Full Monty

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
From Reis' blog, it sounds like he's been working hard :

"* Patriots inside linebacker Monty Beisel, a candidate to start next to Tedy Bruschi in 2006, has added bulk to his frame and is now around 248 pounds. “I’ve been working real hard, cut down some of my body fat some, and was able to put on eight, nine pounds,†he said earlier this week during a break from the team’s offseason program at Gillette Stadium. “You get a little thicker, increase some speed and strength, and just become a better overall player. I feel year in and year out, if you’re not getting better in this league, you’re falling behind. I’ve made a lot of transitions with my body, from year one to going into year six, as far as weight, body fat percentages and all that. I’m just trying to find where my body feels best and where I need to play at the optimum level.€"

I find your sig an interesting juxtaposition to the main text. Count me in among those who question Beisel's toughness and willingness to mix it up. I'm really hoping to see a brand new Monty this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Gotta appreciate the dedication there. Last year he was what 239? And now he's 248? That's a heck of a transition to gain almost 10 lbs. We talk about it all the time like yeah that rook needs to put on 10 lbs but it takes a lot of dedication and dieting to actually make that happen.

Well if this is what Beisel has been busy doing in the offseason, I'm looking forward to seeing how that hard work pays off this year. Maybe that is one REASON why BB wasn't looking that hard for a LB. I think BB and the coaching staff might have had knowledge about this and I think they are counting on Beisel as winning one of the starting ILB jobs.

BelichickFan said:
From Reis' blog, it sounds like he's been working hard :

"* Patriots inside linebacker Monty Beisel, a candidate to start next to Tedy Bruschi in 2006, has added bulk to his frame and is now around 248 pounds. “I’ve been working real hard, cut down some of my body fat some, and was able to put on eight, nine pounds,†he said earlier this week during a break from the team’s offseason program at Gillette Stadium. “You get a little thicker, increase some speed and strength, and just become a better overall player. I feel year in and year out, if you’re not getting better in this league, you’re falling behind. I’ve made a lot of transitions with my body, from year one to going into year six, as far as weight, body fat percentages and all that. I’m just trying to find where my body feels best and where I need to play at the optimum level.â€"

Good for him, 248 lbs. is a respectable sized ILB. I just hope he has worked as hard on his fundamentals and learning the playbook.

Last edited:
If he really is a "PR guy" he knows how badly he botched up his football career last year...

..not just in his inability to quickly learn the system - lots of guys deal with that and eventually pick it up - but with his frustrated reaction to his situation and lash out at a reporter

Seeing him take up the challenge in this way is a very encouraging sign - but all the bulk and talent in the world won't matter if he can't pick up the system and can't control himself

Hopefully he can improve in both of those areas as well - if not the team would do him a favor by letting him go and catch on in a system that works for him

JoeSixPat said:
but all the bulk and talent in the world won't matter if he can't pick up the system
Well Pees' quote at the draft was encouraging in this respect. Maybe the combination of that plus some added bulk will get him where he needs to be. We can hope, anyway, that's what the offseason is for.

VJCPatriot said:
Wow. Gotta appreciate the dedication there. Last year he was what 239? And now he's 248? That's a heck of a transition to gain almost 10 lbs.

Gaining ten pounds is NOTHING.

Oh, you mean ten pounds of MUSCLE. Never mind. :D

oldrover said:
Gaining ten pounds is NOTHING.

Oh, you mean ten pounds of MUSCLE. Never mind. :D
LMAO . . . good one :D

JoeSixPat said:
..not just in his inability to quickly learn the system - lots of guys deal with that and eventually pick it up - but with his frustrated reaction to his situation and lash out at a reporter
Who cares? If he can play MLB and let Vrabel go back outside, he can lash out at reporters all day long if he wants.

If he can't play MLB, then I don't care how nice he is to reporters.

I never questioned his toughness. You don't play DE in the Big 12 & NFL without being tough. Does anyone actually think that BB & SP would have even considered him as a FA if he wasn't tough?

I hope he learns how to play the position and has the awareness to play the position. That is the only thing that I question about Monte.

BTW, have you seen his wife?:rocker:

I see big things for Beisel this year. It's no easy task learning to play ILB in this system and with a year under his belt, I think we'll see a ton of improvement in Beisel over last year. Whether he plays next to Bruschi with Vrabel outside or he backs up Bruschi, I beleive he's gonna play a solid role in the defense next year.

I was in France last semester...so I didn't see any Pats games on TV until the middle of December, and by then it seems like Beisel was sort of faded out. Can someone tell me what the heck he was so bad at? Obviously it is an opinion shared by most out there, but what does he need to improve on?

I'm still pissed off at him for throwing Duane Starks under the bus.

......that's OUR job!

I'm glad he is putting in the work to get better. I was really down on him last year and would love to change my mind. Truthfully he has to improve quick or he won't make the team. He does nothing for special teams so his ticket is at ILB. Hopefully Claridge can give him a run for his money for the ILB job.

tatepatsfan said:
I was in France last semester...so I didn't see any Pats games on TV until the middle of December, and by then it seems like Beisel was sort of faded out. Can someone tell me what the heck he was so bad at?
Football, mostly.

Actually, I thought he got better as the season wore on. In the beginning he was out of position or overrunning plays a lot, running into the wrong hole, etc. He also did not seem to be able to get off a block, even by a tight end. The extra 10# of muscle should help.

I have a feeling that Beisel will have a decent season this year. There was alot of talk of him becoming the next DE to become a solid LB such as mcginest. I remember reading that Kansas City was upset that they lost him because they felt that he was primed to breakout. Hopefully this year will be the year. He seems like he is very upset about how he played, and what the fans thought about his performance last season. Maybe all the dislike towards him caused him to work harder and finally get the right body to be able to have that breakout season.

Monty

At the end of last year he seemed to be stepping up. I remember a few times that he had great pressure up the middle. Plus, his name was mentioned less, which is a good thing. No news is good news (unless a sack or INT) for LB's.

TOP SIX AND 95% OF REPS AS OF NOW
Beisel is our starter as of now. We have four veteran starters, and a veteran role player in Banta-Cain. I'll do a strange thing, I'll add Alexander as the #3 ILB for now. It a good start. These are known quantities. The starting six should get 95% of the reps of the linebackers.
----------------------------------------------------
If someone can step up and beat out these guys, then great. That is what the patriots are about. As aj has said, the third OLB doesn't play much, and the 3rd ILB plays even less. Of course, sometimes Green and/or Seymour are linebackers.
---------------------------------------------------------
AND OF COURSE WE NEED DEPTH
The question is how many (not counting Izzo and Davis who didn't play much, if at all, except for the Miami game).

Hopefully CLARIDGE beats out Alexander for a place in the top six; otherwise we'll start yelling "bust".

In any case, we have the following players probably competing for the same spot: Mincey, Gardner, Lloyd, and Alexander/Claridge. One coould steal a STer spot, but personally I don't see it happening. I's rather have Izzo and Don Davis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes