PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Garoppolo is the last piece of the puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.
they are smart enough to do whatever they feel is right. they can restructure both at any moment. Tom is game. I feel Jimmy might be also. If he can carry the team he stays, period. They'll find a way to address timing, dont worry. Lets just see him play first.
Tom is game for what? He'd play QB for one dollar per year until he's dead - or at least until "he sucks", in his words. They are at least 3 years from Tom thinking he approaches anything approximating him "sucking". If the courts do what's right, and Tom Brady performs how one could reasonably expect him to, Jimmy Garoppolo will never start a game for the Patriots, period. Do the math. What's Chase Daniels contract look like? The Patriots are going to sign JG to that to sit behind TB? Come on.

They can't both "restructure at any moment", they just re-did Brady's deal so that can't be revisited for another year. And there is zero reason for the Patriots to revisit JG's deal.

I'm not worried. I think people in the JG corner are being naive about how the team sees him. He's a solid dude and a potential starter, and he will be here as long as it makes sense. That is next spring. He's not a time bomb ticking down on Tom Brady's time as starter. The "timing" argument is ******** made up by people who are overthinking the transition. If Tom is who we think he is - do you want to argue he is not? - then he is the best option for NE thru 2018/19, and maybe beyond. JG is just a more handsome and less white trashy version of Ryan Mallett. I wish him luck, but until he outplays Tom he can sit the **** down.

Last edited:
Tom is game for what? He'd play QB for one dollar per year until he's dead - or at least until "he sucks", in his words. They are at least 3 years from Tom thinking he approaches anything approximating him "sucking". If the courts do what's right, and Tom Brady performs how one could reasonably expect him to, Jimmy Garoppolo will never start a game for the Patriots, period. Do the math. What's Chase Daniels contract look like? The Patriots are going to sign JG to that to sit behind TB? Come on.

They can't both "restructure at any moment", they just re-did Brady's deal so that can't be revisited for another year. And there is zero reason for the Patriots to revisit JG's deal.

I'm not worried. I think people in the JG corner are being naive about how the team sees him. He's a solid dude and a potential starter, and he will be here as long as it makes sense. That is next spring. He's not a time bomb ticking down on Tom Brady's time as starter. The "timing" argument is ******** made up by people who are overthinking the transition. If Tom is who we think he is - do you want to argue he is not? - then he is the best option for NE thru 2018/19, and maybe beyond. JG is just a more handsome and less white trashy version of Ryan Mallett. I wish him luck, but until he outplays Tom he can sit the **** down.

We don't even have any idea as to whether or not Garoppolo is a capable backup, let alone a successful NFL starting quarterback. The dude completed one pass last year. The whole entire argument is not only premature, but it's kind of silly in my opinion.

We should at least wait to see if he can win a game or two before anyone even brings this up. Just because Belichick drafts a QB in the top 3 rounds (O'Connell, Mallett, Garoppolo, Brissett) doesn't mean that any of them are going to be our next franchise quarterback.

We don't even have any idea as to whether or not Garoppolo is a capable backup, let alone a successful NFL starting quarterback. The dude completed one pass last year. The whole entire argument is not only premature, but it's kind of silly in my opinion.

We should at least wait to see if he can win a game or two before anyone even brings this up. Just because Belichick drafts a QB in the top 3 rounds (O'Connell, Mallett, Garoppolo, Brissett) doesn't mean that any of them are going to be our next franchise quarterback.
I agree with you absolutely and without exception, comment, or qualification. JG is a handsome-looking nothingburger to me at this point. Would I be happy replacing Jay Cutler with him? YES. Tom Brady is not Jay Cutler. Story over.

But around here, JG is the ****ING MAN because he is maybe going to be the backup guy when TB turns 40. Come on.

Story over.

Oh how i wish your story was over.
Is it not enough for you to tell your opinion once like most people here?
Can other people opinions really upset you so much that you have to bully everyone with dropping the same lines twenty times?
Be a good boy and be constructive as you can be. Your opinions are as valuable as anyone else's.
And your knowledge of whats GOING TO happen to Brady, Garoppolo etc. are as as good a guess as anybody's.
No offense.
(and please dont get angry on me with another thousand words. use that time better.)

Matt Light?

Brady, Light, Wilfork, Gost...Mankins was 9 years before they traded him.

It's not a ton, but it's something. 10 years is arbitrary anyway. If the average career is, what, 3 years? Then anything around 5-7 years can be considered a significant draft pick.

I don't put 10 years as a goal. I'm fine with 5-7 year players.

Matt Light?

Brady, Light, Wilfork, Gost...Mankins was 9 years before they traded him.

It's not a ton, but it's something. 10 years is arbitrary anyway. If the average career is, what, 3 years? Then anything around 5-7 years can be considered a significant draft pick.
fair enough

Light and Mankins were 10 and 9 year OL's.

... and just to make myself clear on the subject

when I was (just) speculating about QB situation proposing my belief that JG stays if he shows he can carry the team (IF Brady indeed stays suspended and he gets to play) I was looking from the teams perspective (or GM if you will).

if I try to look from a perspective of JG it is much more difficult situation but with probably very simple answer: he wants to play. So it is very possible that he asks for a trade. Being a young athlete in your prime and not be able to play is I guess most agonizing. Learning and sitting behind a historically great QB on historically great team for a couple of years is something he can live with (though I guess every game on the bench is somewhat agonizing for him), even a third is ok if you have good reasons to belive the next is yours. After that it takes a masochist to take it.

Returning to the GM perspective, I believe BB has both: understanding of players situation (so he can release him even when he (BB) wishes he would stay) and some of the old mans magic (convincing him to stay for another year or so)

for the moment - like I said already before - I would like to see him play (IF TB indeed has to sit) and see what our coaches made of him. I would enjoy that very much.

Last edited:
Oh how i wish your story was over.
Is it not enough for you to tell your opinion once like most people here?
Can other people opinions really upset you so much that you have to bully everyone with dropping the same lines twenty times?
Be a good boy and be constructive as you can be. Your opinions are as valuable as anyone else's.
And your knowledge of whats GOING TO happen to Brady, Garoppolo etc. are as as good a guess as anybody's.
No offense.
(and please dont get angry on me with another thousand words. use that time better.)
Hodor

We don't even have any idea as to whether or not Garoppolo is a capable backup, let alone a successful NFL starting quarterback.
liked, agreed, and winnered times one million, but the truth is out there and it says dump tom brady before his arm falls off and he sucks because otherwise reasons. jimmy's reputation around these parts is equally tied to tom's age as it is to anything jimmy himself has shown on the field.

Tom is game for what? He'd play QB for one dollar per year until he's dead - or at least until "he sucks", in his words. They are at least 3 years from Tom thinking he approaches anything approximating him "sucking".

What Brady thinks is irrelevant. What Father Time thinks is what matters. Unfortunately, we don't know what he thinks.

But there have been plenty of players who have gone south very quickly in their advanced years. And that's even before you throw injuries into the equation.

So the team basing its decisions on the future on Brady's "thinking" that it'll be at least three years before he "sucks" would be malfeasance on the front office's part.

What Brady thinks is irrelevant. What Father Time thinks is what matters. Unfortunately, we don't know what he thinks.

But there have been plenty of players who have gone south very quickly in their advanced years. And that's even before you throw injuries into the equation.

So the team basing its decisions on the future on Brady's "thinking" that it'll be at least three years before he "sucks" would be malfeasance on the front office's part.
Tom thinking he'll play for several more years IS relevant, because if there was disagreement from the organization whether Tom wanted to and could reasonably play at least 3 more seasons at a high level, then they are idiots for giving him a $41m extension a couple months ago and the front office malfeasance that you suggest has already taken place.

Last edited:

Belichick is being smart by making sure the position is coveted as well As possible in case Brady starts to slip but personally I will wait for evidence of it before counting him out because of age.

Lets say Jimmy Garappolo goes 4-0 and and look like a poor mans Aaron Rodgers I would hope Brady hang em up after 2017. I don't mind Brady playing this year and next but after that If Gimmy looks good you have to wonder. History saysJimmy will be playing Three years from now and beyond we CANNOT! say the same thing about the GOAT. Here's hoping we win another one either this year or next but in 2018 and this is all contingent on Jimmy looking like an heir apparent I would rather him Starting than Brady. Sad but the GOAT can't play forever and if the situation presents itself you go with the youngster every-time.

Lets say Jimmy Garappolo goes 4-0 and and look like a poor mans Aaron Rodgers I would hope Brady hang em up after 2017. I don't mind Brady playing this year and next but after that If Gimmy looks good you have to wonder. History saysJimmy will be playing Three years from now and beyond we CANNOT! say the same thing about the GOAT. Here's hoping we win another one either this year or next but in 2018 and this is all contingent on Jimmy looking like an heir apparent I would rather him Starting than Brady. Sad but the GOAT can't play forever and if the situation presents itself you go with the youngster every-time.

The only that's "sad" is this post.

I'd prefer netting the couple of first rounders this would yield for 2017/2018

I disagree. Part of sports is bonding with the players from afar. Maybe it's different for me as Brady and I are pretty much the same age, but I'd hate to see him anywhere else. I'd rather see a terrible last season with the Pats than watch him go to the Rams and have two Pro Bowl seasons.

As far as Jimmy G, I don't care about any future draft picks for him or any potential seasons in 2019+ Brady finally retires.

If he can lead the Pats to 4-0 record when/if Brady misses the start of the season then he will have been worth the investment regardless.

Brisset could be the future. Would not surprise me if BB looks around the NFL and sees that the league has evolved towards pocket QBs who can also run (Luck, Wilson, Cam) and that Brisset is his first foray into this prototype.

Where does the Aaron Rodger comparison come from? Rodgers has a huge arm and throws on the best deep ball in the game, Garoppolo has a subpar arm and struggles throwing the deep ball.

Just because they both backed up a HOF QB does not make them comparable.

Father Time thinks that Brady looks younger and more athletic today than he did a decade ago, and that if a pill popping drunk like Favre could play into his 40s Brady could too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft