Game thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

woolster22

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Defense played well. Some jugs work it's in line for the secondary. Should have been what, six picks? Seriously. Defensive line looked good, not great, backers and secondary looked tremendous (dropped picks excluded). The kids are rounding into form at a great time. Collins played well, Ryan was all over the place (in a good way, at cb, as a rookie....amazing), and Harmon did a good job play making and cleaning up for Gregory after McCourty went down.

Ol, as much as you could reasonably expect given the injuries. Blount is quickly reminding people why he was taken so high. Brady played well for the most part, tried forcing a few balls and skipped them about ten yards short though...

All that said. The officiating was an absolute joke. This league is quickly resembling the nba in that regard. That is why I stopped watching nba basketball (game six handed to Lakers when the cs tried to repeat). While they didn't seem to favor anyone, the pi emphasis made the game a joke. If the call against us late wasn't uncatchable, how was gronks uncatchable against Carolina?

You do know that Blount was undrafted after punching someone in the face. I love him too but I thought you should know that.

Defense played well. Some jugs work it's in line for the secondary. Should have been what, six picks? Seriously. Defensive line looked good, not great, backers and secondary looked tremendous (dropped picks excluded). The kids are rounding into form at a great time. Collins played well, Ryan was all over the place (in a good way, at cb, as a rookie....amazing), and Harmon did a good job play making and cleaning up for Gregory after McCourty went down.

Ol, as much as you could reasonably expect given the injuries. Blount is quickly reminding people why he was taken so high. Brady played well for the most part, tried forcing a few balls and skipped them about ten yards short though...

All that said. The officiating was an absolute joke. This league is quickly resembling the nba in that regard. That is why I stopped watching nba basketball (game six handed to Lakers when the cs tried to repeat). While they didn't seem to favor anyone, the pi emphasis made the game a joke. If the call against us late wasn't uncatchable, how was gronks uncatchable against Carolina?

Some thoughts on your thoughts: ;)

--It is good to see the defense continue on a bit of an upward climb over the past couple of games. I thought they did some good things vs MIA last week (especially when compared to previous games), so that is a positive sign indeed. I still think there are a lot of weaknesses, but there have been improvements of late in certain areas, and that is definitely good news. The pressure on the QB (at times) has been better, as has the run defense. On top of that, the situational aspects such as 3rd down and red zone seem to have improved. I also think the defensive gameplans have been better over the past 2 weeks too.

--Logan Ryan has had a fair to good rookie year. It's certainly a positive sign to see a rookie CB working out. That said, I also think he's got a long way to go too--which is reasonable considering that he's only a first year player. I think the results so far have been optimistic for the future. I also think that he's out of position at times, and still getting adjusted. I think the 2 INT's today were very opportunistic, but they both reminded me of the type of INT's that Arrington got a couple/few yrs ago when he had 7 and everyone claimed that he was "shutdown," etc. The 2 today and the one where McCourty tipped the ball back to him in bounds were smart plays, but there was some luck involved. I'd have to give him a C+ on the year myself, which is pretty positive considering that he's only a rookie. I'd like to take another secondary player again with a 1-3 pick in the spring draft, so that we can keep taking chances on younger, cheap, talent. I think Ryan is coming along nicely at times, but still has a long way to go, and likely will be getting compared to Ty Law over the next week or so--which is ridiculous. Either way though, it's good to see a rookie CB playing fair to good.

--Harmon is much of the same to me, although Deus Irae didn't seem to be too impressed with him during a recent discussion (typing). I was under the impression myself that he was "fair" for his rookie year, which is about the height of what we really can expect due to the whole rookie aspect trying to get acclimated to the system, the faster play of the NFL, etc. I would probably give Harmon a "C," myself, but I'm also admitting to thinking that T.Wilson did a "fair" job in the secondary last year, so keep that in mind.

--Collins seems to be getting more comfortable, but I still don't know exactly what to think. Obviously he's athletic, but I don't think we've seen enough of him just yet to get a good read either way. He looks to be quicker in coverage, and even though he never turned around, he did seem to put his hands up very instinctively on the challenged play that BAL won which occurred on the sideline catch. Obviously, the situations of both Fletcher (groin injury) and Collins will be worth monitoring moving forward over the next couple of games. Hopefully we get that #2 spot and give them a couple weeks to heal up in between games.

--I think we're winning and competing at a high level with smarts, hard work, and creativity in the coaching and scheme, as opposed to talent. I think we're just out-foxing the opposition in many instances, as I think we're pretty limited in talent due to the injuries at certain positions. The hope is of course, that we can get through a handful of games in a row while masking that lack of talent.

--The inconsistency of the officiating is something that has been glaring overall in the NFL, but particularly this season of 2013. Your example of the call that went against Gregory but not against Kuechly is a perfect one.

I'm worried about Vereen and McCourty

I LOVE Blount! I liked him from the start the way he runs. I don't understand the bad reviews he was getting. I like Vereen in the Kevin Faulk role but not as a regular back. He doesn't seem tough enough. Use Blount and Ridley for regular running plays. I also wish we kept Woodhead and dropped Bolden because I think Vereen is going to be out for awhile every season with an injury and Woodhead is good Vereen insurance.

I'm worried about Vereen and McCourty

Look at it this way:

Either injury seemed to be overly serious, and even if they miss next week's game vs BUF, they'd still have 3 full weeks to recover from relatively minor injuries before our next game; assuming that we win of course.

Vereen returned to the sidelines and was seen attempting to stretch out with the trainers. They may have just been taking it cautiously, or maybe he simply needs a week or two of rest and recovery for the hamstring.

McCourty shouldn't be too bad either in my opinion. I think he just took a knee to the head and was likely a bit dizzy + concussed.

Actually, it's Cole who got the INT tipped from McCourty.

I LOVE Blount! I liked him from the start the way he runs. I don't understand the bad reviews he was getting. I like Vereen in the Kevin Faulk role but not as a regular back. He doesn't seem tough enough. Use Blount and Ridley for regular running plays. I also wish we kept Woodhead and dropped Bolden because I think Vereen is going to be out for awhile every season with an injury and Woodhead is good Vereen insurance.

I think anytime we can attempt to go with the younger, cheaper player on a rookie pact, we're going to try and do that. That was pretty much the situation with Vereen/Woodhead. We also saw it this year with the punter Ryan Allen and Zoltan Mesko, where the competition was close and they were able to save almost a full million dollars vs the cap.

Blount has done a fine job this year, and runs hard. He has a bit of a limited upside in the sense that he doesn't really have the speed to break one at that second/third level, but he can chug along in the Jerome Bettis kind of sense. The knock on him is that he fumbles at a higher rate historically over the course of his career than even Ridley does, and we saw 2 examples of that this season from him. He can also have some problems getting shorter yardage at times and can lack true speed, but in a RBBC system he seems to be working out well here. I still think we need to return to Ridley more, but it doesn't appear as though Belichick agrees with my thoughts. That said, it was nice to see Ridley get some good situational carries at a moment when it mattered a lot.

Actually, it's Cole who got the INT tipped from McCourty.

Thank you for the clarification, Fencer. My point still stands, although I certainly appreciate the correction. There are plenty of things to like about Logan Ryan's first year here, but I think we can agree that it's normal to have plenty of things to continue to work on too. It isn't easy making the transition from college to the NFL, so Ryan is probably doing better than we expected. At the same time, we also have to judge more than turnovers too.

We saw the same kind of situation from some turnovers from Tavon Wilson last year too, when he had 6 total (4 INT/2 fumbles), and Arrington's 7 league leading picks a few years ago. It's good to see turnovers being produced, but the highlight for me was seeing Ryan knock that pass down on the 4th down attempt. That's a great sign right there. In the meantime, Ryan looks like he could potentially make a nice 2nd year jump with a strong offseason. He certainly has plenty of things to work on still, as he's out of position, botches some assignments at times, and has flat out gotten burned plenty of times too. Like I said, most of that is pretty normal for a rookie in my opinion. He's playing better than I ever expected.

Re: Re: Game thoughts

You do know that Blount was undrafted after punching someone in the face. I love him too but I thought you should know that.

Lol, excuse alcohol riddled musings. I do remember him being highly rated prior to that incident, similar to our Alfonso Dennard.

Re: Re: Game thoughts

I think anytime we can attempt to go with the younger, cheaper player on a rookie pact, we're going to try and do that. That was pretty much the situation with Vereen/Woodhead. We also saw it this year with the punter Ryan Allen and Zoltan Mesko, where the competition was close and they were able to save almost a full million dollars vs the cap.

Blount has done a fine job this year, and runs hard. He has a bit of a limited upside in the sense that he doesn't really have the speed to break one at that second/third level, but he can chug along in the Jerome Bettis kind of sense. The knock on him is that he fumbles at a higher rate historically over the course of his career than even Ridley does, and we saw 2 examples of that this season from him. He can also have some problems getting shorter yardage at times and can lack true speed, but in a RBBC system he seems to be working out well here. I still think we need to return to Ridley more, but it doesn't appear as though Belichick agrees with my thoughts. That said, it was nice to see Ridley get some good situational carries at a moment when it mattered a lot.

This rbbc group reminds me a lot of the giants group from a few years back. Ridley the (should be anyway) "bellcow," vereen the quicker, 3rd down, receiving threat, and Blount is the hammer (ie, the 280 monster they still have in the roster who's name escapes me atm).

This rbbc group reminds me a lot of the giants group from a few years back. Ridley the (should be anyway) "bellcow," vereen the quicker, 3rd down, receiving threat, and Blount is the hammer (ie, the 280 monster they still have in the roster who's name escapes me atm).

I think you may be thinking of Brandon Jacobs maybe.

I just like to have similar players so we have depth for a game or two.
Woodhead/Vereen, Amendola/Edelman, Dobson/Thompkins, Blount/Ridley,
Gronk/Sudfeld (I hope we scoop up Sudfeld again if we can).

I was surprised when they dumped Mesko for Allen. I thought Mesko was a fine punter and didn't realize there was a problem. It seemed risky but BB knows what he is doing. I thought they should have bought in competition for Ghost rather than the punter but I was wrong there too.

I'd like to see Ridley used more in the earlier part of games and use Blount later in the game as the hammer when defenses are more tired.

I'd like to see Ridley used more in the earlier part of games and use Blount later in the game as the hammer when defenses are more tired.

Definitely agreed.

I disagree that Ridley should be used earlier and that Blount should be the hammer. I feel they had it right and it should be the opposite. Defenses are definitely worn out after dealing with Blount for the first three quarters. This would allow Ridley to do what he does best. Explosive runs straight up the gut with no cuts or bounce outs.

Aside from Ridley's burst through the hole, Blount is just better than him. He has better vision(thats why he can be a kr) and runs through arm tackles on a consistent basis.

Also, I believe our offense would do much better if we could replace Connolly. He doesn't sustain blocks and if you watch closely he looks like he is always in pain, scraping himself off the turf.

Also, I believe our offense would do much better if we could replace Connolly. He doesn't sustain blocks and if you watch closely he looks like he is always in pain, scraping himself off the turf.

Depending on what happens with the Wendell situation, you may get your wish during the offseason. Connelly is decently expensive with a 3 million dollar cap hit next year.

Aside from Ridley's burst through the hole, Blount is just better than him. He has better vision(thats why he can be a kr) and runs through arm tackles on a consistent basis.

To each his own, dm1.

Ridley is definitely the more complete back with the actual shiftiness and speed that can take it to the house on any given play. Blount is a 260 lb power back who can run more physically. I respect the fact that you feel differently though.

As far as Blount being a kick returner with "better vision," the popular thought was due to 3 factors:

1. 50% of kickoffs this year were touchbacks, so the need for a true kick returner has lessened due to the newer rules

2. Blount was playing a position of backup, so he was expendable (this goes hand in hand with reason #3)

3. We simply didn't have anyone else. Boyce was inactive and wasn't worth activating due to returning a kickoff or two per game. McCourty is way too valuable to put on the kick return unit, and Vereen was on IR exempt.

Connolley...get it straight...

first off , he's been playing banged up since September, answers the bell every game and gives an honest effort game in and out.

He's also versatile and can play center and has for stretches. He knows the offense and is rarely flagged.

but yeah...let's just cut him to the curb because...oh, I already forgot..my ADHD just kicked in again but..using my "MASTER NFL GENIUS" decoder ring...I figure the Pats can just get anybody else to do the same thing because I'm a real "KNOWER" of NFL personnel that has yet to be drafted , play a snap in the NFL or just sitting there waiting to be signed.

jeezus krist...a great victory today and all you all want to do is start tearing away at a NEW pinata....it just never stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes