PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Thoughts: I am absolutely disgusted by the Pats tonight edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all agree that Gronk is a lovable dope, and we're really parsing his words this carefully? Trying to decipher what he means by 100%, or whatever? Please. I have no doubt the guy is willing to, and has, played through pain and not being "100%" He is, by all accounts, a damn hard worker and an excellent teammate.

Are we really acting like Rob Gronkowski is one of this team's problems??

We all agree that Gronk is a lovable dope, and we're really parsing his words this carefully? Trying to decipher what he means by 100%, or whatever? Please. I have no doubt the guy is willing to, and has, played through pain and not being "100%" He is, by all accounts, a damn hard worker and an excellent teammate.

Are we really acting like Rob Gronkowski is one of this team's problems??

I think Gronk's father is a team problem, not Gronk. I think the Pats may too. Notice that the press release last week was from the Patriots and the "Gronkowski family".

When Danny Amendola sprained his ankle, they didn't issue a joint press release with Danny and Kay Adams updating his status.

And I think Gronk said 100% specifically for a reason, he said it multiple times like he was coached to make sure he said it that way.

I think Gronk's father is a team problem, not Gronk. I think the Pats may too. Notice that the press release last week was from the Patriots and the "Gronkowski family".

When Danny Amendola sprained his ankle, they didn't issue a joint press release with Danny and Kay Adams updating his status.

And I think Gronk said 100% specifically for a reason, he said it multiple times like he was coached to make sure he said it that way.
That video release was not part of the patriots/gronk inc agreement i believe. They made gronk do the video just so he says 100% a few times . Gronk is not dumb but i dont think he cares to be this media savvy to make these videos. Clearly coached to do so.

This is a total shot in the dark, but I think that Gronk reinjuring his arm in the playoffs a couple years ago may have soured his trust in the Pats' medical staff (or, more accurately, the medical opinions of anyone who's advising in anyone's interests other than his own). Yes, we've changed team doctors since then, but the core lesson--that the team doesn't necessarily have your best long-term interests at heart--may have stuck.

Personally, I'm not going to read too much into the latest stuff he said. If he misses a playoff game that he probably could have taken part in, then I'll be more than ready to condemn him. Until then, I gotta figure that getting him as healthy as we can is probably the best path forward anyway.

This is a total shot in the dark, but I think that Gronk reinjuring his arm in the playoffs a couple years ago may have soured his trust in the Pats' medical staff. Yes, we've changed team doctors since then, but the core lesson: that the team doesn't necessarily have your best long-term interests at heart--may have stuck.

I have always said in these threads that I have absolutely no problem with not trusting team doctors. They have conflicts of interest up the wazoo. Any player on any team would be an absolute fool to trust team doctors without getting (at a minimum) a second, completely-independent-of-the-team opinion.

However, once the team doctor and doctor(s) of Gronk's choosing say he's at a point where his risk of reinjury is no different from the "default" risk of injury you have by virtue of being a TE in the NFL, he'd better get his butt back on the field, whether he's feeling 100% or not.

I have always said in these threads that I have absolutely no problem with not trusting team doctors. They have conflicts of interest up the wazoo. Any player on any team would be an absolute fool to trust team doctors without getting (at a minimum) a second, completely-independent-of-the-team opinion.

However, once the team doctor and doctor(s) of Gronk's choosing say he's at a point where his risk of reinjury is no different from the "default" risk of injury you have by virtue of being a TE in the NFL, he'd better get his butt back on the field, whether he's feeling 100% or not.

Same here. If I put myself in the position of an established player who doesn't have to worry about getting cut, I think it's kind of a no-brainer to trust your own doctors over the team's, and even to specifically distrust team doctors. That's not to say that guys shouldn't play hurt, because that's just not practical in the NFL (everyone's hurt), but when you're dealing with a potentially major injury that could become a worse and/or chronic problem, seeking out your own medical advice from a non-conflicted source seems like a no-brainer.

This game reminds me so much of the MNF game with the Dolphins in 2004. The fish that year was worse then the Eagles. I remember Wes Welker having a few great returns for the fish. The defense looked bad, Tom Brady looked worse and got beat with a 11 point lead with a little over 2 minutes left . Every one was saying that the injuries on defense had caught put with them and there was no way they would get by the Colts and Steelers. Guess what happened on of the greatest playoff runs in NFL history.
I'm going to believe in this team until the end of the season then believe in them again year no matter what. I use to wear Pats stuff (if you could find them) when they were god awful. I use to be ecstatic when they would be a Pats play on one of the blooper films and would think over and over again why didn't Bed Dreith had made the right call (I when to a X-mas party at the local church that day, that was the last time I ever when for a church service).
What they are doing now is like fan heaven.

Hadn't watched the video, but now that I have I think you may be right.

I am not suggesting Gronk should play injured. Gronk seems to insist of waiting until he is completely healed. I think that is where he is wrong. Every other player comes back before they are 100%. Do you think Amendola is 100%? There is a point when an injury is healed enough where you can play even if you are only 85-90%. And Gronk has a knee strain, not an MCL sprain. It is basically a bruise.

As for the deep ball, even if no one is drawing double coverage, Brady and his receivers are not connecting on anything more than 15-20 yards other than a play here and there. The problem is with the depleted receiving corp, they cannot risk using one or two plays a drive on deep balls which are basically wasted downs. They don't have Edelman or Gronk to bail them on on third and longs (and Amendola is not Edelman in this area).

Is it possible that Gronk is just a little embarrassed by all the screaming and rolling around on the ground in pain he did immediately after the apparently serious injury, and this 100% business is a way to add proof that it was serious after all, no matter what the team says?

Anybody have fun with the last five minutes?

Even though every clown play before had given the Eagles a 21 point lead, the offense and the defense came close within one score four minutes later. There was no Brady miracle in the last minute, which unfortunately is what his legend is built upon.

To be fair there could have been a miracle that night but no one could catch jack ****. Brady was delivering each ball directly into the hands of the receivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once the Patriots went up 14-0, I thought for sure that they would feature Blount and the running game with a conservative game script, as he appeared to be running much better than he has for a long time.

Those scoring plays for the Eagles special teams/defense quickly changed that prospect, of course.

Regarding Edelman, given the limited information we have about his injury, do you think he'll really be back in time for the playoffs? And even if he is, how effective do you think will he be relative to his norm?

Sorry just noticed this.

I think knowing what I know which is he had a fracture in a bone of the foot that required surgery to fix. I think he will be back in time for the playoffs, but not sure how effective he will be in his first couple of games back. It is both a mental thing in addition to a physical thing to overcome the injury. I do hope he does not rush back to quick because if it does not heal right or fractures again, depending on what bone it, could become something that plagues him for the rest of his life in terms of pain and minor mobility issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST