PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gaffney's play changes the face of the offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I've been whining about the lack of a deep game nearly all season - and how it impacts the way D's can stack 8 men in the box, bringing the Safeties forward.

It impacts the running game, and the short game and the mid-game - and limits the yards after catches for those players too.

Gaffney's play today, averaging 13 yards a catch with a long of 31 has, and will have, some major ripple effects in the way that Defenses have to scheme for us in the playoffs.

Caldwell's big play last week won't go unnoticed either. I don't think we have their full respect in the long game quite yet, but I think they are beginning to figure out we'll burn them badly if they don't at least keep one safety back.

One can't understimate what this means for our playoff chances. Hat's off to the players for making the plays and the coaches for making the good calls to make all this happen.

I've been whining about the lack of a deep game nearly all season - and how it impacts the way D's can stack 8 men in the box, bringing the Safeties forward.

It impacts the running game, and the short game and the mid-game - and limits the yards after catches for those players too.

Gaffney's play today, averaging 13 yards a catch with a long of 31 has, and will have, some major ripple effects in the way that Defenses have to scheme for us in the playoffs.

Caldwell's big play last week won't go unnoticed either. I don't think we have their full respect in the long game quite yet, but I think they are beginning to figure out we'll burn them badly if they don't at least keep one safety back.

One can't understimate what this means for our playoff chances. Hat's off to the players for making the plays and the coaches for making the good calls to make all this happen.

I thought today was all about finding the mismatch. Next week it will be someone different. but he was great today. props

I think you are right Joe. What an impressive game. He and Caldwell are doing very well now that they settled down.

Let's not forget about CJ today. He made some big plays. What??? He didn't catch the ball!!! Very true, however Brady used CJ to force the Jets to get back to the blitz. When the Jest laid off the blitz Brady went long three times which forced the Jest to not sit back and wait. Brady wanted the blitz to come tso he could pick it apart just like they did in practice all week. CJ allowed for this to happen.

Ditto Mr. Bigglesworth on this one. We're not going to find that one guy they need to account for... they need to account for all of them. Otherwise the guy not locked down will come up big. That's the basic philosophy of this offense.... but again, I agree -- props to #10!

PFnV

I think you are right Joe. What an impressive game. He and Caldwell are doing very well now that they settled down.

Let's not forget about CJ today. He made some big plays. What??? He didn't catch the ball!!! Very true, however Brady used CJ to force the Jets to get back to the blitz. When the Jest laid off the blitz Brady went long three times which forced the Jest to not sit back and wait. Brady wanted the blitz to come tso he could pick it apart just like they did in practice all week. CJ allowed for this to happen.

I love to see they have confidence in CJ to throw to him. Miller is fast. I think Barrett was on him on another play. I don't know if the chargers have a db as fast, but one of these days he's gonna make a huge play.

Great to see they haven't given up on him and Brady looked to him.

I agree I've got to give credit to both Gaffney and Caldwell but this offesne would be SO much better if it featured a true #1 WR. Hopefully next season we'll have such a weapon but, for now, it is what it is. Hopefully it'll be enough as we face the top defensive minds and personnel this league has to offer. From this point on any positional weakness will surely be exploited.

I thought Gaffney would be a good singing. I hope he's on the roster next year.

I remember when we signed Gaffney some people disagreed with me when I said I thought he would be a decent receiver for us. He has even exceeded my expectations. GO PATS!!

The Hut has greatly exceeded my expectations. I'd say great game had he held on to the TD and had he kept the 1st down instead of retreating and killing the drive. The guy came off the street in October and than came to play in his 1st playoff game. Major props to The Hut!

Wow, great game by Gaffney today. Didn't see that coming, but he could be a huge difference maker in the playoffs - I knew either he or CJ were going to (and needed to) step up, and it looks like Gaffney is.

I thought today was all about finding the mismatch. Next week it will be someone different. but he was great today. props
You mean the Jets were focused on Caldwell and the TEs? They were packing the middle and allowing the outside? Is this why the one slant went to Caldwell in the zone crease surrounded by more Jets than I had fingers to count off? I'm so confused by all this.

You mean the Jets were focused on Caldwell and the TEs? They were packing the middle and allowing the outside? Is this why the one slant went to Caldwell in the zone crease surrounded by more Jets than I had fingers to count off? I'm so confused by all this.

I think at the beginning Andre Dyson clearly could not cover him which is why the Jets pulled Dyson shortly.

I would say in general Gaffney was drawing the weaker cb.

on another note, I thought it funny how simms said mickens was the best nickleback he's seen yet he was on the street at the beginning of the season

I dont know who it was but someone on here with a topic of surpirse playoff performer said Gaffney would step up. and he sure did, was great to see him get into the action as well as caldwell getting his normal balls. Also was very happy to see them air it out deep a few times to Jackson, even though they didnt connect, it forces the defense to be ready for it and will draw a PI call every now and then.

Reche who? Sincere congratuations to Gaffney for going for over 100 yards in a playoff game. He is under contract for next season, but I would like to see the Pat's sign him to a long-term contract.

Gil Brandt of nfl.com writes "Gaffney's father was an eighth-round pick and played eight seasons with the Jets."

Jackson had a key play to avoid a pick after Brady threw short to him.

Last edited:
Gaffney stepped up. The entire Pats offense stepped up. Brady spread the ball around again but yes Gaffney was a big part of the Pats offensive success today. I also don't think you can underestimate the impact of the Pats running game. Dillon was running like a man possessed. And I think that series in which the Pats ran like what 4 straight dive plays for two 1st downs, that really impacted the way the Jets had to react to the Pats offense and freed up the pass.

So a great effort by everyone. I hope that Gaffney can step up next game too, and hopefully Caldwell since he is having a homecoming game of sorts against his former team. Go Pats! Great day for the offense overall.

Also was very happy to see them air it out deep a few times to Jackson, even though they didnt connect, it forces the defense to be ready for it and will draw a PI call every now and then.

That second pass to CJ was PI about eight times along his route.

Part of me is happy that the Pats wideouts aren't whiny bytches who get up and look around for the flag (Bears WRs...), but the truth is, the referee is a weak species, and if they see a wideout bytch and moan, they will cave to the enormous peer pressure. CJ got flat out mugged on that play.

Ir would've been interesting to see the results of those 2 deep balls to CJ if Brady had had time to really step into his throws - he seemed to be rushed on both passes so it didn;t seem that either got enough loft under it.

I hope that Gaffney can step up next game too, and hopefully Caldwell since he is having a homecoming game of sorts against his former team. Go Pats! Great day for the offense overall.

Good point!

Gaffney's route running and the speed with which he picked up the Patriots offense and got Brady's confidence is outstanding.

Both him and Reche have turned out well for the Pats.....although a large dose of that credit has to go to Brady too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes