PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Golden Tate or Julian Edelman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting both would be nice too though. :)

This is where I'm at. Right now, Edelman is literally the only receiver on the team I'm comfortable with. (That's not to say the rookies can't or won't progress, but I'd trade any of them for a competent proven starter. And Amendola I won't harp on any further, that situation kind of speaks for itself.)

Until we have a full receiver corps, these questions of JE or "X" don't make sense to me. We need JE AND "X." Or if we lose JE, we need like 3 more Xs...

Considering Tate may come much cheaper, I'd be comfortable with signing Tate over Edelman.

Tate's 2 years younger, he's an even better punt returner (which is really saying something because Edelman is very, very good) and is certainly more of a legit down field threat. Tate has a WR's pedigree too, in that he's been doing it since before college and there's something to be said for a natural WR over a learned one. Tate is a hustler, plays for the team's best interest, blocks, and can play the slot very well. And, he's missed ONE game in the last 3 seasons.

If you could get Tate for $6M guaranteed, versus Edelman's $8M (minimum), and turn him loose with TB12, wouldn't you do it as GM of the Pats?

So many teams are looking to the draft for WR's since this is called the best year for WR's in a long time an underestimated dude like Tate could easily slip through the first wave of signings and then be even cheaper.

FWIW here's Tate's assessment from NFL.com who list him as a FA bargian-

1. Golden Tate, WR, Seattle Seahawks: Instead of pointing out what Tate isn't (a No. 1 receiver), appreciate him for what he is. Although his counting stats have been artificially deflated in the league's run-heaviest offense, Tate led all NFL receivers in forced missed tackles and yards after catch per reception, while doubling as the most effective punt returner in the league. He's a willing blocker, excels on bubble screens and crossing routes, is able to beat cornerbacks deep and has improved every season.

I really like Golden Tate; he would be a great fit for this team as the Z-WR or SE-WR. He is not a slot receiver though, so you would be relying on Amendola to give you production at the Y-WR position.

I would probably go with Tate, I like Edelman, but unless we release Amendola, I feel we have redundancy. Tate can get down the field more and work outside.

I would like it if Tate just stayed. He has grown very slowly in his short career, but he does grow and follows instructions from his coaches. He would have a party with Brady throwing the ball no doubt, but Edelman is a quality player and the actual impact would be minimal or if anything lateral.

He is reliable and very physical, great blocker.

As B6 says, Tate is a decent alternative if Edes goes and Tate is not "feeding his family" to excess.
He strikes me as having the physicality that let David Givens be Mr 1st down in his career with Brady, only faster.

I think the question being asked is wrong. The question should be "if Julian Edelman walks, would you rather have Golden Tate or Emanuel Sanders?"
Tate, without question.

if we cant sign minitron, id be fine with Tate.

But I'd rather keep the pieces we have then try a piece that may not fit.

if we cant sign minitron, id be fine with Tate.

But I'd rather keep the pieces we have then try a piece that may not fit.

Tate has proven himself in the NFL (which shows he's talented and has a good work ethic) and graduated from Notre Dame (which shows he's intelligent). What exactly about his game do think won't fit with New England?

Tate has proven himself in the NFL (which shows he's talented and has a good work ethic) and graduated from Notre Dame (which shows he's intelligent). What exactly about his game do think won't fit with New England?

the fact that he has not played here.

Just because he did okay in Pete Carrols college like RAH RAH system doesn't mean he'd mesh well in BB's

I'm wary of giving Edelman a big contract, but I don't really like Golden Tate either.

Just because he did okay in Pete Carrols college like RAH RAH system doesn't mean he'd mesh well in BB's

If we're going on that logic, the Pats should never sign FA's or draft players because there's no guarantee that they would fit BB's system.

If we're going on that logic, the Pats should never sign FA's or draft players because there's no guarantee that they would fit BB's system.

If this was anyone else I'd say they were just being grumpy because of daylight savings, but its you so i know you're just being yourself.

I really don't see how what I said somehow turned into "we should never sign any free agents"

All im saying is between julian and golden, I'd rather hold on to the guy I KNOW FITS, then go with someone who might not.

this isnt a ******* comparison between Calvin Johnson, Brandon lloyd. It's two guys with similar skillsets.

If this was anyone else I'd say they were just being grumpy because of daylight savings, but its you so i know you're just being yourself.

Hey you don't say that!

I really don't see how what I said somehow turned into "we should never sign any free agents"

All im saying is between julian and golden, I'd rather hold on to the guy I KNOW FITS, then go with someone who might not.

Your logic was that we should not sign Tate because we don't know if he'll fit in BB's system in spite of everything I had pointed out in the previous post. If that logic applies to Tate, it should also apply to every other FA and/or draftee that we pick up. Therefore, we should never draft or sign anyone because it's no guarantee that they'll fit in BB's system.

On the other hand, I think Tate will fit just fine. He doesn't have a checkered history of running his mouth to the media up there, we know he can get it done physically, he runs every route, and he's a bright guy. I think he would fit just fine.

this isnt a ******* comparison between Calvin Johnson, Brandon lloyd. It's two guys with similar skillsets.

Not really. Tate is capable of threatening outside the numbers as well as inside them. Edelman does most of his damage inside the numbers.

He also played under Charlie Weis' college system, which bares somewhat more than a bit
of a resemblance to Bill's.

Hey you don't say that!

Your logic was that we should not sign Tate because we don't know if he'll fit in BB's system in spite of everything I had pointed out in the previous post. If that logic applies to Tate, it should also apply to every other FA and/or draftee that we pick up. Therefore, we should never draft or sign anyone because it's no guarantee that they'll fit in BB's system.

On the other hand, I think Tate will fit just fine. He doesn't have a checkered history of running his mouth to the media up there, we know he can get it done physically, he runs every route, and he's a bright guy. I think he would fit just fine.

Not really. Tate is capable of threatening outside the numbers as well as inside them. Edelman does most of his damage inside the numbers.

no, You are expanding what i said without taking into account the criteria for the decision.

That would be like saying I like pepperoni pizza, and I'd rather order that then the BBQ chicken, because i don't know if i'd enjoy the BBQ chicken. OH WELL THEN NEVER ORDER ANYTHING BUT PEPPERONI pizza EVER AGAIN.

no, You are expanding what i said without taking into account the criteria for the decision.

That would be like saying I like pepperoni pizza, and I'd rather order that then the BBQ chicken, because i don't know if i'd enjoy the BBQ chicken. OH WELL THEN NEVER ORDER ANYTHING BUT PEPPERONI pizza EVER AGAIN.

Are you really going to dig your heels in on this one? You made a terrible point and I expanded that logic to include other unknowns. Not signing Tate because you're not sure how he would fit (when it's been pointed out in many ways that he would fit well) it's a terrible reason for not pulling the trigger on a guy that's bright, athletic, and succeeded in the same college system (as the good captain pointed out).

Next time just say you prefer Edelman because you think that his skillset and what he does between the numbers works better than what Tate would give us. I could at least see that. I'd probably still argue against it, but a stance like that would make for a more productive debate than making a borderline brain dead point about how an unknown would fit in our system and using that as a reason for not picking Tate over Edelman.

for the same money?

Tate.......not even close

2 years younger
historically more durable

tate has improved every year, and if he can catch 900 in an offense run by russell wilson, no at all a stretch to believe he would be REALLY productive having Brady throw him the ball.

I like Edelman but to the original post of the thread, if Edelman gets $8M per from anybody that would be insane.

Golden Tate is not a better punt returner than Edelman.

Tate is significantly better than Edelman and should make a good deal more money on his next contract. If they came for the same amount of money, I would rather have Tate, althoug hit would be close simply because we've seen so many receivers fail in this offense. Being a known quantity is worth something, and Edelman definitely has that going for him. Tate played for Charlie Weis, though, so it's pretty easy to assume that he could make the transition.

I won't claim to know what ESPN defines as "middle," but Tate has four career catches in that middle category, one each of the last two seasons and two in 2011. The official NFL play by play credited him with 6 "middle" receptions last season and 5 in 2012.

Edelman, by comparison, had 15 last season according to ESPN and 39 according to the NFL play by play. Yes, Tate has been more of an outside receiver, but I think you're massively overselling him as an inside receiver. That's not his game. His game is getting on the edge away from traffic, where there's a ton of room to run if he can break that first tackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST