PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great article on Darryl "Swagg" Roberts

Status
Not open for further replies.

FourierSeries

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
The recent seventh-round draft pick looked like anything but a late-round selection during the Patriots organized team activities and minicamp. Roberts not only earned reps with the starters, but when he was going up against Tom Brady, he made several plays that flashed back to his college career.

Mention Roberts to Marshall defensive coordinator Chuck Heater and he’ll instantly tell you about the unwavering confidence.

He had a swag about him and was always confident,” Heater said. “A cool customer, so to speak. And you would like to have that personality in your corner because you’re going to make some plays but won’t make every one of them. You’ve got to be able to get back to the next play, and he had a real ability to forget about the play before and get right back to the next play. He made a lot of football plays for us. That was a great quality, the confidence that he played with.”

When you’re playing on an island, you need to be confident. Last season, Heater moved the Marshall secondary away from Roberts. Typically, he’d be by himself with the safeties on the other side of the field. With his elite athleticism, it worked.

He finished the season with just one interception, but his 17 pass breakups were tied for the second-most in Division I football. Roberts led the Thundering Herd's secondary, which was aptly nicknamed the "No-Fly Zone." Marshall let up an average of only 196.9 passing yards a game, the 23rd-best mark in Division I. Only eight Division I defenses gave up fewer yards per pass attempt.

For us, in games, there were times when we tilted the coverage completely away from him and he was just one-on-one. He just had to make a play,” Heater said. “There were numerous times this season where it was just him and that guy. You either make the play or don’t make the play and he would make the play just about every time. We were able to load our coverage one direction because of his ability to cover one-on-one. That was about every game.”

During OTAs and minicamp, that was seen in spurts as Roberts deflected multiple passes from Brady and Jimmy Garoppolo. Take a look at his pro day numbers and you get a glimpse at what kind of athlete this cornerback really is.

Roberts didn’t get invited to the NFL Combine, but at the Marshall pro day he shined. He finished with a 4.38 40-yard dash, a 6.66 3-cone drill and an 11-foot 1-inch broad jump, and put up 23 reps of a 225-pound bench press. Had he put up those numbers at the Combine, he would have been second among all corerbacks in the 40, 3-cone drill, broad jump and bench press. His 39-inch vertical leap would have been him sixth-best.

Heater saw NFL scouts come to Marshall almost every day, and he still doesn’t understand how Roberts fell all the way to the seventh round of the draft.

http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20150717/SPORTS/150719320/13988?Start=2

Roberts is going to a top 5 CB in the NFL within 3 years. His talent, combined with his mindset, and the coaching of Belichick and his staff is going to make him great.

I have not been this high on a Patriots rookie since Jones and Hightower in 2012.

Roberts is going to a top 5 CB in the NFL within 3 years. His talent, combined with his mindset, and the coaching of Belichick and his staff is going to make him great.

I have not been this high on a Patriots rookie since Jones and Hightower in 2012.

I hope so. If he and Butler can be a good duo then that would be great.

Imagine having an elite pair of CBs where one was a 7th round pick and the other was totally undrafted and only had one team call him at all. Talk about outsmarting the competition on that one.

For all the misses at CB in the 2nd and 3rd rounds over the years, Belichick has done pretty well at the position in the later rounds and with UDFA's of recent. Butler and Dennard come to mind. I'm hoping Roberts continues that trend. If he gets the technique down, he'll be starter quality. The size and athleticism is certainly there.

From your keyboard to the football God's ears.

Imagine having an elite pair of CBs

Oddly enough I can imagine having an elite pair...;)

Since becoming a family man I gave up watching football on Saturdays. Why did he fall to the 7th round, besides playing at Marshall?

Since becoming a family man I gave up watching football on Saturdays. Why did he fall to the 7th round, besides playing at Marshall?
He was a snub from the combine.

The key is convincing the family to watch college football. I'll have no such problem living in the south. College football is a religion down here. Unfortunately, my girlfriend graduated from FSU.

"Heater saw NFL scouts come to Marshall almost every day, and he still doesn’t understand how Roberts fell all the way to the seventh round of the draft."

Exactly. The story leaves me thinking there was something on him not publicized before the draft. Why would the other 31 teams pass? It's not like the pro pay numbers were a secret and no one saw him play at Marshall.

The key is convincing the family to watch college football. I'll have no such problem living in the south. College football is a religion down here. Unfortunately, my girlfriend graduated from FSU.

Well, she can't be percect, now can she... ;)

For all the misses at CB in the 2nd and 3rd rounds over the years, Belichick has done pretty well at the position in the later rounds and with UDFA's of recent. Butler and Dennard come to mind. I'm hoping Roberts continues that trend. If he gets the technique down, he'll be starter quality. The size and athleticism is certainly there.

