to unfortunately make it to San Diego this time.

And when it does, I do not want to hear any excuse from you and likewise if it does not, you will not hear any excuse from me at any time.

Last edited:
Never say "all time" as in "forever" because both great success and pathetic failure is a matter of changing times or do you not remember your first AFL Championship Game or your first NFL Superbowl appearance?

But the timely point is that you do not reign now and that any lingering thoughts of your recent but nonetheless past reign will suddenly dry up for a long time in San Diego if you are fortunate enough to unfortunately make it to San Diego this time.

And when it does, I do not want to hear any excuse from you and likewise if it does not, you will not hear any excuse from me at any time.

Martyball + Rookie QB against a Bill Belichick/Brady led team is not a recipe for success for the Chargers.

I would savor and relish a meeting with the Bolts in this playoff tournament. You guys have posted a most impressive season. Truly excellent. You deserve sincere congratulations. Well done, Chargers.

As they say in New England: it ain't over 'til it's over (thanks, Yogi).

So, first things first: we entertain the Jets on Sunday. Should be a good game. Please tune in!!

Last edited:
I would savor and relish a meeting with the Bolts in this playoff tournament. You guys have posted a most impressive season. Truly excellent. You deserve sincere congratulations. Playing you in the tournament would be a great honor.

However, as they say in New England: it ain't over 'til it's over (thanks, Yogi).

So, first things first: we entertain the Jets on Sunday. Should be a good game. Please tune in!!

As someone once said: news of our demise is greatly exaggerated!

Last edited:
Nobody even talking about Baltimore?

"The two best teams in the AFC, NE and SD".... lol

Didn't Baltimore defeat the Chargers? I think you guys should worry about them a tad bit more.

And FWIW, KC has almost no chance at winning @ Indy this Saturday. So don't worry. If NE can beat Mangini, SD will get their wish.

I would savor and relish a meeting with the Bolts in this playoff tournament. You guys have posted a most impressive season. Truly excellent. You deserve sincere congratulations. Playing you in the tournament would be a great honor.

However, as they say in New England: it ain't over 'til it's over (thanks, Yogi).

As someone once said: news of our demise is greatly exaggerated!

Well said. Despite SD's stellar regular season record,I'm more concerned with the Ravens than I am with SD,assuming of course we win on Sunday. I haven't seen much of the Ravens,maybe that's why,but their Defense is something to be reckoned with. One game at a time so I'm all about the Jets right now,but between SD and the Ravens,the Ravens give me more pause.

Nobody even talking about Baltimore?

"The two best teams in the AFC, NE and SD".... lol

Didn't Baltimore defeat the Chargers? I think you guys should worry about them a tad bit more.

And FWIW, KC has almost no chance at winning @ Indy this Saturday. So don't worry. If NE can beat Mangini, SD will get their wish.

Ryan - I think the only team given less chance than NE is your Colts. Last time I checked, Peyton was still leading the most powerful offense in football. With Sanders back, you're a different team - NE saw that first hand.

ALL teams in playoffs are talented and dangerous - each and every division winner at the very least can go all the way and one of them actually will!!

Good luck dude.

Martyball + Rookie QB against a Bill Belichick/Brady led team is not a recipe for success for the Chargers.

That of course is yet to be determined one way or the other but please note that Marty is something like 7-2 against Bill B. and that Rivers, who is not a rookie, has posted better numbers in the regular season than Brady did as a first year starter.

At any rate, the recipe for success in this game will likely come down to the ability of each team's other key players ability on offense, defense, and special teams to make big plays rather than on the QB or coach of either team.

And because I believe we have more playmakers across the board than the Pats, I like our chances.

I would savor and relish a meeting with the Bolts in this playoff tournament. You guys have posted a most impressive season. Truly excellent. You deserve sincere congratulations. Well done, Chargers.

As they say in New England: it ain't over 'til it's over (thanks, Yogi).

Not only will I be tuning in, I will be rooting hard for you guys to win as I will for Indy to win.:)

Well Well Well who would have thunk it!......

Colts Ride Defense to Play-off Victory!

And with the Colts great victory today, the stage is now set for you guys to shoot down the Jets tomorrow in route to your final destination in San Diego.:)

Bolts Fans Wish the Patriots Great Luck This Sunday!

Caryl

Dear Pats Fans,

Congratulations on beating the Jets yesterday as expected. :)

Sometimes things do go according to plan. As noted from the beginning of this thread, since mid-November I have wanted nothing less than for our Bolts to face your team in the Divisional round of the play-offs. And now the stage is set.

For the record, let there be no doubt that this want does not reflect any disrespect for your team. Rather it reflects great respect (and part envy) for the past tremendous accomplishments of your team and the fact that as our Bolts seek to take the same road to historical greatness your team has traveled this decade, that journey starts with competing and winning against this decade's best NFL team....The New England Patriots.

Of course, this week will be an agonizing slow week for both Bolts Fans and Pats Fans as we await in eager anticipation for our Sunday showdown. And so there is no better way to pass it than by talking a little smack......;)

Welcome to San Diego Pats Fans......Your Final Destination!

Caryl

Dangerous time of year to face Patriots

Jim Trotter
San Diego Union Tribune
January 8, 2007

FOXBORO, Mass. – The New England Patriots were favored in their playoff game against the New York Jets, yet the distinction came coated with a layer of vulnerability.

The Pats still had Bill Belichick on the sideline, Tom Brady behind center and Richard Seymour on the defensive line, but they were without kicker Adam Vinatieri, linebacker Willie McGinest and wide receivers Deion Branch and David Givens, regulars who were allowed to leave via free agency or trades before the season.

And now the Jets were coming to town after beating the Patriots 17-14 in New England in the teams' most recent meeting, in November. The talk was that maybe Eric Mangini, New York's head coach and a former Patriots assistant, had the goods on Belichick, who for much of the season refused to identify Mangini by name.
How foolish.

On a clear, crisp January afternoon, the Patriots reminded us why they're the most dangerous team in the postseason. Not why they're the best team. Just the most dangerous.

Their 37-16 thumping of the Jets – which advanced them into a second-round matchup against the top-seeded Chargers – was confirmation that, as long as they have the aforementioned Big Three, they will be the club that opponents least want to face in the playoffs. Jets wideout Laveranues Coles said exactly that during the week, pointing out that it had nothing to do with fear and everything to do with respect. When a team wins three Super Bowls in five seasons, a certain nobility is associated with it.

Yesterday, Brady took the field with a group of receivers that is mostly anonymous to anyone outside the Patriots locker room or the players' families. Most of them, such as Chargers castoff Reche Caldwell, would be No. 2s or 3s on other teams.

But the Patriots have a way of taking other teams' unwanteds and turning them into productive performers. Raise your hand if you ever thought Caldwell would lead any team in receptions – and I'm not talking about a Madden game.

Regardless of where a player has been, he knows where he is expected to go once he signs with the Patriots. And that's deep in the playoffs.

“We have a bunch of players who have come up over the years and trained to prepare for moments like this,” Brady said. “It is about being focused, about working hard to prepare and not being overwhelmed by the situation. There is something in you that you just figure you can handle it.

“I am glad that we have the Tedy Bruschis and the Mike Vrabels and the Rosevelt Colvins and Richard Seymours, and you incorporate new guys into the mix like Jabar (Gaffney) and Reche that have been so excited to get to this moment. It is very rewarding when it pays off. It is very rewarding when you lose to a team at home, really get outplayed, and then you come back and beat them by 21 points.”

For the Patriots, the regular season is a means to an end. They use it as a chess board, thinking two moves ahead, using September and October to position themselves for checkmates in January and February.

Under Belichick, the Patriots are 11-1 in the postseason, the loss a year ago at Denver in the divisional round. They were underdogs in that game, just as they are (5½ points) for their game Sunday at San Diego, which has won two in a row against them, including a 41-17 whipping last season.

There are proud players on the Patriots defense who have not forgotten that game. You could tell yesterday, not by what they said, but by the look in their eyes when reminded that Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson has averaged 5.6 yards a carry and run for 425 yards and five scores in three career meetings.

From Bruschi to Seymour to Vince Wilfork, there was a gleam in their eyes. The questions seemed to make them feel as if they were being doubted. It is a perception they relish – and one for which they threw verbal logs on the fire.

“They beat us up and down the field,” cornerback Asante Samuel said of last season's loss to the Chargers. “It was kind of like an NFL team vs. a college team.”

Samuel's words were coated not only with sincerity, but anticipation. This is the time of year for which the Patriots play. What happened last season, let alone last week, doesn't matter. These are the playoffs, and there is no team more dangerous. Better? Perhaps. But not as dangerous.

Last edited:
Dear Caryl

I for one am most happy to be facing the Bolts next. It would be a tainted season if we were to win it all but have somebody else knock out the Bolts.

The Pats have been here before. Starting in 2001, when we "didn't have a prayer" against the mighty big, bad Stillers.

I do not discount the Chargers; they are an outstanding team of many talents. LT is great. (So was Marshall Faulk in 2001, though, maybe *better* than LT.) Merriman is a force on D, great pass-rusher. Light has to have the game of his career. Ditto the rest of the O-line.

Our D is going to have its hands full, for sure. Maybe BB can once more come up with something that will work, now that it's the real "crunch time".

And on and on....

As they say, that's why we play the games!! Yup, it's going to be a good 'un. Can't wait!!

Fogbuster

//

Dear Pats Fans,

Sometimes things do go according to plan. As noted from the beginning of this thread, since mid-November I have wanted nothing less than for our Bolts to face your team in the Divisional round of the play-offs. And now the stage is set.

For the record, let there be no doubt that this want does not reflect any disrespect for your team. Rather it reflects great respect (and part envy) for the past tremendous accomplishments of your team and the fact that as our Bolts seek to take the same road to historical greatness your team has traveled this decade, that journey starts with competing and winning against this decade's best NFL team....The New England Patriots.

Of course, this week will be an agonizing slow week for both Bolts Fans and Pats Fans as we await in eager anticipation for our Sunday showdown. And so there is no better way to pass it than by talking a little smack......;)

Caryl

Dangerous time of year to face Patriots

Jim Trotter
San Diego Union Tribune
January 8, 2007

FOXBORO, Mass. – The New England Patriots were favored in their playoff game against the New York Jets, yet the distinction came coated with a layer of vulnerability.

The Pats still had Bill Belichick on the sideline, Tom Brady behind center and Richard Seymour on the defensive line, but they were without kicker Adam Vinatieri, linebacker Willie McGinest and wide receivers Deion Branch and David Givens, regulars who were allowed to leave via free agency or trades before the season.

And now the Jets were coming to town after beating the Patriots 17-14 in New England in the teams' most recent meeting, in November. The talk was that maybe Eric Mangini, New York's head coach and a former Patriots assistant, had the goods on Belichick, who for much of the season refused to identify Mangini by name.
How foolish.

On a clear, crisp January afternoon, the Patriots reminded us why they're the most dangerous team in the postseason. Not why they're the best team. Just the most dangerous.

Their 37-16 thumping of the Jets – which advanced them into a second-round matchup against the top-seeded Chargers – was confirmation that, as long as they have the aforementioned Big Three, they will be the club that opponents least want to face in the playoffs. Jets wideout Laveranues Coles said exactly that during the week, pointing out that it had nothing to do with fear and everything to do with respect. When a team wins three Super Bowls in five seasons, a certain nobility is associated with it.

Yesterday, Brady took the field with a group of receivers that is mostly anonymous to anyone outside the Patriots locker room or the players' families. Most of them, such as Chargers castoff Reche Caldwell, would be No. 2s or 3s on other teams.

But the Patriots have a way of taking other teams' unwanteds and turning them into productive performers. Raise your hand if you ever thought Caldwell would lead any team in receptions – and I'm not talking about a Madden game.

Regardless of where a player has been, he knows where he is expected to go once he signs with the Patriots. And that's deep in the playoffs.

“We have a bunch of players who have come up over the years and trained to prepare for moments like this,” Brady said. “It is about being focused, about working hard to prepare and not being overwhelmed by the situation. There is something in you that you just figure you can handle it.

“I am glad that we have the Tedy Bruschis and the Mike Vrabels and the Rosevelt Colvins and Richard Seymours, and you incorporate new guys into the mix like Jabar (Gaffney) and Reche that have been so excited to get to this moment. It is very rewarding when it pays off. It is very rewarding when you lose to a team at home, really get outplayed, and then you come back and beat them by 21 points.”

For the Patriots, the regular season is a means to an end. They use it as a chess board, thinking two moves ahead, using September and October to position themselves for checkmates in January and February.

Under Belichick, the Patriots are 11-1 in the postseason, the loss a year ago at Denver in the divisional round. They were underdogs in that game, just as they are (5½ points) for their game Sunday at San Diego, which has won two in a row against them, including a 41-17 whipping last season.

There are proud players on the Patriots defense who have not forgotten that game. You could tell yesterday, not by what they said, but by the look in their eyes when reminded that Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson has averaged 5.6 yards a carry and run for 425 yards and five scores in three career meetings.

From Bruschi to Seymour to Vince Wilfork, there was a gleam in their eyes. The questions seemed to make them feel as if they were being doubted. It is a perception they relish – and one for which they threw verbal logs on the fire.

“They beat us up and down the field,” cornerback Asante Samuel said of last season's loss to the Chargers. “It was kind of like an NFL team vs. a college team.”

Samuel's words were coated not only with sincerity, but anticipation. This is the time of year for which the Patriots play. What happened last season, let alone last week, doesn't matter. These are the playoffs, and there is no team more dangerous. Better? Perhaps. But not as dangerous.

Dear Pats Fans,

Caryl

Caryl...is that a mans or ladies name??

To the beat be the best you must beat the best......you won't be able to do it in the playoffs.

Your boy Merriweather already started it off with his maesure of disrespect and the ball has now started rolling.

Hell....you cannot even get San Diego weather from the looks of things....

Sunday (24 hours): Abundant sunshine. Highs in the upper 50s and lows in the low 40s.

Patriots are playing their very best ball and you guys haven't played a meaningful game in over a month. Do you really think you are that good so as to be able to just turn it right on next week?? Patriots have played some very physical ball and are battle tested and ready to rumble - we will clean your clocks, easily. We are healthier than we have been all season.....who knows, maybe even Rodney shows up!

Patriots by 17...in a game nowhere near as close as people may think.

You have a great running back and a great tight end......you have nothing else of concern on an offense featuring a QB with ZERO playoff experience.

Enjoy your #1 seed as it is the only #1 you will see this year.

Patriots are playing their very best ball and you guys haven't played a meaningful game in over a month. Do you really think you are that good so as to be able to just turn it right on next week?? Patriots have played some very physical ball and are battle tested and ready to rumble - we will clean your clocks, easily. We are healthier than we have been all season.....who knows, maybe even Rodney shows up!

You have a great running back and a great tight end......you have nothing else of concern on an offense featuring a QB with ZERO playoff experience.

Hey, fgssand, the last Charger poster was fairly polite and respectful. I think you are a little over the top.

Regardless if the guy is a roid-head or what he got a 17 sack season. That is L.T.esque. Pats have always had trouble with speed rushers. That could cause us problems. And then if we can't put points up; they may not need much on offense.

Regardless of the rookie QB and marty-ball issues; those 2 (RB and TE) may be enough to do us in. Especially on their home turf.

I don't think most anyone believes this one is a blow-out in either direction. If Pats win; it will likely be tight.

It is going to be interesting to see the #2 defense in points going up against the #1 RB in the league.

I agree with fogbuster's comments about if Pats are going to earn the SB then we should have to go THROUGH SD. So I am looking forward to this.

Dear Pats Fans,

Caryl

Caryl...is that a mans or ladies name??

To the beat be the best you must beat the best......you won't be able to do it in the playoffs.

Your boy Merriweather already started it off with his maesure of disrespect and the ball has now started rolling.

Hell....you cannot even get San Diego weather from the looks of things....

Sunday (24 hours): Abundant sunshine. Highs in the upper 50s and lows in the low 40s.

No doubt as a great fan of the recent history of your team, you will recall that you had a first year starter with ZERO play-off experience and things turned out rather nicely for you guys.

If there is one thing that history does it is that history repeats itself.:)

And contrary to your belief, every game the Bolts have played during the last month was meaningful and hence the Pats are coming to San Diego and not vice versa.:D

No doubt as a great fan of the recent history of your team, you will recall that you had a first year starter with ZERO play-off experience and things turned out rather nicely for you guys.

If there is one thing that history does it is that history repeats itself.:)

And contrary to your belief, every game the Bolts have played during the last month was meaningful and hence the Pats are coming to San Diego and not vice versa.:D

Your right...first there was Joe Montana then came Tom Brady.......also, we play better on the road this year.....

Dear Caryl

I for one am most happy to be facing the Bolts next. It would be a tainted season if we were to win it all but have somebody else knock out the Bolts.

The Pats have been here before. Starting in 2001, when we "didn't have a prayer" against the mighty big, bad Stillers.

I do not discount the Chargers; they are an outstanding team of many talents. LT is great. (So was Marshall Faulk in 2001, though, maybe *better* than LT.) Merriman is a force on D, great pass-rusher. Light has to have the game of his career. Ditto the rest of the O-line.

Our D is going to have its hands full, for sure. Maybe BB can once more come up with something that will work, now that it's the real "crunch time".

And on and on....

As they say, that's why we play the games!! Yup, it's going to be a good 'un. Can't wait!!

Fogbuster

//

Fogbuster,

I concur and I am expecting a great game wherein every single play is critical and where each team gets knock-down several times only to get back up.

I believe this contest will start and finish with both teams focused on getting to the opposing team's QB as in frequently and thus which team does so best is likely to win in the end.

Belichick dissecting loss streak to Chargers

By Jim Trotter
UNION TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
January 9, 2007

FOXBORO, Mass. – Contrary to his public assertion, Patriots coach Bill Belichick didn't sound as if he were behind in his preparations for Sunday's AFC divisional playoff game against the Chargers in Qualcomm Stadium.

“They're a great football team,” he said yesterday, one day after the Patriots defeated the New York Jets 37-16. “Ten (wins) in a row. Undefeated at home. They've outscored opponents by 200 points. You can go right down the line – 60-something sacks, whatever it is.

“It looks like they can do it all. They can score a lot of points, run the ball, stop the run, rush the passer, return kickoffs. They don't look like they have a lot of weaknesses in their game, which you wouldn't expect them to have. They're 14-2, the top seed in the AFC.”

Belichick sounded so familiar with the Chargers that you half-wondered if he was going to recite the “Super Charger” song. Suffice to say, no one would have blinked if he had belted out a chorus or two, because the Patriots are known for their attention to detail. It's one reason they've won three of the past five Super Bowls.

With his players off yesterday and today, Belichick said he planned to peel back the skin on the Chargers season to find what has made them go. His Patriots have lost two in a row to San Diego – 21-14 in 2002 on the road, and 41-17 last season at home – and in each quarterback Tom Brady appeared mortal, with his passer rating falling from 93.4 in a 2001 victory to 83.3, then 78.1 in the losses.

A bigger concern for Belichick is Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson, who is averaging 5.6 yards a carry and 142 yards a game in three career meetings with the Patriots, with 10 rushes of 10 yards or more.

“We're usually looking at the back of his jersey,” said Belichick. “We haven't done very well against him. (But) he's killed a lot of people besides us.”

Tomlinson was so dominant this season that he was voted the league's MVP after rushing for 1,815 yards and scoring 31 touchdowns, including 28 on the ground. Interestingly, the Patriots beat the current-year MVP during their last three Super Bowl runs. It was Kurt Warner during the 2001 season; Peyton Manning and Steve McNair in 2003, and Manning again in 2004.

Belichick said the Patriots devoted all their attention to the Jets last week, but soon after the game was over someone placed a DVD breakdown of the Chargers on Brady's locker-room chair.

Belichick said yesterday and today are critical planning days, because there must be a clear and concise message on what specifically it will take to beat the Chargers, and how that goal can be accomplished. In the past, players have applauded the coaching staff for putting them in position to make plays. There is an unwavering confidence that if they do as instructed, the outcome will be favorable, as Belichick's 11-1 postseason record in New England will attest.

“Based on the body of work, over a 16-game regular-season schedule, they're the best team in the AFC,” Belichick said. “We're going to have to play our best game of the year against them. It doesn't make any difference what happened last week or last month. The only thing that matters is what happens on Sunday. So, that's where we have to focus all of our energy and preparation and try to put our best game out there on Sunday. That's what it's going to take and that's what we need to do.”

Meantime, Belichick said he was uncertain if safety Rodney Harrison will play this week. Harrison missed Sunday's game with a knee injury, and Belichick said the former Charger will be listed as day to day.

Dear Pats Fans,

At long last our long wait is over. After building toward this point for the last six weeks our teams will finally meet. This past week has been exceptionally long for all of us but it helped to pass it having great fun rationally discoursing on the relative merits and demerits of our respective teams. :)

With that said, the ultimate winner of our playful great debate will be decided on the field of play for tomorrow is the Day of Reckoning!

Come win or lose, I will talk to you guys following the game.

May the best team win and no injuries occur.

Sincerely and All in Serious Fun!

Caryl

Last edited:
Dear Pats Fans,

At long last our long wait is over. After building toward this point for the last six weeks our teams will finally meet. This past week has been exceptionally long for all of us but it helped to pass it having great fun rationally discoursing on the relative merits and demerits of our respective teams. :)

With that said, the ultimate winner of our playful great debate will be decided on the field of play for tomorrow is the Day of Reckoning!

Come win or lose, I will talk to you guys following the game.

May the best team win and no injuries occur.

Sincerely and All in Serious Fun!

Caryl

Good luck Caryl - been fun having you around here these past 6 weeks. You kept it clean and respectful. Back atcha dude...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST