PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell is at it again - suspends IK Enemkpali

Status
Not open for further replies.
And a vicious blind side hit would from a de could kill many of us, what's your point? Hell, I guess you think hockey players should be charged with assault every time they drop the gloves.

My point is that it was felony assault. Hockey has nothing to do with this, that has been an accepted part of the sport and if I understand correctly it's only when 2 players are consenting to the fight.

I actually had an interesting conversation with the VP of my last company who is a lawyer and avid hockey fan.. my argument was, say someone goes to pummel someone in hockey, and the other person doesn't want to fight, and the guy pins him against the boards and just punches his face repeatedly?

At what point does that go from "just part of hockey" to a crime. He said there was an actual case about that but I don't remember the people involved.

Getting side tracked here, but the NFL isn't hockey... in fact, the nfl goes out of its way to not condone fighting by ejecting, fining and suspending players that do it and have domestic violence policies as well

Some reports state geno made contact first (I think I read a push or something), you can shoot people in cold blood in some states as retaliation.

Only a lunatic physco path would shoot and kill someone that shoved them, I'd be very surprised if someone walked free after a retaliation like that

I wasn't there obviously, but according to the Jets own head coach Geno got "sucker punched" which not only makes the assaulter a criminal, it makes him a coward as well

As much as I despise Goodell for the lying scum that he is, I find it difficult to jump on him about this because I remember when the news broke on this I was shocked that nothing came of it legally or otherwise

My point is that it was felony assault. Hockey has nothing to do with this, that has been an accepted part of the sport and if I understand correctly it's only when 2 players are consenting to the fight.

I actually had an interesting conversation with the VP of my last company who is a lawyer and avid hockey fan.. my argument was, say someone goes to pummel someone in hockey, and the other person doesn't want to fight, and the guy pins him against the boards and just punches his face repeatedly?

At what point does that go from "just part of hockey" to a crime. He said there was an actual case about that but I don't remember the people involved.

Getting side tracked here, but the NFL isn't hockey... in fact, the nfl goes out of its way to not condone fighting by ejecting, fining and suspending players that do it and have domestic violence policies as well

Only a lunatic physco path would shoot and kill someone that shoved them, I'd be very surprised if someone walked free after a retaliation like that

I wasn't there obviously, but according to the Jets own head coach Geno got "sucker punched" which not only makes the assaulter a criminal, it makes him a coward as well

As much as I despise Goodell for the lying scum that he is, I find it difficult to jump on him about this because I remember when the news broke on this I was shocked that nothing came of it legally or otherwise

So because Boy King reasons that it should have drawn criminal penalties, he is free to issue baseless, severe penalties? Again, I agree he should have been charged, but he wasn't. So what's next. Some player is out late in Miami and gets a ticket for running a red light, maybe in between lanes(Edit:eek:n one of those damn cameras). Now goodell could just hammer them with whatever punishment would be called for under the substances of abuse policy, because he should have been arrested for dui? It's a ludicrous precedent for the NFLPA to allow to be set.

The blowing someone away thing was a reference to the insane stand your ground laws...

Some of you simply refuse to learn. No matter how many times the NFL pours you a **** dinner, you're just going to keep running to the trough to eat it up.

A distinction that matters, but only insofar as the CBA and player policies should specify who is responsible for enforcing discipline in the case of workplace violence. I'm not employed by the state of New York, but a New York jury can put me in jail for punching out my coworker even after I get fired. For whatever reason, we have no expectation as a society that players will be held accountable to the legal system for assault and battery on their teammates, so there should be some sort of uniform disciplinary policy that applies to players who have committed off-field assault, beyond just allowing clubs to cut players so that they can join some other team's roster (essentially a non-penalty). I don't know if four games suspension is the right penalty, or if the commissioner is the right person to decide on what the penalty should be. But we can't just allow players to assault other players and then max out the discipline to essentially a transfer to a similar job in another city. We've seen NBA players get suspended by their teams for strangling coaches or punching other players, and that is pretty uncontroversial. Perhaps the right answer would have been to allow the Jets suspend him without pay for four games and then cut him, preventing another team from signing him.
Then they should establish a policy regarding fights between teammates during practice time and stick to it. I'd be willing to bet that there are literally dozens of these every season. The only reason Goofy went beserk on /this/ one was because it got a lot of attention in the national press and if was -his- team's QB.

IK should appeal this suspension...he's probably win easily.

so 4 games is the same as allegedly knowing about air in a football? hahahah good one goodell!

Then they should establish a policy regarding fights between teammates during practice time and stick to it. I'd be willing to bet that there are literally dozens of these every season. The only reason Goofy went beserk on /this/ one was because it got a lot of attention in the national press and if was -his- team's QB.

I had a clarifying follow-up post on how important it is to have a specific player policy detailing consistent discipline for workplace violence:

I guess I didn't really emphasize strongly enough that I agree really strongly with your point on player notice. All I want is for the NFL to come up with a very specific, collectively bargained player policy that notifies players and constrains the league and clubs on penalties for workplace violence such that it is very clear how players will be disciplined for assaulting their teammates, rather than leaving this up to the commissioner's discretion. This is exactly what collective bargaining is meant for. My point of disagreement is that there are a lot of people here who think that the NFL should not even be allowed to create a player policy that specifies discipline for workplace violence and that any penalty harsher than a team cutting a player should not be allowed. I feel that this unnecessarily minimizes the consequences to players for an issue that relates directly to the safety of players and team staff.

This doesn't need to be an NFL vs players issue. This is a serious workplace safety issue. It's unacceptable to just allow players to assault their teammates with only minor repercussions, because it fosters a workplace environment that subjects NFL players and team personnel to completely unnecessary risk of bodily harm at the hands of their coworkers. Just make the discipline procedure fair and consistent and well documented so that it doesn't depend on the arbitrary discretion of Emperor Goodell.

Nice of Dale and Holley to pass up asking Kessler about this just now...

This will be another court loss for sh!tbag Goodell! None of the language in the CBA will support this suspension. There are practice fights ALL THE TIME. There are locker room fist fights ALL THE TIME. Simply because Smith was injured as a result of the punch should not change that this is not an offense that warrants a four game punishment.

The proper thing to do is for Goodell to make a case to both the owners and the NFLPA that these fights need to be punished harshly, which would be debated in the next CBA, but instead, he is again taking matters into his own hands like the fool that he is. Football is an inherently violent sport; if you are going to suspend IK, you would have to follow up by suspending any player who punches or kicks with the intent of causing harm. Good luck with that.

Goodell is going down in flames once again.

For the record, it wasn't a practice field fight. Gee-NO! was cold-****ed.
I think Geno put his hand in his face technically making 1st contact and Geno the aggressor

He deserved a suspension .... 4 games is a bit steep ... 1 or 2 would have sufficed.

He deserved a suspension .... 4 games is a bit steep ... 1 or 2 would have sufficed.
Morally, I'd say he deserves a season ban. Unfortunately, per precedent from previous incidents, the league has no leg to stand on for ANY suspension.

Morally, I'd say he deserves a season ban. Unfortunately, per precedent from previous incidents, the league has no leg to stand on for ANY suspension.
It will be hard for them ...
Not sure of a season ban ...
The league needs to write a more complete conduct policy with minimum penalties spelled out and room left for the league to increase the penalties from there after a fair hearing.

It will be hard for them ...
Not sure of a season ban ...
The league needs to write a more complete conduct policy with minimum penalties spelled out and room left for the league to increase the penalties from there after a fair hearing.

After these last few debacles, how to agree to any definition of "fair hearing" with goodell still serving as CommishTard?

He got suspended because he is now a Bills player. If he was still a Jet, he would have got a fine or it would have been ignored.

So because Boy King reasons that it should have drawn criminal penalties, he is free to issue baseless, severe penalties? Again, I agree he should have been charged, but he wasn't. So what's next. Some player is out late in Miami and gets a ticket for running a red light, maybe in between lanes(Edit:eek:n one of those damn cameras). Now goodell could just hammer them with whatever punishment would be called for under the substances of abuse policy, because he should have been arrested for dui? It's a ludicrous precedent for the NFLPA to allow to be set.

The blowing someone away thing was a reference to the insane stand your ground laws...

I hear you, that makes sense.. definitely a slippery slope to go down letting Goodell arbitrarily decide those things...

And my general rule of thumb is to heir on the side of "f*** Roger Goodell"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference