PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Grade the pre-season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't remember a preseason I've loathed more than this one. It went on forever and we got a couple people hurt. There was little in it that seemed encouraging or enjoyable; nowhere near the anticipation I felt last year. My lingering impressions: concern about the offensive line, waiting (and waiting) for Chad Jackson to emerge, concern about the lack of fire, concern about backup quarterback ... The only encouragement I felt was via the young linebackers and LaMont Jordan. I'm just hoping there's carryover from last season. There damn well better be after this sorry excuse for a preseason. I'm just glad it's over.

Last edited:
Well I think that it is awfully hard to GRADE anything that we have seen so far this preseason.....because it is hard to figure out what the #$!@$ BB was doing these past few weeks.......was he telling his guys to loaf it out there....or loading vanilla offensive and defensive schemes??? Is Brady really 100% and BB doesn't want to jeapordize him getting hurt in preseason......or is something else going on? For ME....this has been a VERY painful and frustrating preseason because I don't know what is REAL....and what is just Belichick.....being belichick......and just a facade here......

Now....IF.....what we have seen from this OL and this defense is the REAL DEAL.....I would rate this preseason an F...and be very worried..However,....If BB is just doing his usual....magic tricks...and gamesmanship.....then this would rate an A+...........If BB could somehow orchestrate this team to play THIS POORLY....and this sloppy....on purpose......He truly is a genius......thx

PS...I think it would be advisable for ALL Pats fans to be able to get secret decoder rings and BB would be able to send out messages to all of us saying "Hey guys....we are going to come out half ***ed and play very weak coverages against our preseason opponents.....so don't bother even watching as I don't want you to get discouraged or frustrated....we will go full strength on week 1 of regular season.....thanks for all you do......BB" Then we would know what the f##k was going on....and not be so despondent.......This preseason has been painful....as they look like the 1-15 doofins from last season.......

Last edited:
Grading preseason......

can we grade recess next?

If the point of preseason is to win meaningless games, then sure, it gets an F. If the point is to prepare the team for the regular season, shouldn't we wait until they play a few games?

Well I think that it is awfully hard to GRADE anything that we have seen so far this preseason.....because it is hard to figure out what the #$!@$ BB was doing these past few weeks.......was he telling his guys to loaf it out there....or loading vanilla offensive and defensive schemes??? Is Brady really 100% and BB doesn't want to jeapordize him getting hurt in preseason......or is something else going on? For ME....this has been a VERY painful and frustrating preseason because I don't know what is REAL....and what is just Belichick.....being belichick......and just a facade here......

Now....IF.....what we have seen from this OL and this defense is the REAL DEAL.....I would rate this preseason an F...and be very worried..However,....If BB is just doing his usual....magic tricks...and gamesmanship.....then this would rate an A+...........If BB could somehow orchestrate this team to play THIS POORLY....and this sloppy....on purpose......He truly is a genius......thx

Are you seriously going to think that Belichick orchestrated a poor preseason? You think he had the team lose on purpose to make everyone think we lost a step?

Are you the guy who recently discovered Bigfoot?

I can't remember a preseason I've loathed more than this one. It went on forever and we got a couple people hurt. There was little in it that seemed encouraging or enjoyable; nowhere near the anticipation I felt last year. My lingering impressions: concern about the offensive line, waiting (and waiting) for Chad Jackson to emerge, concern about the lack of fire, concern about backup quarterback ... The only encouragement I felt was via the young linebackers and LaMont Jordan. I'm just hoping there's carryover from last season. There damn well better be after this sorry excuse for a preseason. I'm just glad it's over.

Amen.

The draft looks like a good one.

Lets get our "team" on the field and kick some *****.

Are you seriously going to think that Belichick orchestrated a poor preseason? You think he had the team lose on purpose to make everyone think we lost a step?

Are you the guy that has to be a sarcastic jerk about everyone's responses in every thread? Let him have his opinion... last time I checked no one was constantly complaining about yours.

PS...I think it would be advisable for ALL Pats fans to be able to get secret decoder rings and BB would be able to send out messages to all of us saying "Hey guys....we are going to come out half ***ed and play very weak coverages against our preseason opponents.....so don't bother even watching as I don't want you to get discouraged or frustrated....we will go full strength on week 1 of regular season.....thanks for all you do......BB" Then we would know what the f##k was going on....and not be so despondent.......This preseason has been painful....as they look like the 1-15 doofins from last season.......

No doubt about it.

Patriot fans are just like the Boston press. We have no idea what we are watching. This pi$$e$ me off from time to time.

Dude if this is sarcasm....good for you....If not, how long have you been a fan? How many times has BB had players ride the IR....when they really weren't all that banged up? How many weeks during a year has BB put Brady on the weekly injury report as "probable"......How many years has he shown very little in his "hand of cards" during preseason? Maybe almost every one? It is just that this year.....he has either overdone it....or we are shaky at many positions......For we fans, the preseasons have been painful....because we don't know WHAT Belichick is actually doing....and what to make of what we are actually seeing....again.....hope you are simply being sarcastic......thx

Instead of grading the pre-season, I'd prefer to ask the important questions that needed to be asked going into training camp. Some examples:

Is WR4 (Jackson) going to 'get it' (vital in case of long term injury to WR1-3)?

A.) While starting off slowly, he seemed to gain more comfort as time went on and looked better and better against the scrubs. Questions still remain as to how he'll look against starting caliber players.

If Neal can't go (he can't, PUP), does the team have a RG to fill the void?

A.) Hell, I still don't know. Nothing I've seen has really impressed to date, and this is probably my biggest concern as the season begins.

Are Brady, Moss, Welker and Light going to be healthy come game 1?

A.) It looks like at least 3 of the 4 will be, and there's no reason to doubt Welker until we hear otherwise.

Will Mayo be a plus as a starter from week one?

A.) It looks to me like he'll be a typical rookie, with good plays and bad. On the plus side, it sure looks like there'll be a lot of good plays in the future.

Should Seau be back with the team?

A.) I'd say absolutely, but BB may have seen things in practice I haven't seen in games from the backup ILBs.

That's how I've looked at the pre-season. Scores and the performances of known quantities meant nothing to me.

Preseason...

1. I would definitely grade THIS 2008 crop of rookies much higher than the poor draft class of 2007 (ignoring next 400 posts parroting that it takes 3 yrs to judge a draft)

2. I would rate the 2007 class of FAs as FAR superior in pre-season to this year's crop of duds

Last edited:
Grading preseason is kinda like lipsinking or playing air guitar to me. :confused:

Guys - don't you get it? The pre-season starts in week 6, wraps ups about week 14 for the 6 game regular season with a bye at week 18.

Last edited:
Preseason...

1. I would definitely grade THIS 2008 crop of rookies much higher than the poor draft class of 2007 (ignoring next 400 posts parroting that it takes 3 yrs to judge a draft)

2. I would rate the 2007 class of FAs as FAR superior in pre-season to this year's crop of duds

Agreed. The rookies are pretty amazing. It would be hard to match this draft in a rebuild, but you'd sure wanna.

I think Lynch was a good signing. Otherwise... blech.

Oh and PWP... doncha know it takes three years to grade a draft class? :D

O'Connell MVP, why cause he had one decent game? Thanks mostly to great field position.

He played well in the first and second preseason game as well. Not everybody sucked. His stats dont tell the story. He was the only QB who led us to a TD every game he played in. Gutz had that two TD performance in week 3 but that was it for him. At least KOC was leading us down the field effectively.

O'Connel and Crable were IMO the most impressive.

Last edited:
Who cares about the pre-season, the Pats will down the KC Chiefs 24-17 in WK 1, with Lawrence Maroney running for 117 yards to earn game MVP honors.

No injuries is the only category that matters.

Quarterback - A+++++
RB - A-
OL - A
WR - A+++
TE - A+
DL - A++++++
LB - A-
SS/FS - A
CB - A++++
Coaching - A++++++++++++++++++++
Fans - F-------------------------------------------------------------

What exactly is your beef with the fans, sir? Fans get an F for basically making posts discussing why the team has looked like d*ck in 4 straight preseason games?

What exactly is your beef with the fans, sir? Fans get an F for basically making posts discussing why the team has looked like d*ck in 4 straight preseason games?

he's referring to the "sky is falling" fans. Cant say that I blame him.

It's preseason. I'm not concerned about the o-line anymore than I am about Hobbs. We'll be fine. IN BILL WE TRUST.

Guys - don't you get it? The pre-season starts in week 6, wraps ups about week 14 for the 6 game regular season with a bye at week 18.

This is the kindof perspective I was looking for. Well said, and thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News