PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell is at it again - suspends IK Enemkpali

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per Ian Rapaport via PFT. Faces a 4 game suspension for breaking Jets QB Geno Smith's jaw.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...mkpali-faces-at-least-a-four-game-suspension/
This is so dumb.

Bills sign him to the PS.

He is not on a 53 man roster.

So he can't practice for 4 weeks now.

So the Bills are penalized for a player's bad behavior that occurred on another team?

What about the other practice field fights that have happened and no punishment was handed out?

Why does this commissioner continue to look for piles of poop to step in?

Maybe IK was fired by his team but that doesn't mean he was fired.

He ultimately works for the NFL and the teams are just branches of employment.

He deserves 4 games, he deserves more to be frank.

If one of our guys punched Brady I get the feeling no one would be too happy about it.

He is not an employee of the NFL. He is an employee of the Buffalo Bills.

NFL is not a single entity, they are 32 businesses. NFL tried and lost in court to be consider one business.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5214509

The Pats were penalized for stuff Brandon Browner did before he was on the team.

Different, he was already suspended when the Pats had signed him to a deal.

NFL players are employed by their respective NFL teams. They are not employed by the NFL. It's a distinction that should matter.
A distinction that matters, but only insofar as the CBA and player policies should specify who is responsible for enforcing discipline in the case of workplace violence. I'm not employed by the state of New York, but a New York jury can put me in jail for punching out my coworker even after I get fired. For whatever reason, we have no expectation as a society that players will be held accountable to the legal system for assault and battery on their teammates, so there should be some sort of uniform disciplinary policy that applies to players who have committed off-field assault, beyond just allowing clubs to cut players so that they can join some other team's roster (essentially a non-penalty). I don't know if four games suspension is the right penalty, or if the commissioner is the right person to decide on what the penalty should be. But we can't just allow players to assault other players and then max out the discipline to essentially a transfer to a similar job in another city. We've seen NBA players get suspended by their teams for strangling coaches or punching other players, and that is pretty uncontroversial. Perhaps the right answer would have been to allow the Jets suspend him without pay for four games and then cut him, preventing another team from signing him.

Why does this commissioner continue to look for piles of poop to step in?
When you are mired in it consistently, it doesn't matter where you step or stand you're always in it.

OR

When you get paid 30-40 million dollars, new shoes aren't that much of a burden.

Goodell is going after the player. doesn't matter which team he is currently on, the suspension is docking his pay for the time absent?

I'm guessing Geno hasn't pressed charges.
And he won't. Players and other team employees almost never press charges against each other. An aggressive prosecutor could have taken up the case anyway, but that never happens either. So basically there is no legal consequence for assaulting a teammate.

The Pats were penalized for stuff Brandon Browner did before he was on the team.

Difference is that was punishment dispensed before the Pats still signed him.

IK was a FA. Bills signed him then he gets suspended on an issue that no one has been suspended for before?

Steve Smith beat the crap out of Ken Lucas in a CAR practice. Was he suspended? Nope.

Different, he was already suspended when the Pats had signed him to a deal.

They still knew what they were getting into. The Bills took a chance by scooping him up right away and now they have to deal with the consequences.

After losing his lastest battle Goodhell had to make example out of someone.:rolleyes:

When you are mired in it consistently, it doesn't matter where you step or stand you're always in it.

OR

When you get paid 30-40 million dollars, new shoes aren't that much of a burden.

Goodell is going after the player. doesn't matter which team he is currently on, the suspension is docking his pay for the time absent?
Well, seemed to me that this falls out of the NFL Personnel Conduct Policy.

http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/NFL_domestic_violence_policy.pdf

Holy ****. This is unreal. A 4-game suspension for a practice field fight. Wow.

For the record, it wasn't a practice field fight. Gee-NO! was cold-****ed.

A distinction that matters, but only insofar as the CBA and player policies should specify who is responsible for enforcing discipline in the case of workplace violence.

Incorrect. Goodell has taken over areas that are not covered: See Brady, Tom

I'm not employed by the state of New York, but a New York jury can put me in jail for punching out my coworker even after I get fired. For whatever reason, we have no expectation as a society that players will be held accountable to the legal system for assault and battery on their teammates, so there should be some sort of uniform disciplinary policy that applies to players who have committed off-field assault, beyond just allowing clubs to cut players so that they can join some other team's roster (essentially a non-penalty).

That's absolute nonsense.

I don't know if four games suspension is the right penalty, or if the commissioner is the right person to decide on what the penalty should be.

Then, given that my point has been about the entity handing down the penalty, I'm not really the one to be responding to with the whole "legal..." angle.

But we can't just allow players to assault other players and then max out the discipline to essentially a transfer to a similar job in another city.

We can, and we should. It's not 'our' business.

We've seen NBA players get suspended by their teams for strangling coaches or punching other players, and that is pretty uncontroversial. Perhaps the right answer would have been to allow the Jets suspend him without pay for four games and then cut him, preventing another team from signing him.

By their team. I'm fine with the business owner (a/k/a the team) making the calls. I'm not fine with the leagues making the calls. If you go back through my history, you'll find that I've been fully consistent with this, and you can see my take on the MLBPA stupidly giving their commissioner power over domestic violence issues.

Bottom line: Leagues need to leave the law to the law, and the hiring and firing to the owners. The role of the league offices should be to keep the games fair and to deal with the league-wide issues (television deals, etc...) and on-field issues, not the individual issues and the off field issues.

They still knew what they were getting into. The Bills took a chance by scooping him up right away and now they have to deal with the consequences.

Did they? What history has shown a player would get suspended for 4 games by the NFL for a fight in locker room?

We've seen NBA players get suspended by their teams for strangling coaches or punching other players, and that is pretty uncontroversial.
That's because it's laid out quite clearly in the NBA that if a player fights they are ejected and suspended. If a player goes toward a fight, they will be ejected and possibly suspended. Prior notice. Where's the notice that punching a team mate in the NFL is grounds for a four game suspension? Oh, article 46, right?

He was already fired by his employer. Let teams handle their own.

This is like a principal giving a kid a week's detention after his parents already grounded him for punching his little sister.
I agree. It's an internal Jests matter. They fired him, IK apologized, Geno decided not to file suit. Goodell should keep his ginger nose out of it and why does it take so long for these punishments to be handed out? They obviously aren't researching what penalties have been handed out in the past. Plus it feels like this happened years ago.

Incorrect. Goodell has taken over areas that are not covered: See Brady, Tom

That's absolute nonsense.

Then, given that my point has been about the entity handing down the penalty, I'm not really the one to be responding to with the whole "legal..." angle.

We can, and we should. It's not 'our' business.

By their team. I'm fine with the business owner (a/k/a the team) making the calls. I'm not fine with the leagues making the calls. If you go back through my history, you'll find that I've been fully consistent with this, and you can see my take on the MLBPA stupidly giving their commissioner power over domestic violence issues.

Bottom line: Leagues need to leave the law to the law, and the hiring and firing to the owners. The role of the league offices should be to keep the games fair and to deal with the league-wide issues (television deals, etc...) and on-field issues, not the individual issues and the off field issues.
Deus: I take your points. But the flaw in your logic is that this action went beyond an "individual" or "off field" issue since it resulted in Smith's inability to play for his "team" "on" the field.

It wasn't just a fight in a bar between two teammates. It was a fight that resulted in the disabling of a player to the extent that he could not play the game, exacerbated by the fact that it took place on team premises after a team event (practice). I think the League has a legitimate interest in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes