PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Garoppolo is the last piece of the puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd split the difference on that. $14m in dead money would be a big donut for the Pats to eat for 2018 and it would even be tough to move in trade, because if Tom had played to a level that made moving on from him obvious and desirable to NE (but somehow also not bad enough for him to retire) then his trade value would also see a significant reduction. I think the extension guarantees he's here through 2018 (not necessarily 2019) based on cap hits, and of course TBD and reevaluated at that point.

I'm confused.

If the team is ready to move on to Garappolo or Brisset in 2018, the hit for Brady would be $14M whether he played or not. After all, if Brady were to play his last year in 2018, the #2 and #3 quarterbacks would still be on the roster.

BB give Brady an extension (2 years) in 2015
Brady is the GOAT
Brady still the better QB in NFL
BB scout JG everyday
BB use a high draft pick to select a 3rd QB in 2016
Brady has 14m in dead money in 2018, 7m in 2019

Select the most likely option:

a) Cut Brady in 2017
b) Hope Jimmy play well and trade him in 2017 ( having Brissett already adapted to the system)

BB give Brady an extension (2 years) in 2015
Brady is the GOAT
Brady still the better QB in NFL
BB scout JG everyday
BB use a high draft pick to select a 3rd QB in 2016
Brady has 14m in dead money in 2018, 7m in 2019

Select the most likely option:

a) Cut Brady in 2017
b) Hope Jimmy play well and trade him in 2017 ( having Brissett already adapted to the system)
Do you mean after 2017?

Question, If JG foes 4-0, and does a fairly good job doing so, who starts week 5. Brady with only 1 week of practice with the team, or Jimmy G?

Question, If JG foes 4-0, and does a fairly good job doing so, who starts week 5. Brady with only 1 week of practice with the team, or Jimmy G?

You'll get this response....

Then this question...

That means very little. Brady and the team can part company after 2017.
What do you mean? They can part ways tomorrow if they wanted too. He is under contract thru 2019. That means a whole lot more than you suggesting otherwise in a forum.

I'm confused.

If the team is ready to move on to Garappolo or Brisset in 2018, the hit for Brady would be $14M whether he played or not. After all, if Brady were to play his last year in 2018, the #2 and #3 quarterbacks would still be on the roster.
What are you talking about? Garoppolo is signed through 2017. I think you need to go back and look things over again because you are all over the place and make rash statements with very weak knowledge of the situation.

What are you talking about? Garoppolo is signed through 2017. I think you need to go back and look things over again because you are all over the place and make rash statements with very weak knowledge of the situation.

I'll break into smaller pieces for you.

THE BRADY DECISION
In 2017, the team and Brady need to make a joint decision with regard to whether Brady will play in 2018.

THE GARAPPOLO DECISION
If the decision is for 2017 to be likely Brady's last year, then the team must make a decision with regard to Garappolo. If he's the man, then he'll be extended. Such an extension could be signed before or during the 2017 season.

The BRISSETT DECISION
With regard to Brissett, if he isn't qualified to be at least the backup, the team will draft a QB again in the next draft, and perhaps again in 2018. If he is deemed able and ready, perhaps, he will be in the conversation with regard to 2018.

IN ANY CASE
We all want Brady to play in 2018 and 2019. However, if he and the team decide that the end in after 2017, the 2018 cap cost will be $14M. If Brady plays in 2018, the 2018 cap cost will also be $14M. So, I don't see the great cap difference between Brady playing through 2017 and playing through 2018.

THE BRADY DECISION
In 2017, the team and Brady need to make a joint decision with regard to whether Brady will play in 2018.

THE GARAPPOLO DECISION
If the decision is for 2017 to be likely Brady's last year, then the team must make a decision with regard to Garappolo. If he's the man, then he'll be extended. Such an extension could be signed before or during the 2017 season.

The BRISSETT DECISION
With regard to Brissett, if he isn't qualified to be at least the backup, the team will draft a QB again in the next draft, and perhaps again in 2018. If he is deemed able and ready, perhaps, he will be in the conversation with regard to 2018.

IN ANY CASE
We all want Brady to play in 2018 and 2019. However, if he and the team decide that the end in after 2017, the 2018 cap cost will be $14M. If Brady plays in 2018, the 2018 cap cost will also be $14M. So, I don't see the great cap difference between Brady playing through 2017 and playing through 2018.
Glad to see you're now open to Garoppolo possibly being "the man" post-Brady after laughing at my suggestion he could still be here in 10 years. ;)

This is a stupid convo as long as Brady is playing well.....

The rest of it comes down to timing

I believe they are very big in JAG, but they won't be moving Brady out of the way....he will play until he sucks

I'm confused.

THE BRADY DECISION

THE GARAPPOLO DECISION

The BRISSETT DECISION

IN ANY CASE
Pretty sure I was drunk, sorry :) I'm not entirely sure what my point was either.

Basically I think the extension with Tom was done with full confidence that he would not need to be replaced as the starter until 2019 at the earliest. If they were going to decide in 2017 if he was still good enough to play in 2018, they could've just waited and extended him next year, or they could've structured the deal as a one-year extension instead of two, etc. I don't think BB signed him to that extension just to be nice or to show support for Tom because Kraft didn't.

I can't imagine they'll be able to pay competitively for Garoppolo if he wasn't going to start as soon as the money got real, nor would I expect him to want to sign on for a heir-apparent-at-some-point situation when he would likely have a starting opportunity for real money somewhere. So unless they are convinced this offseason that Brady is done and Jimmy is the only man who can replace him I think a trade of JG next spring is much more likely than carrying him through his rookie deal rather than waiting see how Tom does and hoping to sign JG at that point when he can hit UFA. A scenario where JG got offered an Osweiler-type deal (or more) by some team with a QB hole and tons of money to burn isn't that difficult to imagine. This isn't the only place he could possibly be good.

Obviously Brissett matters here too - if they like what they see from Brissett and are comfortable with him becoming the #2 for 2017, they can move Jimmy for a pick or two and draft another QB next year to be #3 guy.

In sum, I guess I don't see a "great" cap difference between Tom playing through 2018 or not, and $14m is an ever-shrinking fraction of the cap, but it's definitely significant. It often seems the assumption is that JG would sign a below-market deal here just because well "how could he want to go anywhere else?", coupled with the assumption that BB would be so married to the idea that JG is absolutely the guy that he would jettison the GOAT while he's still playing at an elite level, and have it cost him $14m in dead money.

THE BRADY DECISION

THE GARAPPOLO DECISION

The BRISSETT DECISION

IN ANY CASE
Where exactly is this joint decision coming from. Is Brady in contract for 2018 and 2019? Yes, you assuming because of the cap size that there is a decision is fictional, and baseless. $22M for Brady is not a unreasonable cap figure for a QB.

It is actually comical that in an offseason where the extended Brady and drafted a QB in the third round people are suggesting the team sees Garoppolo as the QB of the future.

Glad to see you're now open to Garoppolo possibly being "the man" post-Brady after laughing at my suggestion he could still be here in 10 years. ;)

I laugh at any suggestion that a player stays with a team for 10 years. This very rarely happens. And the focus of coaches is much shorter than that.

I laugh at any suggestion that a player stays with a team for 10 years. This very rarely happens. And the focus of coaches is much shorter than that.
It's stupid to laugh at that suggestion involving quarterbacks, offensive linemen and kickers. Rare, yes -- certainly not "laughable."

It's stupid to laugh at that suggestion involving quarterbacks, offensive linemen and kickers. Rare, yes -- certainly not "laughable."

Other than Brady, the greatest coach in the history of the NFL hasn't drafted even one ten year player. Both Vinitieri and Faulk were drafted before he got here.

I believe that the last 10 year OL was Bruce Armstrong.

For better of worse, the free agency system has ended the time when great players played their careers for one team.

Belichick has drafted none except Brady, a once in a lifetime achievement.

And Belichick is the best.

The free agency system has made players who play 10 years for one team extremely rare.
========
And yet, almost every year, I hear that this lineman or that will be the protector for 10 years or more. Or that this QB will lead their team for a generation.

Perhaps, it is indeed inappropriate to laugh at the hopes of others. As you say this situation is extremely unusual for those drafted in this century.

Of course, Belichick inherited McGinist, Johnson, Law, Braschi, Troy Brown, and Faulk.

Last edited:
Other than Brady, the greatest coach in the history of the NFL hasn't drafted even one ten year player. Both Vinitieri and Faulk were drafted before he got here.

I believe that the last 10 year OL was Bruce Armstrong.

For better of worse, the free agency system has ended the time when great players played their careers for one team.
Matt Light?

Brady, Light, Wilfork, Gost...Mankins was 9 years before they traded him.

It's not a ton, but it's something. 10 years is arbitrary anyway. If the average career is, what, 3 years? Then anything around 5-7 years can be considered a significant draft pick.

Basically /.../ coupled with the assumption that BB would be so married to the idea that JG is absolutely the guy that he would jettison the GOAT while he's still playing at an elite level, and have it cost him $14m in dead money.

they are smart enough to do whatever they feel is right. they can restructure both at any moment. Tom is game. I feel Jimmy might be also. If he can carry the team he stays, period. They'll find a way to address timing, dont worry. Lets just see him play first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes