PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gil Brandt: Rumor - Mallet to Houston for their 2nd round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I favor the outcome of the Seymour trade the Patriots have had a significant need at DE since Richard Seymour. Chandler Jones looks a fine talent but he's no Seymour (and no, I don't use statistics to support this).

The Pats must beef up their DL this offseason. Actually, the Pats need to reinforce both lines if they're going to get over the January hump.

Pats hold onto Mallet only if they feel he is in line to take over as their franchise QB and if Brady goes down, they continue to have a legitimate chance to contend if he has to play for an extended period of time. Otherwise maximize his value now and build what you can while you still have Brady.

How much would Mallet cost (Houston or anyone else) in terms of salary. Seems like a big difference between grabbing him or someone you think comparable in the draft is that you'll cost-control the draft pick for few years.

That said, almost all QBs need at least a couple years to get comfortable enough to win big games (Wilson doesn't count because, like early Brady, he's playing behind a wall defense). I BOB thinks Mallet's time in the system is sufficient for him to take the snaps, it seems to me that Houston's better off going with Mallet IF they can cost control him with a reasonable 3-year deal.
He's already cheap this year, but will he really be much more expensive the year after, given his lack of meaningful snaps?

If I'm BOB, I'm looking long and hard at this (if BOB likes what he's seen of Mallet). He's seen the speed of the NFL for a couple of years now - if he's the type of QB you want, he's better for Houston NOW and NEXT YEAR, at least, than anyone they can get with the 33rd pick.

Still don't think it will happen.

As much as I favor the outcome of the Seymour trade the Patriots have had a significant need at DE since Richard Seymour. Chandler Jones looks a fine talent but he's no Seymour (and no, I don't use statistics to support this).

The Pats must beef up their DL this offseason. Actually, the Pats need to reinforce both lines if they're going to get over the January hump.

:eat2::ditto: they need to bolster the middle of both lines, VW is getting old and may not come back that same. And the need for a top flight center is just as great. Jones, Villano, and Siliga played well but i'm not sure i'd count on them fully.

I Know I am one talking in the wilderness, but I felt Cassell was the best QB in the 2008 preseason, and I turned out to be right.

I also feel that BB scored another QB coup, and is getting a First Round talent in Mallett for only a 3rd. He satisfied himself that the anonymous rumors that Mallett was a dope and a doper, were simply falacious. Mallett is now very close to being ready.

Ryan has proven as he matured, that he can and will study film and understand it. He has played well enough to win "black shirts" and earn a Premium "reserved parking" for his efforts.

Thanks for the kind comments.;);)

Did you actually write that with a straight face?

What did the Redskins give up for their beatup, franchise QB? My suggested price is actually cheap by comparison. Plus you wouldn't have a couple of losing seasons while he acclimated to the NFL. :snob:

Don't kid yourself. Mallett might be cheap for a year but then his salary will accelerate in any subsequent agreement, way over a rookie pick now.

But you won't suffer a losing season or two as your new QB acclimates to the NFL.

I Know I am one talking in the wilderness, but I felt Cassell was the best QB in the 2008 preseason, and I turned out to be right.

I also feel that BB scored another QB coup, and is getting a First Round talent in Mallett for only a 3rd. He satisfied himself that the anonymous rumors that Mallett was a dope and a doper, were simply falacious. Mallett is now very close to being ready.

Ryan has proven as he matured, that he can and will study film and understand it. He has played well enough to win "black shirts" and earn a Premium "reserved parking" for his efforts.

Thanks for the kind comments.;);)

I have been right there next to you since day 1.

As much **** as we give Sanchez, lets not forget that he was decent enough to take them to 2 AFCCG in his first two seasons. I think the Jets asked too much of him and he kind of just cracked but in don't think his career is completely shot. If he can go to a team with a decent supporting cast on offense and a coach who can develop QB's (ie the anti-rex) he can turn into a decent QB. Lets not forget Flacco won a superbowl.

Anyway we can get a "thumbs down" option to give posts that qualify?

Don't kid yourself. Mallett might be cheap for a year but then his salary will accelerate in any subsequent agreement, way over a rookie pick now.

But you won't suffer a losing season or two as your new QB acclimates to the NFL.

Mallett would certainly cost more in the long run than a rookie QB at #33. If you believe that Jimmy Garoppolo or Zack Mettenberger is the answer, that's a cheaper way to go. But they will almost certainly take time to develop. And if you compare the cost of Mallett with #33 - even with an extension, which can wait until you have a chance to see him in more detail - with using the #1 pick on Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgwater or Blake Bortles, it's not clear that Mallett will cost more. Cam Newton and Andrew Luck both got $22M with $14.5M signing bonuses as rookies. Even if he's wildly successful, Mallett isn't going to get a deal in the upper echelon right away after just 1 season.

If you're looking at a way of getting Clowney and a solid QB who gives you a chance to win, without breaking the bank, it's not necessarily unreasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes