PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agency - Week One

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all good so far as we end DAY FOUR of free agency (out of 50 before the draft)

Week One Still Isn't Over
-----------------------
Patten
Neal
Wilfork
Banta-Cain
Bodden
==============

OUR OWN STILL OUT THERE (decisions to be made, perhaps this week)
Faulk
Watson
Burgess
Green

ADDITIONAL FOCUS THIS WEEK (lots of rumors and visits)
Wide receiver
Tight end
Defensive end

As for what people deserve, that's just typical homer idiocy on your part.

Nah, in this case he's right on. Anyone who's complaining about Kraft being 'cheap' should go try being a fan somewhere else for a while. Preferably in one of the many cities where the taxpayer is on the hook for the stadium cost and the team sucks anyways.

Nah, in this case he's right on. Anyone who's complaining about Kraft being 'cheap' should go try being a fan somewhere else for a while. Preferably in one of the many cities where the taxpayer is on the hook for the stadium cost and the team sucks anyways.

Didn't one of the media folks report that the Patriots were never even interested in Boldin?

Two more days left of Week One. The most likely possibilities seem to be Faulk or a tight end by week's end.

Colts castoffs?

Hey, first post here. Longtime Pats fans, but despite watching virtually every game, I'll be the first to admit that I don't have anywhere near a full comprehension of the various defensive and offensive schemes that exist, and how various players fit in -- same goes for the NFL's cap.

So I'm curious what people think the potential fit of some of the Colts' cuts could be here -- namely Raheem Brock, Ryan Lilja and Marlin Jackson (coming off injury).

We have one more day left in Week One of free agency.

Week One Still Isn't Over
-----------------------
(Patten)
Neal
Wilfork
Banta-Cain
Bodden
Faulk
==============

OUR OWN STILL OUT THERE
Watson
Burgess

ADDITIONAL FOCUS THIS WEEK (lots of rumors and visits)
Wide receiver
Tight end
Defensive end

Last edited:
Re: Colts castoffs?

Hey, first post here. Longtime Pats fans, but despite watching virtually every game, I'll be the first to admit that I don't have anywhere near a full comprehension of the various defensive and offensive schemes that exist, and how various players fit in -- same goes for the NFL's cap.

So I'm curious what people think the potential fit of some of the Colts' cuts could be here -- namely Raheem Brock, Ryan Lilja and Marlin Jackson (coming off injury).

Jackson intrigues me. His knees are a concern though.

Don't think Brock or Lilja are fits here.

Jackson intrigues me. His knees are a concern though.

Don't think Brock or Lilja are fits here.

Jackson's clearly an injury concern, but for the right deal I wonder if he's worth the risk. (Granted, I don't know if there's a deal to be had.)

Lilja -- because he's too small?

Brock -- Why is that? Physical question, such as injury, or style of play?

Jackson's clearly an injury concern, but for the right deal I wonder if he's worth the risk. (Granted, I don't know if there's a deal to be had.)

Lilja -- because he's too small?

Brock -- Why is that? Physical question, such as injury, or style of play?

Jackson's not available. He's already signed with the Eagles.

The team announced Wednesday they agreed to terms with the former Colts cornerback on a two-year contract. It's believed the Eagles will convert Jackson to free safety. If that doesn't work, the team will have a surplus of well-paid cornerbacks.

Marlin Jackson, Eagles agree on two-year deal | ProFootballTalk.com

I don't think that anyone here thught that by the end of week one the Pats would have re-signed Vince, TBC, Bodden, Neal, and now Faulk.

Granted I think that we all would have liked a big UFA signing, but at what price? Keeping Vince and Bodden really open up the Pats for the draft by not leaving any giant holes that need to be filled. Now the Pats can concetrate on DE/OLB.

Now hopefully they can resing Watson

Watson and Burgess seem likely to be next, even if we are looking to sign additional free agents at those positions.

I don't think that anyone here thught that by the end of week one the Pats would have re-signed Vince, TBC, Bodden, Neal, and now Faulk.

Granted I think that we all would have liked a big UFA signing, but at what price? Keeping Vince and Bodden really open up the Pats for the draft by not leaving any giant holes that need to be filled. Now the Pats can concetrate on DE/OLB.

Now hopefully they can resing Watson

No, it wouldn't have precluded them from completing the trade for Boldin and his $8.3 million a year extension.

But do you really not see that trading for a player to the tune of $8.3 million a season might have had some impact on their negotiations with Wilfork, especially as the Patriots let Wilofk remain in limbo under the franchise tag while they were spending that sort of money?

The Pats made their play for Boldin - it wasn't in that ballpark, and they clearly decided that securing Wilfork at $8 million a year was a higher priority than signing Boldin at $8.3 million a year... if they even valued him that high currently, which I doubt they did.

In other words, if Wilfork and his agent watch the Pats trade for players and give them that sort of money, do you think that might possibly drive Wilfork's price higher? Or lower?

the acquisition of moss and adalius thomas didn't affect negotiations of other players

the pats could have gotten boldin, and extended him, and 2010 would have been the only year he and moss would have overlapped (I believe moss will be gone after next year)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News