PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Garoppolo Trade Talks to Heat Up This Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breer tweeted that the Browns had mulled the possibility of trading the 12th pick for JG. I'm not surprised and I think we need to ask for more.

I am strongly in the camp that JG can be a top 12 QB in this league and those don't come cheap.

I just hope they trade him. Not because I want to see him go, but because the odds of him being worth more than he is right now, are low. It would take JG playing at some point in 2017, and playing well, for his value to jump. Even then you're talking a Matt Cassel situation where you need the tag to keep, and then trade him. While I prefer a 1st, I'd be happy with a pair of 2nd's if we're talking pick #33 this year, plus one next season, among other potential sweetners. What I don't want the Pats to do, is hold him, and get next to nothing as he moves on for an opportunity elsewhere.

Something to consider as well, is that by trading him you get to pick and choose where JG goes. If you keep him, and he walks, you could see him become a franchise QB on the Jets, Houston, Chiefs, etc. teams in your division, or in you conference, for the next 10 seasons. If you trade him to the Bears, or SF, you avoid the possibility. Of course, Bill traded Bledsoe to the Bills, so if he has doubts about JG's ability to deliver, he might not care where he goes.

I keep hearing suggestions that the Browns, 49ers, or Bears could trade down to the mid-1st round and pick up some extra picks before trading the 1st to the Pats for Jimmy.

That's a nice plan, as long as you know that your competition isn't willing to trade their original pick for him.

I think that plan works in theory, but in practice I don't see it working. With free agency before the draft teams can't afford to wait and rely on the draft to fill a specific need because they don't really have many backup options. Teams are making sure they get their ducks in a row early and that is why we have seen trades at the very top of the draft (RG3, Goff and Wentz) happening well in advance.

That is why I think if Jimmy G is traded (which is highly likely), it will be before the draft, maybe even early in free agency. Whatever team trades for him will want to do it early to create stability and build around him in free agency and the draft.

Or BB could trade him during the 2017 season, for less draft capital, like he did with Collins. Some team unfortunately will lose their QB at some point until week 8 could and would give up at least a 3rd in a new york minute.

8 games works for a team willing to Test drive JimmyG for less than a million, and it works for BB to make the right call with more data to base his decision.
Why would belichick wait and get less and get the picks a year later?
What good does it do to let an asset wither in the bench and get significantly less?
That's like saying wait until the winter to sell a convertible.

Breer tweeted that the Browns had mulled the possibility of trading the 12th pick for JG. I'm not surprised and I think we need to ask for more.

I am strongly in the camp that JG can be a top 12 QB in this league and those don't come cheap.

The Browns would be stupid not to do that. If they use their #1 for a top-tier DL, such as Barnett, Garrett, or Lawson, and their #12 for a NFL-ready QB, they would put themselves in a very good position to be a contender.

But then again, we're talking about the Browns....

Are you basing that on the fact that Garrapolo brings more to the Patriots than Richard Seymour, Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Jerod Mayo, Devin McCourty, Donta Hightower, and their other first round choices who have been such huge busts?

If so, great analysis.

And your great analysis is that even one those players are worth a great QB?

I hate to do it but I'm going to have to agree with Mary Kay Cabot, the Browns should definitely give the Patriots the #1 overall pick for Jimmy Garrapolo. It's the only fair thing to do. The vision of Rodgah Gudel having to step to the podium and announce "With the first overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft-THE WORLD CHAMPION NEW ENGLAND PAYRIOTS select................"

Is just too beautiful mot to happen.

Is mulled in past tense for a reason? Is implying they mulled it over and now have moved on?

Mayock just said that none of the draft qbs are pro ready which is good for Jimmy's value

And your great analysis is that even one those players are worth a great QB?

How the hell is Jommy Garrapolo " a great quarterback, " he's played six quarters of football, he's a prospect, and all are worth far more than a guy sitting on the bench.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
How the hell is Jommy Garrapolo " a great quarterback, " he's played six quarters of football, he's a prospect, and all are worth far more than a guy sitting on the bench.

Yeah I heard the same thing when Brady came in for Bledsoe. It is pretty damn clear he is a great QB. Obviously you don't think so, if it takes you as long as it took most people to see how good Brady was I can't help you.

The Browns would be beyond stupid to trade the #1 overall pick for JG. I hope they do it. :D

Jaguars 4th pick. Remember, you heard it here 1st.:)

Yeah I heard the same thing when Brady came in for Bledsoe. It is pretty damn clear he is a great QB. Obviously you don't think so, if it takes you as long as it took most people to see how good Brady was I can't help you.

There is zero tangible evidence that JG is anything close to a great QB. Maybe he will someday but he "is a great QB?"... no. And he's not worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Tom Brady so not sure why they are being compared.

Why would belichick wait and get less and get the picks a year later?
What good does it do to let an asset wither in the bench and get significantly less?
That's like saying wait until the winter to sell a convertible.

If he is not 100% sure on his decision that scenario can play out. Belichick is certainly considering that playing less games might have helped Brady, he may have seen certain things in practice and wants to wait a little longer before making the right call, it came to light this past week that he wants to outlast Brady in the league so he's got an eye in the future.

I think Belichick would rather get less draft capital than make a premature decision. So this scenario is not very likely I agree, but if the offers are just 2nd rounders then he is gonna tell them to F off, quality backup is important and you roll the dice only if there is a 1st involved and some change Id say.

Last edited:
The Browns would be beyond stupid to trade the #1 overall pick for JG. I hope they do it. :D

So if Chicago or SF offers the 2nd or 3rd pick what do Browns do? Tony Romo? Draft a QB that will almost certainly bust?

If the Browns draft Garrett with the 1st pick and trade #12 pick for Jimmy G, they "won" the draft. However, I think other teams may offer more than #12 (I stand by my Jaguars' #4 prediction).

So if Chicago or SF offers the 2nd or 3rd pick what do Browns do? Tony Romo? Draft a QB that will almost certainly bust?

If the Browns draft Garrett with the 1st pick and trade #12 pick for Jimmy G, they "won" the draft. However, I think other teams may offer more than #12(I stand by my Jaguars' #4 prediction).
I don't think #1 is on the table and if another team is offering higher then #12 Cleveland throws in #33. Now that's an interesting choice. Do you take #3 from Chicago or #12 and #33 from Cleveland? I would take the 2 picks....adding 3 top 30 players from a loaded draft makes the pats super bowl favorites for the rest of Brady's career.

Just wanted to chime in briefly with my little addendum to this issue. One thing I have not seen mentioned much is the possibility for a player for player trade here.

Aside from the JJ Watt speculation (which just doesn't make any sense from Houston's POV, given the subsequent cap ramifications), I really haven't seen this line of thinking mentioned much.

Everyone seems to be caught up in what teams make sense relative to their draft position but it would not surprise me in the least if Belichick pulled a random trade out of the blue and we see Jimmy traded for a player at a need position. We don't see a lot of player for player trades in the NFL due to the league's asinine trade rules, but because Jimmy is cheap for 2017, that may loosen the reigns a bit.

No I don't have any ideas about who we're talking about here, but I am suggesting that limiting potential trade partners to teams with draft picks that make sense is a bit misguided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back