Dennard? Only played occasionally, between jail stays, then cut?

Let's hope Roberts doesn't continue that trend!

have you seen him on the field in mini camp? I'd like to think this is real.

have you seen him on the field in mini camp? I'd like to think this is real.
I have not but I watched a lot of his tape prior to the draft. He was a better prospect than Byron Jones in my opinion.

“For us, in games, there were times when we tilted the coverage completely away from him and he was just one-on-one. He just had to make a play,” Heater said. “There were numerous times this season where it was just him and that guy. You either make the play or don’t make the play and he would make the play just about every time. We were able to load our coverage one direction because of his ability to cover one-on-one. That was about every game.”

That quote from his college coach makes you question the whole draft process. I guess ... Because of his not so fancy int numbers he didn't get invited to the combine, because he wasn't at combine most nfl teams didn't evaluate him, because they didn't evaluate nobody bothered to look at his film.

All the better for the patriots:rolleyes:

I have not but I watched a lot of his tape prior to the draft. He was a better prospect than Byron Jones in my opinion.
Jones impressed with off the charts athleticism at the combine.
Roberts wasn't invited to the combine, so how does his athleticism stack up? From NESN: "He ran a 4.38-second 40-yard dash at his Marshall pro day with a 6.66-second 3-cone drill, 4.06 second short shuttle, 39-inch vertical leap, 11-foot, 1-inch broad jump and 23 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press.
Had Roberts been invited to the combine and put up the same numbers, he would have ranked second among cornerbacks in the 40-yard dash, second in 3-cone, seventh in short shuttle, sixth in vertical leap, second in broad jump and second in bench press."

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2015/05/patriots-cornerback-roster-reset-darryl-roberts-adds-elite-athleticism/

For comparison, Jones was a tad slower on the three-cone, a bit faster on the short shuttle, five inches higher on the vert leap, and 1'2" longer on the broad jump (and 8" over the previous broad jump record, half of which was held by Jamie Collins).

Looks to me like Roberts is almost as athletic, but not quite. He's also two inches shorter, 5'11" vs. 6'1" for Jones. That's raw talent, real question is what does he do with what he's got? We will see, soon enough.

Last edited:
Just for comparison, thought I'd dig up some other CB workout numbers.
Here is Malcolm Butler's Pro Day workout at Alabama. Note that his 4.6 time in the forty pretty much destroyed interest in him.
Height:5096
Weight:187
40 Yrd Dash:4.62
20 Yrd Dash:2.75
10 Yrd Dash:1.62
225 Lb. Bench Reps:13
Vertical Jump:33 1/2
Broad Jump:09'10"
20 Yrd Shuttle:4.27
3-Cone Drill:7.20

Here is Roberts, in the same format for convenience:
Height:5110
Weight:187
40 Yrd Dash:4.38
20 Yrd Dash:2.50
10 Yrd Dash:1.48
225 Lb. Bench Reps:23
Vertical Jump:39
Broad Jump:11'01"
20 Yrd Shuttle:4.06
3-Cone Drill:6.66

And one more interesting benchmark. Very interesting to compare Roberts' workout numbers to Darrell Revis:
Combine Invite:Yes, Chose not to workout
Height:5114
Weight:204
40 Yrd Dash:4.38
20 Yrd Dash:2.49
10 Yrd Dash:1.46
225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump:
Broad Jump:10'5"
20 Yrd Shuttle:4.08
3-Cone Drill:6.56

For jollies, added Byron Jones for comparison:
Combine Invite:Yes
Height:6005
Weight:199
40 Yrd Dash: 4.43 (Pro Day)
20 Yrd Dash: 2.52 (Pro Day)
10 Yrd Dash: 1.50 (Pro Day)
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 18 (Pro Day)
Vertical Jump:44 1/2
Broad Jump:12'03"
20 Yrd Shuttle:3.94
3-Cone Drill:6.78
No 40s/Bench at Combine (Shoulder), numbers shown are from Pro Day

Last edited:
If for some reason he pans out, Goodell will start taking 5-7th round picks instead of firsts. Also, disallow the Pats from signing UDFAs that played any kind of organized team football.

Stats are nice, but difficult to quantify football ability and intelligence...

Stay tuned, could prove interesting..

Here's one thought, because this site had his 40 off by 0.2 seconds...and coupled with playing in a smaller conference.
http://www.chatsports.com/cleveland-browns/a/2015-NFL-draft-rankings-Cornerbacks-2-11008757

It listed his time as 4.57 while everyone else has him at 4.38-4.49
=================

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/darryl-roberts?id=2553353

“He could use more time in the weight room, but has the overall size and speed to project as an eventual starting cornerback if his game develops and he takes coaching over the next couple of seasons.”

Dude, he had 23 reps, what more do you want??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News