PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Globe: Law talking directly to Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.
IF he returns I can unretire my #24 that has been to all 3 SB's so that would mean a 4th one for sure, COme on Ty you know you want to!!!!!

Last edited:
Ty talked to Belichick last yr as well, my guess he will end up in seattle...

QuiGon said:
Nice to see someone who gets it. So many people want to bring factors into the equation that BB just doesn't care about. He doesn't care about the Postons, what Law may have said in 2004 or what public statements they may make right now. Belichick will simply look at 2 things:

1) The quality of player we are getting, and
2) How much it will cost us.

The rest is just nonsense and fan speculation.

No offense, but isn't it just fan speculation to say you know that he doesn't care? I tend to agree in this case, I think he'd take the player for the right price. But after BB's treatment of Tom Jackson and Freddie Mitchell, I don't think anybody can make a blanket statement that he doesn't pay attention to media crap or doesn't hold a grudge. He's a disciplined decision maker, but no robot.

patchick said:
No offense, but isn't it just fan speculation to say you know that he doesn't care? I tend to agree in this case, I think he'd take the player for the right price. But after BB's treatment of Tom Jackson and Freddie Mitchell, I don't think anybody can make a blanket statement that he doesn't pay attention to media crap or doesn't hold a grudge. He's a disciplined decision maker, but no robot.

Good point but Tom jackson doesn't win or lose football games for him He can afford to carry that grudge. A grudge against Ty for shooting off his mouth is a grudge BB cannot afford.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Good point but Tom jackson doesn't win or lose football games for him He can afford to carry that grudge. A grudge against Ty for shooting off his mouth is a grudge BB cannot afford.
Well put...

Patjew said:
Well put...
I do not think there is anything bad between them now...I really think that is all behind them...I remember in early 04..the 2nd day of training camp...and off to the side Ty was talking with BB..for about 15 minutes..Just wonder what was going on?? But I think it is not there now.

lord knows none of us ever changes minds

PatsWickedPissah said:
As I said, consider politics. You're a natural!
pissah, your needle seems to have found a spot.
my track record at predicting things is so pathetic i just keep my mouth shut.
maybe i should apply for scooter's job.

Sean Pa Patriot said:
Ty talked to Belichick last yr as well, my guess he will end up in seattle...

Poston told the media he was anticipating a contract offer from Seattle on Wednesday.....if he got one it apparently wasn't worth mentioning.

Now Poston is apparently using the media to IM the Titans:

Titans | Poston still hoping Titans will call on Law
Sat, 15 Apr 2006 06:33:37 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports agent Carl Poston said this week he still hopes free agent CB Ty Law (Jets) will get a visit to Nashville to meet with the Tennessee Titans. Law's price tag is probably scaring the Titans off. He's believed to be looking for $10 million in up-front money, along with salaries in the range of $5 million per year.

:eek: :scared:

As long as Poston keeps this up all BB and Ty will be able to talk about is old times. With the young talent we have at CB I'm sure BB would prefer to talk about something more meaningful, like this year, with a veteran CB before the draft. Although as long as a Poston remains in the mix Ty will probably be encouraged to continue to overplay his hand aging hand.

yeah but.....

spacecrime said:
He's gone. He left. He won't be coming back. Get over it. Move on.

I would lose all respect for Ty if he crumbled and came back begging after turning down the offer two years ago. He has too much pride to do that.

The only reason the Postons are saying Law might come beck to NE is to raise the price for another team. Like they said Law turned down $6 mill from KC, and then he signed for $1 mil from the Jests.

Even if BB was talking to Ty about returning, you think he would continue now that Postons are using BB as a negotiating ploy?

BB signs under the radar.

Ty's got to be thinking retirement after maybe what....2 more years......everyone always wants to come home....right Tom.......?? Thinking that Ty wants to retire a Patriot!! Be interesting to see what happens on this one....

The Pats have dealt with the Postons since then, remember they signed T-Buck the same offseason Law was causing trouble.

MoLewisrocks said:
Poston told the media he was anticipating a contract offer from Seattle on Wednesday.....if he got one it apparently wasn't worth mentioning.

Now Poston is apparently using the media to IM the Titans:

Titans | Poston still hoping Titans will call on Law
Sat, 15 Apr 2006 06:33:37 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports agent Carl Poston said this week he still hopes free agent CB Ty Law (Jets) will get a visit to Nashville to meet with the Tennessee Titans. Law's price tag is probably scaring the Titans off. He's believed to be looking for $10 million in up-front money, along with salaries in the range of $5 million per year.

For someone who says he only wants to play for a contender how do the Titans fit in to that mold? I realize Ty is about the money but at the same time he truly wants to win and play for a winner. I can't see him going to a crappy team for a few more bucks, unless the offer is so ridiculous that he couldn't refuse it. But the Titans GM has already stated that they can't afford Ty Law.

I think he either comes back to NE or he ends up in Seattle, KC may still be an option but I think it comes down to the final dollar figures between NE and Seattle. Just my 2 cents.

How much cap room does Seattle have? I can't imagine they have a lot after the splurge on Alexander and Burleson.

As much as I'd like Law to be in a Pats uniform next year, I just don't see how that can happen. Ty is going to have to come way way down on his salary demands and no matter how much he loves winning, I just think he loves his money more. I think the next time we see Law in a Pats uniform, it will be on the day before he decides to retire from the NFL.

Ty, if you happen to read this please prove me wrong! :D

Why do you think that Seattle or KC will pay more for Ty Law than we will? I would expect that we would offer what we did last time, plus more because of inflation in the market. I think that puts the contract in the $7-8M a year range for a three year contract. I think we offered $26M for four years as a starting offer last time. Ty Law is worth more to the pats than to other teams. He knows the system; he is an instant star for the patriots. The defense would be awesome with Seymour,Bruschi,Vrabel,Law and Harrison as the core. We instantly would be a top 5 defense for the 2006 playoffs (well presumably we figured out who was playing OLB.

smg93 said:
As much as I'd like Law to be in a Pats uniform next year, I just don't see how that can happen. Ty is going to have to come way way down on his salary demands and no matter how much he loves winning, I just think he loves his money more. I think the next time we see Law in a Pats uniform, it will be on the day before he decides to retire from the NFL.

Ty, if you happen to read this please prove me wrong! :D

mgteich said:
Why do you think that Seattle or KC will pay more for Ty Law than we will? I would expect that we would offer what we did last time, plus more because of inflation in the market. I think that puts the contract in the $7-8M a year range for a three year contract. I think we offered $26M for four years as a starting offer last time. Ty Law is worth more to the pats than to other teams. He knows the system; he is an instant star for the patriots. The defense would be awesome with Seymour,Bruschi,Vrabel,Law and Harrison as the core. We instantly would be a top 5 defense for the 2006 playoffs (well presumably we figured out who was playing OLB.

That was what, 3 years ago? 2?

He's alot older now. 26M for 4 years for a 33 year old CB? Are you kidding? He looked slower and fatter last year too, and yes I know he had some interceptions, but that doesn't always mean he was great. Pats have 3 starting CBs in Samuel, Hobbs, and Gay. Which one do you cut or make inactive so you can pay Law 6.5M a year? Ludicrous. You cut him after 2 years (or can he play until he's 40? Why not?) and take a cap hit for the remaining? NO thanks.

mgteich said:

Why would we pay more for an older cornerback with a foot injury, (lis franc), that historically doesn't heal well?

mgteich said:

mg - Ty is looking for $5M+ per year. You're talking $7-8M per???? Talk like that could get you a job in the Poston's firm.

Ty is 32, will be 32 all season. The $26M deal we offered him in 2004 was to be for 2004-2007. Ages 30-33. While the cap has gone up dramatically, the player is now 2 years older and coming off a serious injury that (INT's aside) obvioulsy hampered him throughout 2005. We made that offer pre injury and likely with a belief that even if he didn't remain an elite corner by 2007 he could likely evolve into an elite safety. Almost 2 years removed from his injury he has similar potential - because we know he can play well hurt - but we are now talking about playing at ages 32-34. Cap expansion market adjustment aside, that $6.5M per ship has sailed.

I think we do represent the one team that could and might well pay him substantial signing bonus money this year on a 3 year deal because he knows the system, the players, the coaches, they know him and how to use him warts included, we have a need or needs in the defensive backfield and we have cap space. The problem with Ty would be getting a deal done without the Poston's trying to use it to ramp up other interest or using our mere interest to convince Ty to hang tough for another month or two. That strategy ultimately got him his $6.5M in the final analysis last season, though it only worked out that way because the JETS needed to manipulate some cap money late in the season.

If an offer comes from Belioli it will likely be one of those 45 minute take it or leave it deals like the Colts put on the table for Adam. 3/$12-15M with performance incentives to maybe $18M and a $6-7M SB. Perhaps that is what he and BB talked about for part of their reported 4 hour meeting aside from parameters - that if an offer were to be made here it would be accepted or rejected under the radar or if not it would be withdrawn before the ink dried. We have some young corners on the roster - I think BB wants to know pre draft where he stands.

I think there is a lot greater chance of Ty returning this year than there was last year, but I'm still not going to hold my breath because it is Ty and Carl Poston we're talking about. Until he signs somewhere he will always be just a phone call from most any GM away from veering off in another direction where he senses a potential bigger payday. And BB isn't going to play that game with him. Any deal he gets here will be realistic and achievable and not some pie in the sky backloaded deal Ty can and will pound his chest over or throw a hissy over once he cashes his bonus check.

When Ty left Seattle (from whence an offer has yet to emerge) there was a throw away line in Holmgren's comments about how you would need to gauge what the player had left to offer emotionally (given he's got 3 rings) as well as physically as well as what it would take to sign him. I took that, as I think most did, as Mike questioning if a worthwhile deal could be achieved with this particular player given his public demands. Ty on the other hand, I think genuinely, interpreted it as Holmgren acknowledging you have to expect to pay for talent like his. At the end of the day it is hard to deal rationally and professionally with people who even as they listen to you tend to hear what they want to hear. ;)

Ty Law can cross Kansas City off his list...

This from SI.com:

The Kansas City Chiefs signed free-agent cornerback Chris Johnson on Tuesday, as the team searches for a starter to play opposite Patrick Surtain.

Looks like the list keeps getting smaller

patchick said:
Did BB's handling of Tom Jackson or Freddie Mitchell in any way affect his player/personnel decisions for this team...?

I think Belichick has demonstrated conclusively that when it comes to making personnel decisions, he is 100% logical and 0% emotional.

njpatsfan said:
In political parlayance, this is called a "nuanced" position, which is just a fancy name for SITTING ON THE FENCE.
That is a poor analogy. SITTING ON THE FENCE is when someone refuses to take a position on a certain issue. But what I am doing is making a prediction about the likelihood of a future event occurring. Obviously, as time passes and more data becomes available, I am able to adjust my "likelihood percentage".

Suppose I asked you what you thought the probability of the Red Sox winning tonight was and you answered 75%. Then after 7 innings they are losing 5-0, so I ask you the same question. Would it be "sitting on the fence" for you to adjust your prediction now that more data has become available..? Of course it wouldn't. Or would you just stubbornly maintain your stance it was 75% likely they will win..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes