PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gosselin final mock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Safety, along with quarterback, nose tackle, and guard, is one of the few positions I can't imagine Belichick taking in the first round. Thomas is good, he's one of those nickleback/safety tweeners, but this draft, and every draft, is littered with guys like that, and I don't think Thomas is head and shoulders above the rest of the field, or the backups on our roster, to justify a 1st round pick.

I would hope that Jerry Hughes would be the pick in that scenario, and I could live with Odrick.

Oddly enough, in my no-trade mock, I have Clausen also falling to Minnesota.

The Texans would have an impressive "Thunder and Lightning" RB corps with Foster and Spiller, but have they forgotten what a great season Slaton gave them two years ago?

Thomas would seem to be duplicating Meriweather's coverage/play making skills...and his inconsistent tackling.

This is my feeling exactly. While it would be nice having 2 good cover safeties, Thomas also replicates Meriweather's poor tackling. I like how you use the word "inconsistent" here. Fact of the matter is that when it comes to tackling, "inconsistent" is the same as "poor".

I like where Rick is going here...

- I can accept having Earl Thomas on the roster, despite having Chung, Merriweather and Sanders. He would be the best player on the board assuming WR Bryant is snagged by the Cowboys, who would move up to get him.

The rumor is that the Cowboys want to move up for Earl Thomas though and want to move up to 17 to get him, before the Bengals can pick him. Thomas came in for a visit with the Bengals and the Bengals are rumored to only be interested in using their first round pick on a player that came in for a visit.

All this said, Bryant continues to drop much like (dare I say) Chad Jackson.

This would make 22 really attractive to, maybe, the Seahawks or Broncos, who need a wide receiver.

- Ryan Matthews would be the smarter pick for the Hawks. CJ Spiller, though dynamic on the field, isn't a full time back. Matthews can carry the load, considering his size, with Jones coming in on third and long.

- Titans can reach for a DE with Kyle Wilson on the board. The prospects of trading for Haynesworth on Friday seems like a good reason to grab Wilson as well.

- I have Bulaga dropping even lower in my mock... all the way down to the Packers. Just don't think he projects into anything more than a good guard, but not even the best guard in this draft.

- Agreed. The talent drops off around 29. Thus the Jets are mocked to take a corner. Too bad. I was hoping they had a lot of faith in Cromartie.

BPA is a luxury the Pats simply don't have this year. I'd rather upgrade from a 1-star to a 3-star player at OLB than upgrade from a 3-star to a 4-star player at safety. It would be truly idiotic to draft 3 safeties in the first 34 picks in three years. Furthermore, this guy looks to be undersized and overaggressive - we already have that in Meriweather.

Another safety, that's exactly what the Pats need right now..

I think he was just tired of everyone waiting for his Mocks so much too much pressure so he made him self a "homer" mock giving his team (cowboys) the player he wants them to have

Last edited:
I would HATE for the board to fall like this..Morgan & Graham both go higher than expected, McCain doesn't fall & Pouncey & Spiller go a few picks before us. Hughes & Odrick both gone shortly after our pick. :mad:

I'm praying the opposite happens & Clauson, McCoy, Tebow & Bryant all go round 1 to let the defensive players slide to us.

If the board plays out like this hopefully we would be the ones trading with Dallas. I like Earl Thomas but if we follow it up with Tebow in round 2, well lets just say the scotch will be getting hit hard on friday night.

Are there no true believers here?

Thomas is the BPA. Some have him as the best defensive back in this draft. He is all-pro material.

Why do you all doubt the assessment by Gosselin that few want Bryant? I agree that Dallas will trade up to get him.
=========================

I would be choosing between Thomas, Jackson, McCurty and Odrick. My personal choice is Odrick, but I would NOT be disappointed if the team had him rated much lower than I do. I trust the obvious fact that they have much more information than I do.

I think that Hughes is off our board because of his choice of agent.

I do think that a defensive back is a need.
=========================

The bottom line is that there likely will be at least one more player available. I expect both Bryant and Clausen to be chosen before 22. But, then, they are the question marks of this evening. Even if Rothlessberger is traded, that will in effect be a factor in the Clausen story.

Interesting.

I love safeties, and from everything I've seen/read I really like Earl Thomas and his position versatility. Might well be tough to pass up at #22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back