PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gary Mayers troll piece on Belichick: "I can make a strong case he’s overrated and living off Brady"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Sunday Morning QB: How about Eli Manning just calls the plays?

Gary Myers is wrong about many things in this piece (notably Belichick's approach to dealing with off-field controversies and players with character issues). To spare you from having to click on it, here's a brief segment

C0Ccj9mUQAArDN9.jpg

Self-righteousness aside, if you wanna discuss the merit of his football analysis, no comment is as egregious or ignorant as the notion that Belichick is riding on Brady's excellence.

Not only does he have a solid winning record in NE in games without Brady (13-6 or .684) but time and time again, he has demonstrated a mastery of personnel decisions while displaying an ability to adjust and outscheme any opponent.

If you want to find a nice example, just compare Belichick's record with Brady's against the Broncos. While Brady is the winningnest quarterback in NFL history, the only team that has a winning record against him in none other the Broncos. As of yesterday, Brady is a career 7-9 against Denver (playoffs included).

But, when you look at the record of the franchise itself, under Belichick, a different story is told. Whatever Brady's struggles are against Denver, the fact is....The Patriots do not have a losing record against any franchise dating back to 2000. The Patriots beat Denver in 2000 and 2008 (without Brady) and are now 9-9 under Belichick.

When it comes to mediots, Brady and Belichick are always made to be exploiting each other in one way or another (e.g. Brady being a "system quarterback") but in reality, they are an amazing QB-Coach duo, who complement each other's strengths (and sometimes, compensate well for each other's shortcomings.)

I am grateful for Brady. Even though his numbers were pedestrian, he managed the offense well and executed the game plan. On the other hand, the team as a whole was spectacular ...and the coaching staff under Belichick (Scharneccia included) were nothing short of brilliant.

Mediots be dammned... I love this team!!! :D:D:D GO PATS!!!

Last edited:
I ain't reading that story. I will say that the win at Denver is proof that Belichick comes first and Brady second. Brady did not play well, but the TEAM played outstanding.

On the way to SB wins, I'd say the D didn't step up in 3 of the 12 games (CAR, BAL, SEA). Brady definitely carried them in 2014, but otherwise, the D has done well in those championship runs.

Even in losses, I think the blame can be spread around. They are both all-time greats that make each other even better.

I ain't reading that story. I will say that the win at Denver is proof that Belichick comes first and Brady second. Brady did not play well, but the TEAM played outstanding.

One game doesn't prove anything, but if it did that game proved the Pats defense was #1, not Belichick. As Belichick always says, it's a player's game.

Remember that time in 2003 Brady conceived the idea to deliberately give the Broncos a safety and remove Denver's field advantage? Same.

TB12 & BB are two sides of the same coin. You cannot point to one without the other.

Myers is going to have a lot of egg on his face when BB does the ultimate BB move and trades Brady and wins with JG.

Patriot haters on Belichick: "He's overrated and living off Brady."

Patriot haters on Brady: "He's overrated and living off Belichick."

;)

Last edited:
It's terrible journalism to act like a 6th round pick just turned up and was instantly the best QB ever with no coaching there's been plenty of elite quarterbacks who haven't had this level of success, you think Belichick wins no Super Bowls with Dan Marino?

Belichick was a huge part of why Brady became Brady.

You're trying to make an argument that he can't win a Super Bowl with terrible quarterbacking as a media member? Yeah well done, him and every other coach in the history of football at every level.

Without even reading it, I find it funny that the media sees BB as this hypocrite when he never says anything to suggest that. He literally says nothing most of the time and doesn't explain **** like a boss. Statements like "I don't have to explain myself to you" should be replaced with "Seattle" or "On to Cincinnati".

To take it one step further, BB never told the media what baggage would rule out a player if he believes they won't be a problem here. It is not like I remember him asking the media if it was okay to sign Dennard(really thought he was a steal) after he punched a cop etc.

Patriots haters on Belichick: "He's overrated and living off Brady."

Patriot haters on Brady: "He's overrated and living off Belichick."

;)
This is exactly right. It's a helpful little shorthand for morons with an agenda. It's actually good when someone makes one of these arguments, because it's an easy way to know to ignore them. (I also love the "I could make a strong case..." Yeah, OK Gary. You go do that.)

On the Floyd thing, it's the ultimate straw man that comes up again and again, that Belichick talks about the "Patriot Way." They look at guys individually (although seem to not have tolerance for gunplay, unlike many other franchies...)

And there's always been a clear delineation between behavior before the team and with the team. But apparently Myers thinks a DUI means expulsion from the league? Just an idiot on so many levels.

Last edited:
Remember that time in 2003 Brady conceived the idea to deliberately give the Broncos a safety and remove Denver's field advantage? Same.

TB12 & BB are two sides of the same coin. You cannot point to one without the other.

That's exactly it. I'm sure either would have a degree of success without the other, perhaps even winning Super Bowls here and there. But together, they are a juggernaut. They lift each other up, all the time.

Why would anyone read Myers, CHB, Tomase, etc? The ONLY purpose of these articles to to piss you off, and click. DONT CLICK. Ill read Reiss, Finn, Curran, and...thats about it. If you see a pile a dog crap on the sidewalk, and walk in it, why are you suprised that you get **** in your shoe?

Yep, BB is this decade's version of Barry Switzer.

In modern, cap era, NFL football to have a span of success this long there needs to be multiple 'top of their profession' elements in place (for example HC and QB). For one to watch 15 years of success only to dismiss it is to make one an unserious person......oh wait he is sports MSM, he is already unserious.

Stupid post.
Indeed, TB12 is going nowhere. However articles like this could help BB to continue on post TB12, assuming health and still enjoying the grind, etc. By then he'll be closing in on Shula and probably have both sons on the staff. God willing . . .

On the way to SB wins, I'd say the D didn't step up in 3 of the 12 games (CAR, BAL, SEA). Brady definitely carried them in 2014, but otherwise, the D has done well in those championship runs.

I will have to disagree with you on that last one.....

Not only does he have a solid winning record in NE in games without Brady (13-6 or .684)

Belichick is 19-19 in NE in games without Brady*.

Note: That's when crediting Cassel with the first win in 2008, while not saddling him with the Miami loss in 2005. If you use official NFL record keeping, BB is 18-19 in NE games without Brady.

Last edited:
It's terrible journalism to act like a 6th round pick just turned up and was instantly the best QB ever with no coaching there's been plenty of elite quarterbacks who haven't had this level of success, you think Belichick wins no Super Bowls with Dan Marino?

Belichick was a huge part of why Brady became Brady.

You're trying to make an argument that he can't win a Super Bowl with terrible quarterbacking as a media member? Yeah well done, him and every other coach in the history of football at every level.
Just to give you an idea of how versatile BB is, Tom Brady's QB coach his first 2 or 3 years was none other than Bill Bellichick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back