PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Globe: Law talking directly to Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba.../04/13/seymour_agrees_to_an_extension/?page=2

Ty Law has been having discussions directly with coach Bill Belichick on a possible return to the Patriots, according to Law's agent, Carl Poston, but the Patriots have not yet talked money.

''The talks have been on the level of Ty and Bill and nothing else," Poston said. ''It's been more of a feeling-out process. As I receive some offers on Ty, I'll present them to the Patriots and see what they think and what they can do."

Poston said he was expecting an offer for Law from the Seattle Seahawks last night and that Law is also waiting to hear from the Tennessee Titans on a possible visit.

Miguel, maybe when you're doing pillow talk stuff with the Postons you could sorta nudge this along. I'd love to see Ty back here (and my wife always thought he was buff) at CB and safety.

Last edited:
R_T26 said:
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba.../04/13/seymour_agrees_to_an_extension/?page=2

Ty Law has been having discussions directly with coach Bill Belichick on a possible return to the Patriots, according to Law's agent, Carl Poston, but the Patriots have not yet talked money.

''The talks have been on the level of Ty and Bill and nothing else," Poston said. ''It's been more of a feeling-out process. As I receive some offers on Ty, I'll present them to the Patriots and see what they think and what they can do."

Poston said he was expecting an offer for Law from the Seattle Seahawks last night and that Law is also waiting to hear from the Tennessee Titans on a possible visit.

Sorry, at this point I wouldn't believe a word from the Poston bros.

TY: I'm sorry Bill, I was an idiot, you were going to pay me well, and I was a jerk, I should have stayed with the Pats, can I please come back?

BB: Geez, I dunno Ty, I just gave number 24 to Mitchell.

TY: Please, please, what can I do?

BB: Well, you could start with firing the Postons.

Seriously, Ty needs one more int as a Patriot to be the clubs all-time leader, he could easily move from CB to safety if needed, it would give the Pats all the DBs they needed, and free them up to take the "best player available" in the draft. If he wants to come back for the right amount it would be great. Also did you read the article on Tebucky in the Globe, on how he missed going to the playoffs, in NO and MIA. Ty is a ham, and loves the big stage, and you are almost guarenteed the playoffs with the Pats. It would also send a message to our own players to have both Ty and Tebucky around, living proof that the grass is indeed not greener on the other side of the street.

Ty Law in NE as a Safety with Rodney. Moving Geno to CB with a four man CB rotation of Geno, Blue, Ellis, and Asante that no opposing QB would ever be able to game plan......yummmmm.

Last edited:
R_T26 said:
At the risk of patting myself on the back, I predicted in December that Law would end up back in New England this season. I admit I backed away from that prediction over February and March... maybe I should get back on that bandwagon :)

I think it is certainly well within the realm of possibility. I have debated with others who think all bridges were burned in spring of 2004 (which is silly because Law played for us that following season). BB is not an emotional person... he will evaluate Law based on what he brings and what he costs... any statements made 2 years ago are a complete non-factor.

PatsChick87 said:
Sorry, at this point I wouldn't believe a word from the Poston bros.

I agree with you Ms. Chick. I can however see him possibly coming back. But not at the 7 billion per season that the Postons are asking for.

shmessy said:
Ty Law in NE as a Safety with Rodney. Moving Geno to CB with a four man CB rotation of Geno, Blue, Ellis, and Asante that no opposing QB would ever be able to game plan......yummmmm.
Make that a double yummmmmm.

I can only imagine what a ball hawk like Law could do roaming the field as a FS in BB's defense. I can just see poor Peyton's eyes light up at such news. No doubt Peyton would feign severe menstral cramp discomfort as his reason for not playing that day.

Bostonian1962 said:
I agree with you Ms. Chick. I can however see him possibly coming back. But not at the 7 billion per season that the Postons are asking for.
True enough - especially since the Patriots are only $5.5 billion under the cap. :D

What is the point of having an agent? The Postons are the biggest Oxygen thiefs associated with the NFL!

shmessy said:

I think any DC in the league would have no problem gameplanning against a collection of solid but not spectacular #2 CBs.

Yes, a combo of Law-Harrison-Wilson-Samuel would be a solid starting quartet, and Blue & Hobbs at nickel-dime is great insurance, but its hardly impregnable.

At best I think you can say that even if two starters went down (3 if Warfield works out), there would be no obvious weak link in the secondary, which is a heckuva a lot more than we could say last year.

Last edited:
Interesting point on the Poston Boyz from NFL.com:

Arrington, Law and Woodson can still impact the draft if they sign prior to the start of Round 1. But, on the other hand, the second NFL teams draft an outside linebacker or cornerback in the first round, the player's value goes down. I expect six linebackers and three cornerbacks selected in the opening round and that eliminates nine teams from having interest in the veterans. If the players sense the market is folding up, the price could drop and the window of opportunity could be hours wide.

I would love to see Greg Blue and Rodney in the same defensive backfield! Imagine the WR heads spinning, they would be a weeekly staple on "JACKED UP"!!!

I wouldn't say we're in the range of probabilities just yet, given the $ fueled mentality of the player and the agent, but we are definitely in the realm of serious possibility - a realm we were not in at any point last season. Given the price of gas these days Ty should be finally feeling the pinch where this show me the money road tour is concerned. Again this season only tepid interest from a handful of teams, most of whom publicly proclaim before he even visits that he needs to adjust his ridiculous bonus $ demands or the visit won't progress beyond a social one.

Financial warts and that ego driven mouth aside Ty is one of the handful of players BB has really loved having play for him in his tenure here. He had to work at convincing him that in doing it his way the immense talent would shine through even brighter. Last season Ty experienced empty stats on a loosing team and is now seeing they made little difference in his fortunes going forward. Playing for a coach and on a team who puts you in position to be a game changer on a winner is far more rewarding emotionally and at the end of the day financially.

The best part of a return at this stage would be veteran stability and a touch of swagger in the secondary from a player who knows this system inside and out. That and the look on Peyton's face....

I hope this time BB can talk him in off the ledge. Hey, he got it worked out with the Mrs.....:D

QuiGon said:
At the risk of patting myself on the back, I predicted in December that Law would end up back in New England this season. I admit I backed away from that prediction over February and March... maybe I should get back on that bandwagon :)

So, you were 'for it before you were against it'. Consider politics as a career Quiggy.

QuiGon said:
BB is not an emotional person...
I think Tom Jackson will beg to differ. He still can't get no play from BB, regardless of what they say. Privately, we know BB still hates him.

As for Ty Law: over-the-hill and far-away. His best days are behind him and even though he could help the club, this year, it won't be that significant, especially for the money he'll be asking. I'll pass, so will Bill, unless he comes here for a very cheap price.

The only thing Law is saying to BB is . . . . " Please, please, please slap me in the face with that 24 Million dollar insult again"!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

borisman said:
I think Tom Jackson will beg to differ. He still can't get no play from BB, regardless of what they say. Privately, we know BB still hates him.

As for Ty Law: over-the-hill and far-away. His best days are behind him and even though he could help the club, this year, it won't be that significant, especially for the money he'll be asking. I'll pass, so will Bill, unless he comes here for a very cheap price.

Interestingly, early in his pro career BB was Tom Jackson's coach in Denver for a year. Wonder what transpired?

I do not see Law as over the hill. I know BB would salivate at Law as a swing CB/safety and long term saftey in his D. And he'd pay a fair price, just not an exorbitant one.

-phil (hopes he has the right Tom Jackson)

PatsWickedPissah said:
So, you were 'for it before you were against it'. Consider politics as a career Quiggy.
That's a misrepresentation of what I said (perhaps deliberately, perhaps accidentally). I said it was something I originally (in December and January) thought had a strong chance of happening. Then I moderated my stance a bit in February and March. Now in April, that stance is strengthening again somewhat.

That is a far cry from being for something then being against it. More like it went from 75% likelihood to 33% and now we are at 50%.

borisman said:
Well then allow me the chance to rephrase: Bill Belichick does not make decisions on the players and personnel of this team based on emotion, whether that emotion is good or bad.

borisman said:

Law had a darn fine season last year coming off an injury and playing for an atrocious team. Will NE write him a blank check..? Of course not. But him coming here is certainly in the realm of possibility. And FWIW I don't see any chance he goes to Seattle.

QuiGon said:
That's a misrepresentation of what I said (perhaps deliberately, perhaps accidentally). I said it was something I originally (in December and January) thought had a strong chance of happening. Then I moderated my stance a bit in February and March. Now in April, that stance is strengthening again somewhat.

That is a far cry from being for something then being against it. More like it went from 75% likelihood to 33% and now we are at 50%.

As I said, consider politics. You're a natural!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes