Game Thought: A Screw it. This was an unmitigated disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I will get the good out of the way because there really isn't much:
  • LaFell had a good game. Yes, his two big plays were in garbage time, but at least he is getting more up to speed on the offense.
  • The o-line still sucked at times, but it was worlds better than the last few weeks. Flemming needs to get better and Solder still is having difficulties. Still not nearly good enough, but better than previous weeks. Stork played well all game though.
  • Slater is a special teams stud.
  • I gotta say it was a nice debut in garbage time for both Garoppolo and James White. Yeah, I know that it was garbage time against a defense that might have taken the foot off the gas, but they played well none the less. Jimmy G played like we would expect Brady to play - smart decisions and good decisive throws. I am encouraged that he could be the Brady replacement in a few years.
And now the disaster:
  • This game was lost before either team took the field. The game plans were horrendous on both sides of the ball. You run a three receiver set as your base and only dress 3 WRs? The Pats start with aggressive defense and quickly go to a lot of soft zone and off man.
  • The Pats need to dress Thompkins and Dobson. Even after the good night by LaFell, they still may be the best WRs Brady has other than Edelman. As I said with them running a lot of three receiver, one back sets they were much more needed than either Bolden or White.
  • I thought this was the game where Gronk was supposed to get a lot more playing time. He spent a lot of time early on the sidelines where he could have at least been a decoy.
  • There is something off about Brady. His head is not in the game. He is making bad decisions. He has no confidence in the players around him. He is shell shocked. He was absolutely awful. He deserved to be benched. And no Jimmy G is not ready to take over for Brady and let's stop this talk before it starts.
  • Vereen is playing scared. The guy is afraid to fight for extra yards. On a second and three, he stops dead in his tracks where if he could have easily ran through the defender to pick up the first. He did this a lot tonight.
  • The Pats need to let Revis be Revis. He is good CB in this defense, but he could be elite if used correctly. I complained that they had him playing ten yards off Wallace in week one and the response was "You don't play press man against a speed receiver like Wallace". But why was he doing the same thing tonight against Dwayne Bowe? You need to play 10 yards off the line and in zone against a big receiver like Bowe?
  • Ok, whoever the equipment manager is, they need to be fired. Why were the Pats' defenders falling down on every play? Why weren't the Chiefs' players falling down?
  • Chandler Jones started like a stud and became a huge dud after the first drive. He did a crappy job setting the edge and disappeared after the strong start. I don't know why he doesn't draw more blatant holding penalties against him though.
  • This loss falls right at the feet at Belichick. The players played like crap, but the coaching staff set them up for failure. Not excuse to play that bad, but it is the coach's job to put his team in the best position to win and they didn't do anything to remotely do that.
  • This is arguably the worst game Brady/Belichick era. May not be the most costly or the worst loss, but the game where the Pats were so bad in every phase of the game and totally out classed the most. Worse than the 31-0 beat down by the Bills in week one of 2003.
All this said, the Pats are not nearly as bad as they played tonight. And they can turn things around. But it has to start with Belichik, his coaching staff, and Brady.

Let revis be revis for ****s sake bill. Why did you waste 12 mill on him to sti back 10 yards from the LOS. And i don't want to here this is the patriots...not revis team. Then don't resign him next year if this is how you are going to use him...a complete waste of $$ on a guy who we know where he is best...and the pats do..but choose not to use him that way. He will be looking for a new team next off season again

Jones i think was hurt most of that game..his shoulder...could be casue for his horrible play and how it went downhill so fast

the 09 playoff loss to balt was just as bad if not worse IMO since it was playoffs AT home

They made me beleive they would run theball early and often, but they pulled the rug underneat my feet. I was thinking Dev and Ridley were going to be prominent in this game, they sure fooled me and KC.

Let revis be revis for ****s sake bill. Why did you waste 12 mill on him to sti back 10 yards from the LOS. And i don't want to here this is the patriots...not revis team. Then don't resign him next year if this is how you are going to use him...a complete waste of $$ on a guy who we know where he is best...and the pats do..but choose not to use him that way. He will be looking for a new team next off season again

Jones i think was hurt most of that game..his shoulder...could be casue for his horrible play and how it went downhill so fast

the 09 playoff loss to balt was just as bad if not worse IMO since it was playoffs AT home

I said it last year about Revis with Tampa, the way they play him is like buying a Ferrari and never drive over 30 MPH.

At least the 09 playoff game, the Pats made an effort to make it a game even though they failed to. I don't even know if the Pats tried to make the game competitive tonight.

I said it last year about Revis with Tampa, the way they play him is like buying a Ferrari and never drive over 30 MPH.

I will give it another week or two..but if he is still being used like this...he won'ty want to be here next year and will be 100% gone

I will give it another week or two..but if he is still being used like this...he won'ty want to be here next year and will be 100% gone

I was thinking the same thing. People were complaining that if the Pats re-sign McCourty and can't afford it because of it, then they will be pissed (although re-signing McCourty would never preclude the Pats from re-signing Revis). But the thing is Revis is probably frustrated the way he is being used and knows someone will pay to let him play press man and cover the #1 WR all over the field.

Slater might be the best special teamer to ever play the game. He's in the Steve Tasker stratosphere of incredible. I joked about this in the game thread, but I noticed he was one of the few players removed during garbage time - he wasn't in on the last punt - which speaks volumes about how much the coaching staff values him. I thought he would get a ton of credit as the best special teamer in the game after Rex Ryan straight up admitted to simply giving up on punt returns because of him in that one game, but it never really materialized in the media. They don't care, I guess. A gunner who always makes it to the spot where the punt is going before the ball does and is always the first to hit the kickoff returner isn't sexy enough for ESPN. Obviously not true of NFL coaches, though.

When was the last time the Patriots were bad for 5 consecutive games? Going back go the Championship game, that's what's happening now.

A poorly coached defense, declining QB playing behind a poor OL with average (at best) receivers...that is not a good combo to have.

There's problems with this team that can't be fixed over night, but the cracks can be papered over for now and sorted at the end of the season.

I was thinking the same thing. People were complaining that if the Pats re-sign McCourty and can't afford it because of it, then they will be pissed (although re-signing McCourty would never preclude the Pats from re-signing Revis). But the thing is Revis is probably frustrated the way he is being used and knows someone will pay to let him play press man and cover the #1 WR all over the field.

Yep. Next 2 weeks will be deciding factor if we have a shot at keeping him next year or not. If i were him...i woundn't want to stay here

Why isn't Ridley getting more carries than Vereen, why are Thompkins and Dobson inactive every game, why hasn't Solder stopped playing like an absolute dumpster fire, why is the defense still playing so damn soft in coverage, and why was everyone falling to the ground?

Re: Revis - you ask your players to play zone when you don't have confidence you can't stop the run and screen.

If we played man our CBs would be useless against the run offenses gashing the front 7.

Re: Revis - you ask your players to play zone when you don't have confidence you can't stop the run and screen.

If we played man our CBs would be useless against the run offenses gashing the front 7.

Opposed to how they gashed the defense in zone coverage?

Why isn't Ridley getting more carries than Vereen, why are Thompkins and Dobson inactive every game, why hasn't Solder stopped playing like an absolute dumpster fire, why is the defense still playing so damn soft in coverage, and why was everyone falling to the ground?

The Vereen thing was pretty simple: the gameplan called for a ton of draw plays to counterbalance the fact that the Chiefs have two superior edge rushers, a dominant nose tackle, and the Patriots had two rookies on the interior line.

It didn't work, but that was clearly the thought.

The trend continues......Brady's mid/long passes are atrocious.....sad but true

In the last two decades I've watched football every Sunday it was on. I've been around tons of fans from other teams and heard them say things like "Fire <OC or DC name here>!" I've never uttered these words until today. Matt Patricia and Josh McDaniels are ****ing pathetic. Our team is talented. Patricia and McDaniels are just ****ing clueless.

Also, I don't give a crap who our QB is as long as we are winning games.

All game long I just wanted to see one of our players hit someone with some meaning. What is all this finesse tackling? HIT SOMEONE.

After watching the game, i'm not sure how we beat the raiders.This team has some soul-searching to do.

• Vereen is playing scared. The guy is afraid to fight for extra yards. On a second and three, he stops dead in his tracks where if he could have easily ran through the defender to pick up the first. He did this a lot tonight................

The 3rd and 1 with 5:30 left in the 3rd quarter was the worst one. He literally slows down to a slow jog when he spots the defender almost 20 yards in front of him. It was like watching a point guard slowing down a fast break to wait for the rest of the offense to get down the court. He turned what could have been a 40 yard play into a 25 yard play.

ummm we got killed in zone....couldn't be any worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back