PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gil Brandt: Rumor - Mallet to Houston for their 2nd round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand not wanting to trade Mallett because of the hole it would leave at backup QB, but would the backup need to run the exact same system as TB12? Couldn't we have a backup with a dulled down playbook with some similar concepts as Brady? A lot of the backups around the league are very different to the starter on their team and have some different concepts if they are forced into action. Why couldn't the Pats have a much more simplified playbook for a backup QB that is much easier to learn and execute. Realistically we are screwed anyway if Brady goes down for an extended period of time, so we just need a guy that can come in a win a few games if necessary, not carry a team.

On whether anyone would trade a 2nd for Mallett, Houston would be the only ones that could do it because Bill O'Brien is familiar with him (unless McDaniels does end up getting the Cleveland job which I still wont rule out). What it would all come down to is how does O'Brien view Mallett, how does he view the top QB's in the draft and how does he view the top non QB (Clowney). None of the QB's in this draft are sure things and although I like Bridgewater I know there are a lot of people that have doubts about him. Bortles has huge upside but is also a huge risk and I don't see Manziel a fit for Bill O'Brien. If he isn't comfortable taking a QB #1 overall then you have to look Ryan Mallett vs the QB's in the 2nd round and beyond and I think Mallett looks quite favorable.

Personally I think taking Clowney #1 and trading #33 for Mallett would be a good idea. Obviously cap implications also have to be taken into account but when it comes to a starting QB I don't think it will be a huge issue.

Like I said earlier it will all come down to three things:
1. How does O'Brien view Mallett?
2. How does O'Brien view the QB's in the Draft?
3. How does O'Brien view Clowney?

Is it just me or does Blount run faster than this guy? Allen seems to have Devin Hester like talent when it comes to avoiding tackles.

dude is a deep threat and he goes up strong for the ball.

That would be sweet. Not sure I buy it though. The Texans are not that far away. They've got major talent on both sides of the ball and have the number 1 pick in the draft. They're in a position to get themselves a franchise QB. I get the Billy OB/Patriots connection but why Ryan Mallett?? How has Mallett proven he's a potential top flight NFL QB and why would Billy OB take such a big gamble when he doesn't have to???
Do hope it happens. This Patriot team has some major needs.

I would do this trade in a minute even for their 3rd round pick which is more reasonable if is the case that BOB doesn't trust the top 5 QB's on 2014 NFL draft.

He would be able to draft 2 studs with the first 2 picks or trading down the #33 for a 2nd and 3rd round picks and get a QB that fits his system for a modest price that would not set them back if doesn't work.

Anyway, let's hope he does the insanity of getting Mallet for the #33 so we can draft a super special teamer :rocker:

I would do this trade in a minute even for their 3rd round pick which is more reasonable if is the case that BOB doesn't trust the top 5 QB's on 2014 NFL draft.

He would be able to draft 2 studs with the first 2 picks or trading down the #33 for a 2nd and 3rd round picks and get a QB that fits his system for a modest price that would not set them back if doesn't work.

Anyway, let's hope he does the insanity of getting Mallet for the #33 so we can draft a super special teamer :rocker:

Unless he's drafting AJ Mccarron from Alabama, I don't know who else you might be talking about. As far as I know, Alabama is the only other college running a system similar to New England's. Sure there are skilled players out there in the college ranks, but the Patriots have a very complex playbook with some specific terminology. They require players with as much mental ability as athletic ability to blossom and grow up here.

As to trading Mallett, it's damned foolish. Who else is available, right now, to step in and develop a bond with Brady, and learn this system? What other QB available right now would be as good as Mallett? There isn't one. That's telling on several levels.

To my mind, New England will be likely to look at drafting the future TB replacement in the next three years. They'll want time for him to develop, to learn the system, and not have to be thrown to the wolves the first season. That's why Mallett is important here as Brady's backup. He knows the system and can be plugged in if, Heaven Forbid, TFB goes down again.

The only scenario where trading Mallett right now makes any sense to me is if Brady has told Coach Belichick that he's contemplating retirement and the Patriots need a top-flight rookie right now. Otherwise, there's no rush. Mallett might be considered trade bait but he's more valuable to the team as insurance until they can draft someone else and get him up to speed.

V/R

I don't buy it, but I will buy Mallet a plane ticket to Houston for the 33rd pick in the draft.

Hell, I would trade Mallett and the Pats' second or third for Houston's second. It would still make Mallett's trade value around a low second round pick at worst.

If you look at the trade value draft chart (yeah, I know they aren't exactly accurate). The 33rd pick has a value of 580. The Pats will have the 61st pick with a value of 292. That would make Mallett in my trade scenario of 288 which is slightly more than the 62nd pick.

Even then, I won't be holding my breath for this to happen.

Not saying Mallet is the answer but Brady only has 2 or 3 seasons left max. At some point BB has to starting preparing for that and grab a QB.

As for the trade: Sound good to me but BB will end up trading the pick for two sixth round picks in next years draft.

This sounds like the trade that brought Schaub, a 3rd round pick and then Vick's backup boy, to the Texans. Schaub actually threw a few passes for the Falcons before he left due to Vick's tendency to miss a few games. Not the case with Mallet.

With rookie salaries as they are, that trade, which never really worked out for the Texans, would make less sense today. I expect the Texans, of all teams, would be the least likely to repeat this after Schaub. Schaub failed in the big games because he was limited, and it was those limitations that made him a backup in the first place.

Mallet is worth more to the Pats as insurance than he is to any other team. I fully expect him to slide quietly into free agency. He may even return after testing the market.

How about Mallett and our first for Clowney and get a decent pass rush.

Unless he's drafting AJ Mccarron from Alabama, I don't know who else you might be talking about. As far as I know, Alabama is the only other college running a system similar to New England's. Sure there are skilled players out there in the college ranks, but the Patriots have a very complex playbook with some specific terminology. They require players with as much mental ability as athletic ability to blossom and grow up here.

As to trading Mallett, it's damned foolish. Who else is available, right now, to step in and develop a bond with Brady, and learn this system? What other QB available right now would be as good as Mallett? There isn't one. That's telling on several levels.

To my mind, New England will be likely to look at drafting the future TB replacement in the next three years. They'll want time for him to develop, to learn the system, and not have to be thrown to the wolves the first season. That's why Mallett is important here as Brady's backup. He knows the system and can be plugged in if, Heaven Forbid, TFB goes down again.

The only scenario where trading Mallett right now makes any sense to me is if Brady has told Coach Belichick that he's contemplating retirement and the Patriots need a top-flight rookie right now. Otherwise, there's no rush. Mallett might be considered trade bait but he's more valuable to the team as insurance until they can draft someone else and get him up to speed.

V/R

1 year and Mallet will leave anyway so I take the risk for one season, it's not like we are talking about a guy to be the backup for the next 3/4 years stepping up in an emergency, this dude will be drafted in next May, Mallet already did this job. Either that or there will be a band-aid veteran QB for a season if Mallet goes in a trade.

I know BB doesn't work with the concept of window but TB has 3 years left tops and I think in this case we need to rush things a little bit, he deserves for everything he gave to this franchise , fan base and even for BB.

I didn't understand very well your question about McCarron, I was talking about Mallet being the modest 3rd round pick QB for the Texans. I doubt they will trade the #33 for Mallet. I can see 2 more reasonable scenarios:

- Draft with #1 and #33 and trade Mallet for the #65

- Trade down the #33 for a 2nd and 3rd round pick, this way they can trade a 3rd round pick and still be on the line in the 2nd and 3rd round and depending on who they have on their board it worth the risk, it's a deep draft in many positions. This way they not necessarily need to use the #65 for the trade, it could be something in the 80's which I still think is worth.

How about Mallett and our first for Clowney and get a decent pass rush.

If you go by the unofficial draft value chart, the 33rd pick is worth 580 points. If we're assuming that is the value Houston has put on Mallett, he would fall about 1800 points short of the value needed to trade up from 29 to 1 (Do the Pats have 29? or 30? I forget).

As for the trade itself here, I didn't read the article, so I won't comment on the validity of said rumor. But if Houston wants to give us 33 for Mallett, sign me up. If nothing else, it gives us another spot near the first round that can be traded up if there's a player we like (ala Jones and Hightower two years ago).

That would be sweet. Not sure I buy it though. The Texans are not that far away. They've got major talent on both sides of the ball and have the number 1 pick in the draft. They're in a position to get themselves a franchise QB. I get the Billy OB/Patriots connection but why Ryan Mallett?? How has Mallett proven he's a potential top flight NFL QB and why would Billy OB take such a big gamble when he doesn't have to???
Do hope it happens. This Patriot team has some major needs.

The big reason is that they may not feel comfortable with any of the QBs, and with Clowney on one side and Watt on the other, you've just created a huge problem for your opposition. The big weakness is DBs for Houston. How well can you address your weakness when you have two ends creating havoc, and an occasional blitzer in their really good linebackers?

The 33rd pick for Mallet is way too high for him though, and I'd expect the Patriots to trade something back to them if that happened. Give them Mallet and Vrabel for the 33rd.

I doubt it. Clowney tanked this season to look after his body for the NFL. If anything, I'd be more concerned with his motivation. That said, it depends on the scheme they plan on running. Watt is going to demand the double teams leaving Clowney with favorable match up opportunities on the edge. That would be scary if he reaches the heights people expect.

Given that, just imagine how he'll save himself for his NFL contract year

We don't need another WR to overthrow the ball to. Edelperson & Slater fill that role.

I take it this is sarcasm, but too many Patriot fans actually believe this stuff. If Slater was someone else, that's a 50 yard completion right there.

The big reason is that they may not feel comfortable with any of the QBs, and with Clowney on one side and Watt on the other, you've just created a huge problem for your opposition. The big weakness is DBs for Houston. How well can you address your weakness when you have two ends creating havoc, and an occasional blitzer in their really good linebackers?

The 33rd pick for Mallet is way too high for him though, and I'd expect the Patriots to trade something back to them if that happened. Give them Mallet and Vrabel for the 33rd.

That is the great debate. Do they go with Clowney or take a shot at a franchise QB. I say 'take a shot' because even though you just never know how these kids pan out once they're in the NFL it's a QB league and a chance at getting a franchise QB doesn't come along very often. The risk is there though. Look no further than the Jeff George vs Tom Brady example.
If the Patriots can get a 2nd or 3rd for Mallett they should jump at the chance. Barring major injury Tom Brady is going to play well into his 40's so Mallett has no future here.

I take it this is sarcasm, but too many Patriot fans actually believe this stuff. If Slater was someone else, that's a 50 yard completion right there.

Yes it was sarcasm. And frustration.

So this isn't really a rumor just an observation by Gil Brandt?

So this isn't really a rumor just an observation by Gil Brandt?
Yep.

Brandt saying "I could see Texans trying to trade w Patriots for Mallett"

turns into a made up line of "According to NFL insider Gil Brandt, the Texans are reportedly trying to pull off a trade with the Patriots"

which turns into a headline of "Blockbuster Deal Between Houston Texans, New England Patriots Could Happen"

which ends up on the patsfans.com message board as "Fresh Rumor - Mallet to Houston for their 2nd round pick."

A little assumption, or misunderstanding, or journalistic "excitement" at each step takes us from Brandt "being able to see it" to a "Fresh Rumor".

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes