PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Get Paid"

Status
Not open for further replies.
who cares?

the guy is a free agent trying to navigate a system that is currently screwing him. he'd be stupid to just roll over and accept whatever NE offers him. It's a business, and he's doing what he needs to do to get paid what he can.

besides, all that has happened so far is talk. as long as he plays none of this means anything.

as for marquise's funeral, there's a lot of speculation going around and none of us know the details. for all we know he went there on his own. for all we know he had something else going on that was more important. for all we know asante has a personal issue with funerals and doesn't go to them. for all we know he hated marquise and resented the thought of having to fly to his funeral because marquise was too stupid to wear a life preserver.

basically, get over yourself. you're ill-informed and irrational, and only making yourself look like an idiot.

who cares?

the guy is a free agent trying to navigate a system that is currently screwing him. he'd be stupid to just roll over and accept whatever NE offers him. It's a business, and he's doing what he needs to do to get paid what he can.

besides, all that has happened so far is talk. as long as he plays none of this means anything.

as for marquise's funeral, there's a lot of speculation going around and none of us know the details. for all we know he went there on his own. for all we know he had something else going on that was more important. for all we know asante has a personal issue with funerals and doesn't go to them. for all we know he hated marquise and resented the thought of having to fly to his funeral because marquise was too stupid to wear a life preserver.

basically, get over yourself. you're ill-informed and irrational, and only making yourself look like an idiot.

When did making more money than all but 2 or 3 other cornerbacks in the NFL somehow become getting screwed? According to the Boston Globe, in 2005, the average American salary was $40,409. Samuel will see $7 million plus in one season under the tag. That's more than the average American will make in 173 years at that 2005 level.

If that's getting screwed, it's a really nice screwing, and I'd like to get in on that action.

who cares?

Who are you to call me irrational an ill-informed? Why are you people sticking up for this guy man?

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1004881

Read the article for christ's sake...He was NOT at the Funeral. Maybe, though probably unlikely, he went directly to Marquise Hill's family house to pay his condolences. Come to think of it, Maybe it was Asante who robbed Marquise's home. I mean, the guy needs to "Get Paid" obviously. You're right we just don't know. It's not a big deal but with this on top of demanding to be paid as the greatest CB in the leauge, I just can't understand why more pats fans are outraged. It is eerily similar to the Branch situation last year and I would be shocked if either side budged, ticketing his way out of New England very fast. As a patriot fan you should know that we do not deal with egos at all. I think we'll be fine without him, however as a fan, I just don't like seeing things like this so I thought I would hear some opinions man...Geeez

Who are you to call me irrational an ill-informed? Why are you people sticking up for this guy man?

Read the article for christ's sake...He was NOT at the Funeral. Maybe, though probably unlikely, he went directly to Marquise Hill's family house to pay his condolences. Come to think of it, Maybe it was Asante who robbed Marquise's home. I mean, the guy needs to "Get Paid" obviously. You're right we just don't know. It's not a big deal but with this on top of demanding to be paid as the greatest CB in the leauge, I just can't understand why more pats fans are outraged. It is eerily similar to the Branch situation last year and I would be shocked if either side budged, ticketing his way out of New England very fast. As a patriot fan you should know that we do not deal with egos at all. I think we'll be fine without him, however as a fan, I just don't like seeing things like this so I thought I would hear some opinions man...Geeez

I am not sure which outrage you are speaking of, but I would not be outraged as to how he handles Marquise Hill's death as that is none of my or your business, and the Branch situation was different than this because Branch was under contract, Samuel is not.

Actually we DO know that he didn't go with the team to MH's funeral. As you pointed out, he may have gone on his own, but this is something WE DON'T KNOW and what reason has Asante given us to think he did do something on his own? I'm betting there were team members there that weren't under contract like Asante such as RFAs, retired players, or former college players.

How to take one sentence of a post and completely use it out of context.

Why don't you get a complete list of players who made the trip and match it up againts all the players currently on the team. Then get a roster of all the players who were on the team during MH tenure with the Patriots and find out if all of them went.

Here is a couple of starters. Did Branch go? Did Willie Mac go? Did Adam V go? If we are going to start throwing stones lets get them all.

I am not defending Samuel if he did not do anything to show his respects to the MH family. I even said that he should be taken into the woodshed if he did nothing.

Because he is currently in a contract dispute with the Patriots makes the guy a target for trashing with many of you guys and that is just wrong.

When did making more money than all but 2 or 3 other cornerbacks in the NFL somehow become getting screwed? According to the Boston Globe, in 2005, the average American salary was $40,409. Samuel will see $7 million plus in one season under the tag. That's more than the average American will make in 173 years at that 2005 level.

If that's getting screwed, it's a really nice screwing, and I'd like to get in on that action.

It is a really nice screwing. It is a better screwing than any of the rest of us will ever get. I'd give a lot to be screwed the way Asante is. This isn't about you or I though, this is about the NFL.

Within context of the NFL he is getting screwed. He agreed to a contract when he was drafted. He played out that contract. Now a crappy rule is preventing him from shopping his skills in the way that almost every other player is allowed.

The franchise tag punishes you for being the best free agent on your team. The best thing to happen to Dan Graham was Asante emerging as a star player last year. If that hadn't happened he'd be making around $4M for 1 year. Instead he's making $30M over 5 with $15M guaranteed.

There is no reason for Asante to say "who cares how much my peers make, I should just be happy to make a boatload more than the average joe" and accept a lesser deal from NE. That wouldn't even be part of the discussion if not for him being screwed by the franchise tag.

I'm not a huge fan of Asante. I don't want NE to pay him like a top CB after one great year. I'd prefer he play under the tag for a year and then for them to offer him the big bucks if he proves his worth, or for them to trade him if playing the year out won't happen.

This doesn't prevent me from putting myself in his shoes, though, and understand that he's being screwed.

*edit* By the way, how brilliant would it be for the NFL and the Union to agree to drop the franchise tag in exchange for a rookie salary scale. Each side gets something, and the only holdouts/posturing will be from players currently under contract like Deion last year. And even then it's harder for a player to claim he was screwed in his initial deal if it's the same deal every rookie gets.

Last edited:
who cares?

Can the system screw me to the tune of $7.79 million? The system isn't screwing him. He might not make what he can make on the open market, but he is making a very good salary this upcoming season if he signs the tender offer. Samuel will only lose by signing the tender offer if he gets injured or his play falls off quite a bit.

Are you really going to tell me if he has another 6 or 7 INT season that he won't get the same contract next year that he would have gotten this year? Plus he gets nearly $8 million from this year. Odds are he will get an even better contract next year because the cap will go up next year.

So the Pats may end up doing Samuel a favor by franchising him. He can get something like $20 million guaranteed on the open market now, but he might get $22 next year in guarantees plus $8 million he pocketed this year. Both Orlando Pace and Walter Jones made far more money playing under their franchise tags for a couple of years before getting their big deals than if their respective teams caved in right away and gave them what they wanted.

Your outrage and "maybe it was Asante who robbed Marquise's home" comment prove me correct in calling you irrational, and our lack of knowledge of the entire situation covers "ill-informed." Oh, and your dream world where NE players don't have egos reinforces my perceptions.

And this isn't very similar to Branch last year. Branch refused to play out his contract, whereas Asante played his out without a peep. Also all that Deion had to lose by not playing last year was $1M, whereas Asante is looking at turning down $8M if he sits.

who cares?

for all we know he hated marquise and resented the thought of having to fly to his funeral because marquise was too stupid to wear a life preserver.

At least im not insensitive

your dream world where NE players don't have egos reinforces my perceptions.

Last time I checked players with egos like Asante are cut right away. Remember a guy name Lawyer Milloy, our defensive capitan at the time, was CUT, not traded, CUT before week 1 because of a bloated ego? What about Ty Law? Law felt like he deserved top money as well, (which he migh have) but regardless, was sent packing. Damien Woody? Joe Andruzzi? We DONT put up with that in Foxboro. Why do you think the media was making such a fuss about Randy Moss? Because we usually don't put up with players like that, players like Asante....

At least im not insensitive

sorry about that. that's the reason why I avoided posting about Hill's death when it happened. I just can't muster much sympathy when people succeed at natural selection.

Last time I checked players with egos like Asante are cut right away. Remember a guy name Lawyer Milloy, our defensive capitan at the time, was CUT, not traded, CUT before week 1 because of a bloated ego? What about Ty Law? Law felt like he deserved top money as well, (which he migh have) but regardless, was sent packing. Damien Woody? Joe Andruzzi? We DONT put up with that in Foxboro. Why do you think the media was making such a fuss about Randy Moss? Because we usually don't put up with players like that, players like Asante....

Wow, those are some truly awful examples.

NE had no problem with Milloy's ego when his performance matched his play. Only when his performance declined and he refused a pay cut was he cut.

As for Law, they didn't have an issue with his ego in '01, '03, and '04. If I remember correctly they even paid him something like $10M in '04, a dummy year that had been built in his contract and they had never intended to pay. They hated his ego so much they cut him a year later than his contract was designed for.

Woody and Andruzzi were free agent defections who left for more money than NE would pay them. Nothing fishy there.

The media was making such a big deal about Randy Moss because the media contrived this whole "no ego" persona in the first place.

Because he is currently in a contract dispute with the Patriots makes the guy a target for trashing with many of you guys and that is just wrong.
Again..that he is in a dispute is NOT the issue...that he has chosen to make statements and such..that is HIS choice to and it is totally RIGHT for those who think those statements are dumb to reply to them. What a player does and says HAS an outcome..and fans reacting to his foolish statements is quite alright..hardly wrong. If AS had kept quiet about it who would be tossing bricks at him?? IF he stayed out of camp..that's an action and again certainly within criticism..but he has chosen to air the dispute. I think he needs to know what fans think of what HE is saying.
Branch said little, but his actions and mouth piece agent did the talking and again, fans were critical of that..rightly so.

Again..that he is in a dispute is NOT the issue...that he has chosen to make statements and such..that is HIS choice to and it is totally RIGHT for those who think those statements are dumb to reply to them. What a player does and says HAS an outcome..and fans reacting to his foolish statements is quite alright..hardly wrong. If AS had kept quiet about it who would be tossing bricks at him?? IF he stayed out of camp..that's an action and again certainly within criticism..but he has chosen to air the dispute. I think he needs to know what fans think of what HE is saying.
Branch said little, but his actions and mouth piece agent did the talking and again, fans were critical of that..rightly so.

I agree on that point, he should STFU and handle his business in a business like manner. And if he chooses to stay out until the 10th game, I'll be right there saying we should get rid of him.

What I am referring to is that because he is in a contract dispute with
the Patriots, many feel that they have the green light to trash the guy personally on the MH funeral situation, without knowing the complete story.

If he wasn't in a contract dispute and missed the funeral for some reason, there would hardly be a peep about it.

Wow, those are some truly awful examples.

NE had no problem with Milloy's ego when his performance matched his play. Only when his performance declined and he refused a pay cut was he cut.

As for Law, they didn't have an issue with his ego in '01, '03, and '04. If I remember correctly they even paid him something like $10M in '04, a dummy year that had been built in his contract and they had never intended to pay. They hated his ego so much they cut him a year later than his contract was designed for.

Woody and Andruzzi were free agent defections who left for more money than NE would pay them. Nothing fishy there.

The media was making such a big deal about Randy Moss because the media contrived this whole "no ego" persona in the first place.

While you blame these situations on normal things like :normal free agency moves,declining performance,contract disputes, I call it New England not wanting to deal with bloated egos. You have your opinion and I have mine. You seem to take no risk by your opinion, spoken like a true diplomat, like that Ask PFW guy who answers every question exactly the same. We're both Patriot fans. However, I am willing to bet that Asante will no longer be a Patriot come Week 1 and you'd be naive to think it had nothing to do with Asante's ego.

If he wasn't in a contract dispute and missed the funeral for some reason, there would hardly be a peep about it.

I agree totally...I was just trying to make a point about the patriots and how they are more team oriented than most NFL teams.

IWhat I am referring to is that because he is in a contract dispute with the Patriots, many feel that they have the green light to trash the guy personally on the MH funeral situation, without knowing the complete story.
I think this is an unfortunate situation..he wanted the attention and spotlight and it does mean that he is open for criticism of all kinds..including whether he was at the funeral or not.
No spotlight..and I agree no peep..no one caring. Once you wish for that though, it will be there no matter what... I wonder why he or his agent did not issue a statement?? One would think PR people would be all over that..but?? Either he does not think it important or doesn't care or? Athletes wish to use the media..but sometimes get bitten by it all. Not the best way to handle things..but one can not pick and choose situations..

If you are so pissed off at Asante than impress us and make us believe you truly are by changing your forum name to ... Asante4sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes