PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gil Brandt: Rumor - Mallet to Houston for their 2nd round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of the 3 QBs, I like Blake Bortles best, but he's like Ryan Tannehill 2.0. Tedy Bridgewater is not the player people are making him out to be. He's much better than Geno Smith, but that's not saying much. He is not in the Russ Wilson, Kaepernick, even RG3 category. Manziel is a wild card in the Matt Stafford category. He is perhaps worth a gamble, but Clowney is on another level as a defender. He's a surefire terror.

if Brady get hurt ( knock on wood ) Mallet wont win more then 5 games as the starter so lets say a street QB wins 2 or 3 games so its the first pick in the Draft and not the 7th, he will be a FA next season anyways so if BOB is stupid a nuff to give up the first pick in the 2th round for him I would jump all over it,

his been in the NFL 3 years and has only 4 pass att and one is a INT. if he goes on to be a pro bowl QB in Houston I will be happy for him cause he will never play a meaningful down for the pats

Why do you assume that Mallett would win 5 if Cassell won 11 and was nowhere as talented or developed as Mallett?

Assuming a healthy Gronk and Amendola, Dobson, Thompkins Boyce, Vereen and draft pick(s), he would have a talented offense around him, and an improving defense.

I would much rather have Mallett than a second round pick.

Lets see, you have Mallet's old coordinator, and there is rumors he might have interest in him. Not sure why people think this is strange and not plausible. He saw him practice, plus he is still close with the Patriots and kept up with him.

Which is more of a gamble to Houston, Mallet or an unknown QB, which will take a high draft pick to get. Plus they have Mallet for a year at dirt cheap money. I would assume they would sign him to a multiple year contract that makes him easy to cut if he doesn't work out, but keeps him there, at reasonable money, if he does succeed.

Cassel was franchised and cost a huge amount of $$$ which was why the trade was smaller than it should have been.

So from Houston I can see making the trade. From the Patriots, at some point it isn't worth trading him. The pick you get has to be worth more than the cost of bringing someone in for the year you had Mallet under control. I would think a high second would easily be worth it, a third rounder, maybe, a 4th hmmm.

I think people here put way to much stock in college qb's, so many of them end up sucking. Here you have a somewhat known commodity, for not too much money and a second instead of a first.

So from Houston I can see making the trade. From the Patriots, at some point it isn't worth trading him. The pick you get has to be worth more than the cost of bringing someone in for the year you had Mallet under control. I would think a high second would easily be worth it, a third rounder, maybe, a 4th hmmm.
2.1, I would add a little something. Although from Houston's standpoint I'd prefer to get Mallett for 2.1 than Bortles or Bridgewater for 1.1.

3.1 I would want something added.

4.1 not a chance in hell.

Any deal for their 2nd rounder would involve Mallet and like, our 2nd rounder.

The thing with Manziel is that he is tiny. A couple of hits in the NFL and he will be done. They will call him RGIV.

No one saw Wilson or Kaepernick as top flight QBs.

Would you rather have Mallett for just one year, leaving for nothing in free agency (except for a low comp pick), than have a second round pick for his entire rookie contract?

The time frame is important.

We do need a backup QB, but we have many more glaring needs in the near term, and I have no evidence to consider Mallett to be the long term heir-apparent at QB, even assuming he'd wait and also assuming that we'd overpay him for having the necessary patience.

Why do you assume that Mallett would win 5 if Cassell won 11 and was nowhere as talented or developed as Mallett?

Assuming a healthy Gronk and Amendola, Dobson, Thompkins Boyce, Vereen and draft pick(s), he would have a talented offense around him, and an improving defense.

Cassell went on to have an even better season at KC where he made the Pro Bowl. Mallet hasn't shown he could have a Pro bowl season in the NFL, and we don't know if he could do what Cassell did.

Beyond that, Cassell was throwing to Moss, Welker and company.

Mallet would not have that luxury at all. That was a team that went 18-1 the previous year, very different than this year's Patriots team.

My guess is that there is a real possibility that O'Brien will try to trade for Mallett. I still think the 33rd pick in the draft is too high, but Belichick knows how O'Brien really feels about Mallett. If Belichick knows O'Brien feels that Mallett can be a top QB in the league, it gives him leverage in negotiations.

So even if Mallett's value on the open market is lower, the fact that O'Brien feels that Mallett makes the Texans a legitimate contender (assuming that is true and Belichick knows that) throws his market value out the window in negotiations.

If you assume that Mallet's value is that of a mid 2nd rounder to O'Brien (somewhat inflated IMO),

an equitable trade (by the points tables) would be

Mallett + our low 3rd rounder + our low 4th rounder

for their high 2nd rounder (#33).

That seems like an un-Belichick trade though, 3 for 1.

My guess is that there is a real possibility that O'Brien will try to trade for Mallett. I still think the 33rd pick in the draft is too high, but Belichick knows how O'Brien really feels about Mallett. If Belichick knows O'Brien feels that Mallett can be a top QB in the league, it gives him leverage in negotiations.

So even if Mallett's value on the open market is lower, the fact that O'Brien feels that Mallett makes the Texans a legitimate contender (assuming that is true and Belichick knows that) throws his market value out the window in negotiations.

It all depends on how much Houston likes Clowney vs. the other QBs. If they love Bortles, Bridgwater or Manziel, they will probably go that way, possibly with a slight trade back depending on their target and interest from other teams. But if they really like Clowney and want a QB with their #33 pick, here's the options:

- Hope Derek Carr slips a bit and trade up for him. Unlikely, and memories of the David Carr regime may make that hard to swallow.
- Reach for a QB in the 2nd round. Jimmy Garoppolo would be a huge stretch. Zack Mettenberger is also a reach, and is coming off an ACL injury.
- Trade for someone. Who? Ryan Mallett and Kirk Cousins are really the only 2 options right now. Bill O'Brien knows Mallett, who was rated much higher than Cousins coming out.

The UFA class is empty. Michael Vick?

Likely? Probably not. Impossible? No.

There were reports in 2007 that Green Bay was willing to trade Aaron Rodgers to Oakland for Randy Moss. Rodgers had 31 pass attempts in his first 2 years. Imagine how things would have worked out if that one had actually happened.

If you can get the #33 for Mallett you take it and find a veteran back-up QB on the free agent market. Brady is playing another 3-4 seasons so Mallett is leaving one way or another and getting what is pretty much a first round pick for him is as good as it gets. The Patriots aren't winning the Super Bowl without Brady anyways so i don't care if it is Cassel or Hoyer or a 4th round pick etc... backing him up. Mallett was always meant to be a chip and now is the time to play it. They can address three or more needs in the first 2 rounds of the draft if they get that pick and that is the optimal situation.

If it seems too good to be true........

Cassell went on to have an even better season at KC where he made the Pro Bowl. Mallet hasn't shown he could have a Pro bowl season in the NFL, and we don't know if he could do what Cassell did.

Beyond that, Cassell was throwing to Moss, Welker and company.

Mallet would not have that luxury at all. That was a team that went 18-1 the previous year, very different than this year's Patriots team.

Mallett is in many respects an unknown. He has at times been inaccurate in the preseason, but has shown very impressive arm strength and poise, and looks comfortable running the team. It is not really a strike against him that "he hasn't shown he could have a pro bowl season". He hasn't really played. Cassell had not shown that ability either when he took over as starter.

We're talking about Mallett next year, not this year with the depleted roster. Assuming a good draft and better injury luck, why couldn't this team go 14-2 or 15-1 next year?

And you mentioned Moss and Welker, but beyond that? Donta Stallworth, Laurence Maroney and an aged Kevin Faulk? As the Giants showed, take away Moss and there wasn't much left. I think we saw the potential of a healthy Gronk and contributing Dobson and Amendola in the Pittsburgh game, and it is quite high. Don't forget our running game is much better than in 2007.

It all depends on how much Houston likes Clowney vs. the other QBs. If they love Bortles, Bridgwater or Manziel, they will probably go that way, possibly with a slight trade back depending on their target and interest from other teams. But if they really like Clowney and want a QB with their #33 pick, here's the options:

- Hope Derek Carr slips a bit and trade up for him. Unlikely, and memories of the David Carr regime may make that hard to swallow.
- Reach for a QB in the 2nd round. Jimmy Garoppolo would be a huge stretch. Zack Mettenberger is also a reach, and is coming off an ACL injury.
- Trade for someone. Who? Ryan Mallett and Kirk Cousins are really the only 2 options right now. Bill O'Brien knows Mallett, who was rated much higher than Cousins coming out.

The UFA class is empty. Michael Vick?

Likely? Probably not. Impossible? No.

There were reports in 2007 that Green Bay was willing to trade Aaron Rodgers to Oakland for Randy Moss. Rodgers had 31 pass attempts in his first 2 years. Imagine how things would have worked out if that one had actually happened.

Houston is not the classic rebuild that most team's picking first are so taking a young QB who has spent 3 years learning the system you run is an ideal use of their 2nd round pick as they get the familiarity, the experience as a pro, and a guy who can step in tomorrow and start playing. If they go with any rookie then they are looking at at least a couple of seasons of grooming before reaping the real rewards.

Trading the 2nd frees them to take Clowney, and I have no doubt they would love to add him to their pass rush.

Micheal Vick can't run this system so I would pass.

Green Bay was in a different position because Favre was at the end and Rodgers the successor, Mallett is never going to be the successor because Brady is too far from the end for it to happen.

Mallett is in many respects an unknown. He has at times been inaccurate in the preseason, but has shown very impressive arm strength and poise, and looks comfortable running the team. It is not really a strike against him that "he hasn't shown he could have a pro bowl season". He hasn't really played. Cassell had not shown that ability either when he took over as starter.

We're talking about Mallett next year, not this year with the depleted roster. Assuming a good draft and better injury luck, why couldn't this team go 14-2 or 15-1 next year?

And you mentioned Moss and Welker, but beyond that? Donta Stallworth, Laurence Maroney and an aged Kevin Faulk? As the Giants showed, take away Moss and there wasn't much left. I think we saw the potential of a healthy Gronk and contributing Dobson and Amendola in the Pittsburgh game, and it is quite high. Don't forget our running game is much better than in 2007.

I mentioned Cassell's Pro Bowl season later because I was making the point that he wasn't your average backup, and Moss had a really good year with Cassell. He played at an extremely high level that year. Remember the catch in the Jets game?

I don't think the Patriots offense this year had nearly the weaponry of that even with a healthy Gronk.

Schaub and Keenum aren't the answer for Houston. From their perspective, do you take a chance on a QB high such as Bortles, Bridgewater or Manziel and miss out on pairing Jadeveon Clowney with J.J. Watt or do you trade the second for Mallett and pair Clowney with Watt?

I'm not particularly high on this year's QB crop. Mallett probably has as many question marks as the prospects but has the added benefit of NFL exposure in a system O'Brien is likely to install.

If it were me, I probably chance the second round pick on Mallett and put Clowney on the line with Watt. At worst, you're going to have a line that is going to terrorise the NFL for the next 10 years and you have a Quarterback who is something of a known commodity to you.

1 - What makes you think Clowney is any more of a "sure thing" than any of the top QBs in this draft class? Clowney has plenty of questions marks too.

2 - As others have said. The idea that BB would trade our only backup QB without a replacement already in the system and showing promise seems, to me, highly unlikely. The guy sweats the smallest details and a viable backup QB is much bigger than a "small detail".

3 - The idea of any team giving up #33 overall for Mallet is difficult to fathom. And I'm phrasing that as nicely as I can. Mallett's only played a handful of times during game conditions. Cassel played 1st string for almost an entire 11-5) year, and only got us a 2nd because we threw Mike Vrabel into the deal.

If BO'B did it I'm not sure he'd make it past the first year coaching unless he instantly (as in a few games) turned that team around. Rookie QBs, even very highly picked ones, get at least a season leeway. A vet QB who cost almost a 1st & a much heftier contract than a rookie, and supposedly knows the system, better be lighting it up immediately.

Would you rather have Mallett for just one year, leaving for nothing in free agency (except for a low comp pick), than have a second round pick for his entire rookie contract?

The time frame is important.

We do need a backup QB, but we have many more glaring needs in the near term, and I have no evidence to consider Mallett to be the long term heir-apparent at QB, even assuming he'd wait and also assuming that we'd overpay him for having the necessary patience.

Of course, if the plan is to let him go, they would happily take a second.

If they think he is the heir apparent, maybe they could work out a way to keep them both. Maybe not. I think those that say we have know nothing about Mallett are putting their head in the sand a little bit. We don't know much, but we know he has NFL starting caliber talent, we know they have not traded him yet, all reports are that he is progressing and that the staff views him favorably. IMO, he struggled a bit with accuracy in the preseason, but he also made some nice throws. And his decision making and poise were miles ahead of where Cassell was at a similar time. Cassell looked like a complete disaster in the preseason.

This discussion is going on nicely, good points in both sides.

I think it's pretty much a common sense that Houston is one top QB away from being a playoff team with deep ambitions. The question is, who is this QB? Is he on the next draft class, is he in the FA? Not so sure. Maybe for them it's not time for committing 4 years with a QB that it's not a no brainer, look the Sam Bustford example. I don't doubt BOB inherits something from BB and tries to outthink the league and draft no Clowney and no Bridgewater. With the #1 and #33 you can make a splash, draft 2 studs, trade down and stockpile picks, still have a good draft and wait to go for a QB in other moment, the list for UFA QBs in 2015 is better than 2014.

» Over the Cap- 2015 NFL Free Agent Quarterbacks

On the other hand no fan base is that patience in regard to having a good team and sucking at QB, and with the 1st pick in every round, the sentiment should be that something needs to be done.

Is it just me or does Blount run faster than this guy? Allen seems to have Devin Hester like talent when it comes to avoiding tackles.

Well, at least we know he's faster than the guys chasing him. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News