PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Glenn Ordway out at WEEI !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course there is...just try to prove it though

To my way of thinking it seems like simple greed and to hell with loyalty to their employees but of course this is just my opinion.

And you can tell me otherwise as much as you want but I can still chose to turn off WEEI; why should I be loyal to a company that is not loyal to their own employees?

The radio industry has no loyalty. Either get rating or get fired. You are looking for loyalty in what you listen to, start listening to self published podcasts.

Does anyone think that there is some age discrimination going on here?
Here's a novel thought- how about the guy just didn't cut it anymore? He bullied callers, brought in some of the most talent-less, worthless co-hosts in the history of sports radio (Smerlas, Stearns, Larry Johnson, Bill Burt, etc.), refused to change with the times and, finally, got lazy. If it took him 60 odd years to do that, then that's the only way his age played a part. He just simply sucked.

It's public knowledge that Ordway's salary had been cut due to automatic triggers in his contract. As the ratings decreased, so did his compensation. My guess is that his base salary reached a minimum where the contract didn't allow any more cuts. There is no way this "firing" happened without a discussion of renegotiation. Ordway probably has a extremely favorable buy-out and he decided to take that instead.

Target audience....this has been coming ever since the other station stood on its feet.

Speaking for the members of my own rather larger extended family, I can say the under 30 nephews and cousins sorta hate listening to him, especially when he digresses back into ancient Celtic history.

Ordway has a wealth of experience in the business and he'll land on his feet somewhere. Perhaps his old buddy, the Blessed Francoma, will talk the Indians into using his prodigious ball washing talents to build their broadcasting arm...something will come along.

Target audience....this has been coming ever since the other station stood on its feet.

Speaking for the members of my own rather larger extended family, I can say the under 30 nephews and cousins sorta hate listening to him, especially when he digresses back into ancient Celtic history.

Ordway has a wealth of experience in the business and he'll land on his feet somewhere. Perhaps his old buddy, the Blessed Francoma, will talk the Indians into using his prodigious ball washing talents to build their broadcasting arm...something will come along.

I was thinking Ordway could get together with Mike Francesa and do a Grumpy Old Men reboot movie.

Not really
It's the entertainment industry so when your demographic ages out and results drop precipitously, you go.
The same thing will happen to entertainment industry's Tom Brady.

It is pretty sad when he can be beat out by Felger and Mazz. The Douche and Baseball-jock-sniffer did not have any good co-hosts (sorry but I loved The Pink Pachyderm & Freddy for football and Pete Shep in general) nor did they have the Whiner Line nor did they have WEEIs superior producers... Felger and Mazz is produced on a shoestring...

I think that the firing him was a huge mistake (right up there with firing Tito); we shall see but I think that the Big Show will tank.

Remember when he and Johnny Most brought us the Celtics???..

It is pretty sad when he can be beat out by Felger and Mazz. The Douche and Baseball-jock-sniffer did not have any good co-hosts (sorry but I loved The Pink Pachyderm & Freddy for football and Pete Shep in general) nor did they have the Whiner Line nor did they have WEEIs superior producers... Felger and Mazz is produced on a shoestring...

I think that the firing him was a huge mistake (right up there with firing Tito); we shall see but I think that the Big Show will tank.
I've got a news flash for you: the Big Show already tanked. And it tanked while being a better show than Felger's, not that that's saying much. It's ratings...nothing more, nothing less. And Ordway and Wolfe saw it coming for many months and couldn't, or wouldn't, do what was necessary to stem the tide. Why in the hell did they insist on bringing DeOssie back from 2-6 on Mondays? DeOssie isn't relevant anymore and probably never was to a great degree. God, when he and Smerlas used to be on with Ordway it was "the callers don't know anything because they never played the game" BS morphing into "I'll kick your ass in person" to callers who dared question them. It was hideous radio.

well, if this piece of vanilla cardboard coming on board for the 2 to 6 slot is any indication, that time slot is probably doomed. I watched a bit of his work on the tube and have no idea what Wolfe is shooting for here...I'll listen to the first show, but I'm probably off the roster as a regular listener.

2 years ago, I thought the Big Show was just right...I have no idea why they axed the Meat, first off...I've heard and read all kinds of stuff...perhaps the best way to find out is ask Andy on his Facebook page or Pete, himself...then for some reason, they tried to drive a wedge between DeOssie and Smerlas and then ostracized Freddy completely...I can honestly say I tried to never miss a segment when THAT was the format...I'm guessing my demographic is considered too small to be of any importance.

Life goes on...one door closes, another opens...maybe Krafty Bob will see a hole and start a Patriots/NFL radio show broadcasting to the southern NE area...a small investment for possibly lucrative gains. This all reminds me of the SCORE blowing their heads off with a cannon by ditching Cordische and Gresh and bringing in Amy Lawrence, because one of their cubicle dweebs ran gaggling like a school girl to the boss about how she tested out in an Alpha research demographic study...as you know, that station doesn't exist as a sports entity anymore.

Here's a novel thought- how about the guy just didn't cut it anymore? He bullied callers, brought in some of the most talent-less, worthless co-hosts in the history of sports radio (Smerlas, Stearns, Larry Johnson, Bill Burt, etc.), refused to change with the times and, finally, got lazy. If it took him 60 odd years to do that, then that's the only way his age played a part. He just simply sucked.

Hey, I like Larry Johnson. But why he's paired with the contemptable Yankee-lover Mustard
I'll never understand.

Everytime I see one of these threads, it reminds me how much better my life as a sports fan has become in the ~5 years since I last turned the dial to sports talk radio in any form. It's basically worthless - I only care when a current Patriot is on, and when that happens a good summary always finds its way here.

Everytime I see one of these threads, it reminds me how much better my life as a sports fan has become in the ~5 years since I last turned the dial to sports talk radio in any form. It's basically worthless - I only care when a current Patriot is on, and when that happens a good summary always finds its way here.

Could not agree more. Haven't been a part time listener for years. The only things I listen to are things like station switching to accidental Troy Brown encounters or Matt Chatham's excellent pre game appearances, which I usually miss. Then again I'm outside the demo.

Firing Orway is the most stupid and idiotic thing I have ever seen in Boston media. Pure greed by Jason Wolfe.

The reason the ratings are dropping is not because of Orway but rather because of too many commercials and too much baseball. To me WEEI seems like basically one big commercial with a break here and there for baseball jock sniffing.

Firing Ordway will go down as being about as intelligent as firing Tito (and replacing him with Valentine). It will be a disaster for WEEI and good riddance.

While no fan of Ordway the demise came when they took the real big show away. It was fun to listen to the guest hosts ... Ordway ran the show well and the less he talked the better. Dale & Holley was a great show and so they ruined 2 good shows and now they pay the price. Mut & Merloni is okay ... not bad and not great ... not sure what they were thinking on that one except Merloni was a Red Sox player.

Couldn't agree more. Nothing compares to reading or listening to writers or athletes that don't have a slanted agenda or ego but just report on what they're seeing on film and the all the possible angles that go into a game plan each week. Give me a steady stream of Reiss, Bruschi, Chatham and Brown over any of these clowns on the radio.

Folks, I gotta tell ya. if you listen to either 98.5 or EEI for too many minutes, they both suck. I long ago learned to limit my exposure thus I'm not so agitated with the content.

While no fan of Ordway the demise came when they took the real big show away. It was fun to listen to the guest hosts ... Ordway ran the show well and the less he talked the better. Dale & Holley was a great show and so they ruined 2 good shows and now they pay the price. Mut & Merloni is okay ... not bad and not great ... not sure what they were thinking on that one except Merloni was a Red Sox player.

Yup yup YUP. Dale and Holley was great and the old Big Show was even better. Wolfe ruined both.

The Big Show is doomed. Holley has the Al Michaels disease; he is well spoken and polite and well informed and liked by everyone and.... well... boring... Al Michaels slowly killed MNF and Holley will slowly kill The Big Show...

Jason Wolfe is the one who should be fired. His tinkering has made it worse....

Remember when he and Johnny Most brought us the Celtics???..
It should be noted that Ordway got that job with Most by backstabbing Rick Weitzman. Its a story I'm very familiar with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News