PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gil Brandt: Rumor - Mallet to Houston for their 2nd round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember this is the 2nd youngest team in the league. If there were ever a year where the term "quality over quantity" made sense its this one. We don't need 8 rookies added to the myriad of young guys we already have littering the roster. If I could get a quality DT, TE, and OLman, I'd be thrilled and would happily trade the rest of my picks out into future drafts, or for trading up to add a big CB or SS if he were out there. We need to focus more on developing the young talent we have, rather than add more to it. JMHO

I absolutely agree with you and I think I said in the Patriots Draft talk that the gold for us this year is the 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Ok one could say "well this is true for every team, every year" , but for us, specially given the moment, it's absolutely essential to nail on this next draft if we want to have a real shot at getting a ring in 2/3 seasons and I don't think there are much teams out there knocking on the door like we are. They go and disappear, it's all about the 4 that played last weekend in fact, so those teams are the teams we need to focus and compare.

Last years draft was so deep some analyst said the gold was between rounds 3 and 5, this year I'm not following that close but it appears to be deep as well so you can get good valuable players late but we already don't have the 5th round pick , the 4th is #125 overall if I did the math correctly, so I wouldn't mind to trade up. Given the holes we need to fill we need to come out of this draft with 3 starters at least, trading Mallet even for the Texans 3rd round pick would help a lot in this process.

I'm sorry Mallet won't play a snap for the Patriots, Brady is not going to retire before this 4th ring, shi* happens I know but I trust Brady's radar to avoid any possibility of getting injured. Get a veteran band-aid QB and focus on drafting the next GOAT in 2015 or 2016.

For O'Brien, this is setting up very similarly to what Pioli had to deal with in 2009. The available QBs (Sanchez, Freeman) weren't going to be franchise guys, but the fan base was so focused on getting the QB that nothing else was going to be acceptable. That put Pioli (and Cassel) behind the eight ball from day one in K.C. A large group of that fan base ended up getting together and paying for banners to be flown calling for his ouster, and they still blame him for everything from a down season to cancer rates in Turkish prisons.

If the Texans don't take a QB, Clowney had better be everything he's been hyped up to be, and he'd better be that right from the start, or it'll get nasty down in Houston.

For O'Brien, this is setting up very similarly to what Pioli had to deal with in 2009. The available QBs (Sanchez, Freeman) weren't going to be franchise guys, but the fan base was so focused on getting the QB that nothing else was going to be acceptable. That put Pioli (and Cassel) behind the eight ball from day one in K.C. A large group of that fan base ended up getting together and paying for banners to be flown calling for his ouster, and they still blame him for everything from a down season to cancer rates in Turkish prisons.

If the Texans don't take a QB, Clowney had better be everything he's been hyped up to be, and he'd better be that right from the start, or it'll get nasty down in Houston.

Well everybody in Texas KILLED them for taking Mario Williams instead of Vince Young back in '06, I don't think you could find a single person on the planet, aside from Vince Young and maybe his mother, that would disagree with that selection now.

I'm not sold on any of the QBs coming out this year. I doubt I would take any of them in the first round, let alone at #1 overall. Now Clowney, he would have been #1 overall last year! I would not want to face a front 4 that includes Clowney and Watt.

That doesn't sound like someone who is thinking about trading Mallett.

As unthinkable as it may be at this point, we know BB isn't afraid to pull the trigger on replacing a franchise quarterback. After all, he's already done it twice.

I don't know that the cap allows them to cut or trade Brady before the 2015 season.

I consider Johnny Football to be draft fools gold, he should have stayed in school this year. I will be stunned if Bill O. uses the 1st overall on him.

I would also be stunned if he gives up #33 for Ryan Mallett. A third or 4th could be offered for him.

I think Bill O is too smart to use #1 overall on J.F'ball or #33 on Mallett.

...I'm not sold on any of the QBs coming out this year. I doubt I would take any of them in the first round, let alone at #1 overall. Now Clowney, he would have been #1 overall last year! I would not want to face a front 4 that includes Clowney and Watt.

I'm with you on this. I'm just remembering how QB situations have poisoned the well for BB coaching tree members.

BB (twice, once overcome)
Pioli
Crennel
McDaniels

With that history, I just don't know if BOB & Co. would take the risk, even if it's what they wanted.

I don't know that the cap allows them to cut or trade Brady before the 2015 season.

Don't think it'll happen anytime soon. I hope Brady has 2-3 more years left in him.

I think after 2015, the Pats will want a year by year contract (as far as guarantees/cap implications).

We will probably get a hint as to what the Pats long term vision is at quarterback when Mallett's contract is up after next season. He is already 25 so an expedited decision should be coming- shop him or play him.

When we finish the 2014, Brady's contract will be fully guaranteed. We'll be on the hook for all bonuses, even if he is traded. He could be traded, with the acquiring team just responsible for his salary.

There COULD BE a no-trade clause, but I don't think so.

from USA Today
"The salaries for the final three years of the pact — $7 million in 2015, followed by $8 million and $9 million — are guaranteed against injury. If Brady is on the roster for the final game of the 2014 season, the $24 million in salaries for the final three years will be guaranteed for skill, too."

Why are we talking about Brady and any possibility of not having him in the next couple/few years again?

The situation of Brady is being brought up due to the fact that Belichick has made moves on franchise QBs like Bernie Kosar and Drew Bledsoe, both who didn't really do what he wanted, and had somewhat proven, valued replacements waiting in the wings?

That doesn't sound anything like the current situation here, where we have zero "proven" QBs waiting in the wings (on any level whatsoever), nor does Brady have outrageous cap hits, or play/habits/thinking/attitude that Belichick would not approve of which were present in the other 2 examples of the past.

In an ideal world, if we wanted Brady's replacement to be a QB we draft and have one or 2 years of experience as a back up, then Brady's replacement is spending this week deciding what college he is going to attend. THAT's how far from now this decision is going to be made.

I believe that Mallett will be either gone this season or the next. I also believe that either Cassell or Hoyer is going to be available. And even if they aren't I think there are a number of veteran QB's who have enough starting experience to come here and do well enough to back up Brady, and play well enough to at least keep the team competitive for a few games. (Campbell, Shaub, etc) Or even at worst case, BB finds a QB at the end of the draft (Like Cassell), or even an UDFA (like Hoyer), who he can make a back up even his rookie year (like Hoyer)

The fact is that for the next 3 years, at least, Tom Brady is going to be the QB of the NE Patriots. So worrying about who will back him is best left to BB and his staff. He's done a good job of filling the position to date. Brady was there for Bledsoe. Cassell was there for Brady, and Hoyer/Mallett have been there for the last 5 seasons.

Would you rather have Mallett for just one year, leaving for nothing in free agency (except for a low comp pick), than have a second round pick for his entire rookie contract?

The time frame is important.

We do need a backup QB, but we have many more glaring needs in the near term, and I have no evidence to consider Mallett to be the long term heir-apparent at QB, even assuming he'd wait and also assuming that we'd overpay him for having the necessary patience.

Gee, you seem to think that Brady is immune to injury or loss of skill. You also think that you can whomp up some backup for less than 3 x Malletts salary in 2014. You also forget that BB has franchised QBs before when he did so with Cassell when his contract was expiring. You are also wrong if you think BB won't force the team to have QB depth when competing for a SB in 2014.

Four wrong assumptions in only a sentence or three.

Considering the fact that I was one who saw that Cassel was not the issue so many others saw, and that I was one of the few defending him, I think it's clear that you're correct to say I was in the minority.

That doesn't mean that I was wrong, obviously.

So was I. I could see BB rigging then lineup to test Cassell's Poise in the 2008 preseason. BB felt he needed to do so since Matt hadn't any college game experience to answer the question. I was vociferous in saying so, and mocked for it.

What passes for the media [non] intelligentsia, were busy pumping for some other guy who got cut and was never heard from again.

IMHO the nutty draftniks are so anxious to have another draft pick to play with that they would go into a season bereft of a a backup QB, whilw relying on a 37 year old to play all 16 games.

If you must have an equitable situation here is a trade that helps both sides. Mallett for Houstons's 1, 2, and 3 and we send them our 3 and 4. We have enough to fill our needs including trading a low pick for Hoyer or Cassell. Pats get Clowney, a TE, a WR and an OL with our four picks

I don't get the whole replacing Brady talk ... Did anyone notice Peyton this year, who happens to be a year older and was coming off of a major neck surgery, breaking all those records?

Draft gossip from Walter Football, FWIW:

1/24: "Still early but source beleves if its up to Bill O'Brien expect Blake Bortles/UCF at 1st pick or Zach Mettenberger/LSU at the top of rnd 2." - Tony Pauline

1/24: "Bortles is a stud," said the scout. "This guy may end up being the No. 1 overall pick. Big, tough, athletic, strong-armed, intelligent." - a scout to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch

1/24: "Bortles is also a Bill O’Brien type of passer and Houston is a franchise in desperate need of a signal caller. The owner would prefer Johnny Manziel." - Tony Pauline

2014 NFL Draft Rumors - WalterFootball.com

If you must have an equitable situation here is a trade that helps both sides. Mallett for Houstons's 1, 2, and 3 and we send them our 3 and 4. We have enough to fill our needs including trading a low pick for Hoyer or Cassell. Pats get Clowney, a TE, a WR and an OL with our four picks

DW Toys couldn't come up with that big of a fantasy trade-a-poloza.

So was I. I could see BB rigging then lineup to test Cassell's Poise in the 2008 preseason. BB felt he needed to do so since Matt hadn't any college game experience to answer the question. I was vociferous in saying so, and mocked for it.

What passes for the media [non] intelligentsia, were busy pumping for some other guy who got cut and was never heard from again.

IMHO the nutty draftniks are so anxious to have another draft pick to play with that they would go into a season bereft of a a backup QB, whilw relying on a 37 year old to play all 16 games.

Where's the "equitable" part of that trade? :confused4:

I don't get the whole replacing Brady talk ... Did anyone notice Peyton this year, who happens to be a year older and was coming off of a major neck surgery, breaking all those records?

And Manning physically is actually showing much more wear because of age and injuries than Brady. Manning can't even throw the ball down the field anymore. He has a legitimate deep threat in Demaryius Thomas yet he only completed 8-9 passes over 30 yards all season.

Now, by "both sides" you mean both sides of the Patriots, offense and defense right? Because there's no way in hell that helps Houston in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back