PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gary Mayers troll piece on Belichick: "I can make a strong case he’s overrated and living off Brady"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember back when this dynasty began with the Patriots beating The Greatest Show On Turf? BB would be more responsible for winning that Superbowl and the next two.

Sunday Morning QB: How about Eli Manning just calls the plays?

Gary Myers is wrong about many things in this piece (notably Belichick's approach to dealing with off-field controversies and players with character issues). To spare you from having to click on it, here's a brief segment

C0Ccj9mUQAArDN9.jpg

Self-righteousness aside, if you wanna discuss the merit of his football analysis, no comment is as egregious or ignorant as the notion that Belichick is riding on Brady's excellence.

Not only does he have a solid winning record in NE in games without Brady (13-6 or .684) but time and time again, he has demonstrated a mastery of personnel decisions while displaying an ability to adjust and outscheme any opponent.

If you want to find a nice example, just compare Belichick's record with Brady's against the Broncos. While Brady is the winningnest quarterback in NFL history, the only team that has a winning record against him in none other the Broncos. As of yesterday, Brady is a career 7-9 against Denver (playoffs included).

But, when you look at the record of the franchise itself, under Belichick, a different story is told. Whatever Brady's struggles are against Denver, the fact is....The Patriots do not have a losing record against any franchise dating back to 2000. The Patriots beat Denver in 2000 and 2008 (without Brady) and are now 9-9 under Belichick.

When it comes to mediots, Brady and Belichick are always made to be exploiting each other in one way or another (e.g. Brady being a "system quarterback") but in reality, they are an amazing QB-Coach duo, who complement each other's strengths (and sometimes, compensate well for each other's shortcomings.)

I am grateful for Brady. Even though his numbers were pedestrian, he managed the offense well and executed the game plan. On the other hand, the team as a whole was spectacular ...and the coaching staff under Belichick (Scharneccia included) were nothing short of brilliant.

Mediots be dammned... I love this team!!! :D:D:D GO PATS!!!
Myers hates BB . There is no secret to this. And he wrote a book with brady . So he will be an idiot in this matter.Nice of the new york media to deflect the news from their own team which is under scrutiny now.

Patriot haters on Belichick: "He's overrated and living off Brady."

Patriot haters on Brady: "He's overrated and living off Belichick."

;)
I think patriot haters in general will descredit one of them all the time.

Gary Myers is wrong about many things in this piece (notably Belichick's approach to dealing with off-field controversies and players with character issues). To spare you from having to click on it, here's a brief segment

C0Ccj9mUQAArDN9.jpg

Self-righteousness aside, if you wanna discuss the merit of his football analysis, no comment is as egregious or ignorant as the notion that Belichick is riding on Brady's excellence.

Not only does he have a solid winning record in NE in games without Brady (13-6 or .684) but time and time again, he has demonstrated a mastery of personnel decisions while displaying an ability to adjust and outscheme any opponent.

If you want to find a nice example, just compare Belichick's record with Brady's against the Broncos. While Brady is the winningnest quarterback in NFL history, the only team that has a winning record against him in none other the Broncos. As of yesterday, Brady is a career 7-9 against Denver (playoffs included).

But, when you look at the record of the franchise itself, under Belichick, a different story is told. Whatever Brady's struggles are against Denver, the fact is....The Patriots do not have a losing record against any franchise dating back to 2000. The Patriots beat Denver in 2000 and 2008 (without Brady) and are now 9-9 under Belichick.

When it comes to mediots, Brady and Belichick are always made to be exploiting each other in one way or another (e.g. Brady being a "system quarterback") but in reality, they are an amazing QB-Coach duo, who complement each other's strengths (and sometimes, compensate well for each other's shortcomings.)

I am grateful for Brady. Even though his numbers were pedestrian, he managed the offense well and executed the game plan. On the other hand, the team as a whole was spectacular ...and the coaching staff under Belichick (Scharneccia included) were nothing short of brilliant.

Funny thing is that the "Patriot Way" is the media coined term. BB has never uttered a word. And myers is comparing something a guy did when on the pats vs what he did before.

I haven't read the thread and I certainly won't give a view to a sensationalistic piece of crap, but I will say this:

BB and TB12 have the perfect symbiotic relationship. They work great together and they are both strong leaders who set the tone for the rest of the organization. BOTH are a product of each other. Match made in heaven, really. Together, they have been able to ascend to GOAT coach and GOAT QB.

Last edited:
Myers is a big fan of Tom Brady. Belichick - not so much.

C0Ccj9mUQAArDN9.jpg

I am not saying that I agree with him, but his point about the DUI, verse the player discipline for meetings or being late to practice is interesting at least. We (and I) like Floyd for his potential as a receiver. If he were on our team, and got the DUI, what would the discipline been? (If you go home for being late to a practice) Just sayin.

I am so sick of morons in the media bringing this arguement up.

BB is a HoF coach who most likely would not have won as many games or SBs w/o TB12

TB12 is a HoF player who most likely would not have the stats, wins or be as successful without BB coaching him.

There is nothing wrong with sharing success and others receiving credit for contributing to yours.

Won't these people ever make up their minds. Is it Brady or Belichick who sucks! Why can't they make up their mind...o_O

Not only does he have a solid winning record in NE in games without Brady (13-6 or .684) ...

The Patriots do not have a losing record against any franchise dating back to 2000. The Patriots beat Denver in 2000 and 2008 (without Brady) and are now 9-9 under Belichick.

Belichick is 19-19 in NE in games without Brady.

looks like even while discussing 2000, somebody forgot about "without Brady" Drew's 5-11 followed by 0-2 in 2001.

I am not saying that I agree with him, but his point about the DUI, verse the player discipline for meetings or being late to practice is interesting at least. We (and I) like Floyd for his potential as a receiver. If he were on our team, and got the DUI, what would the discipline been? (If you go home for being late to a practice) Just sayin.

I kinda disagree with you (and with the journalist) about Floyd. Doing something stupid off the field while a member of another team shouldn't impact you once on the Pats. I am sure if he breaks a team rule while a member of the Pats, he will be sent packing quick enough. It isn't BB's job to be the police, that's the police's.

looks like even while discussing 2000, somebody forgot about "without Brady" Drew's 5-11 followed by 0-2 in 2001.

Yep. BB is actually sub .500, in N.E. without Brady, if you use NFL records keeping:

5-11
0-2
10-5
3-1

Perfect illustration why BB was willing to go with TFB late in 2001 and then trade The Statue

How many coaches would have the balls to trade away their most talented defensive player for virtually nothing in the middle of the season and then leave one of their other better defenders at home? This defense, despite point totals, was underperforming. Belichick needed to make a point to his team. Everyone, including veterans and pro bowl talent, needed get in line, stick to their assignments, and give 100% effort on every play. That's what I interpret the "Patriot Way" to be. Do your job. It's more important to have every single one of your players playing as a team rather than having stars.

Myers doesn't get that and it seems many teams around the NFL don't either.

This is exactly right. It's a helpful little shorthand for morons with an agenda. It's actually good when someone makes one of these arguments, because it's an easy way to know to ignore them. (I also love the "I could make a strong case..." Yeah, OK Gary. You go do that.)

On the Floyd thing, it's the ultimate straw man that comes up again and again, that Belichick talks about the "Patriot Way." They look at guys individually (although seem to not have tolerance for gunplay, unlike many other franchies...)

And there's always been a clear delineation between behavior before the team and with the team. But apparently Myers thinks a DUI means expulsion from the league? Just an idiot on so many levels.
The funniest part of it all is that the 'Patriot Way' meme is a creation of the media, who then get butthurt when their perception of it isn't followed to the letter.

Myers hates BB . There is no secret to this. And he wrote a book with brady . So he will be an idiot in this matter.Nice of the new york media to deflect the news from their own team which is under scrutiny now.
He wrote a book /about/ Brady, not with him. About Manning too.

Belichick is 19-19 in NE in games without Brady*.

Note: That's when crediting Cassel with the first win in 2008, while not saddling him with the Miami loss in 2005. If you use official NFL record keeping, BB is 18-19 in NE games without Brady.

Interesting....just so we're clear, I'm qualifying the w-l of Belichick's record post-Bledsoe (hence, 13-6). That might be misleading to some, but very seldom does a coach achieve a winning record during their first year on a team -- considering how long it takes to implement a new program and playbook.

Point is...Belichick has built a brilliant organization that has experienced sustained success even in the absence of Brady (either due injury or suspension) while still making TB12 a key, foundation.

He wrote a book /about/ Brady, not with him. About Manning too.
yes but he did interview brady as part of the book.he didnt do with manning as much.

Belichick is 19-19 in NE in games without Brady*.

Note: That's when crediting Cassel with the first win in 2008, while not saddling him with the Miami loss in 2005. If you use official NFL record keeping, BB is 18-19 in NE games without Brady.

Yes, there are 18-19 losses without Brady. However, that's really driven by the first house-cleaning season, as is pretty common. The Patriots went 5-11 in Belichick's first year, following the steady declines under the Pete Carroll/Rosy Grier team. The next year they won the Super Bowl.

Otherwise Belichick is 14-8 or 15-7, depending on how you account for the partial Bledsoe/Cassel injury games. Still a 64%-68% win rate. That translates into an 11-win 16-game season without Brady.

Now they do get to play the Jets and Bills twice a season. I did not take those out of the stats...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back