Florio with a surprising scoop on the future of Brees and the Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regular season passing:

Taysom Hill 6/13 119 yards, 1 int, 46.6 qbrating
Julian Edelman 4/4 90 yards, 1 TD, 158.3 rating

:D
Judging Hill on 13 passes is absurd.

Starting to think this thread should contain a poll. I think the report is accurate in that a trusted Source from the Saints did feed the story to Florio. But are the intentions to get some sucker team to fork over a first round pick for Taysom? Maybe they’re going to tender him at that level in hopes of some team biting.

There are few QBs in the NFL who wouldn’t complete 70%+ of their passes in New Orleans. I’ve been saying this for the last few years without trying to sound exactly like a Brady hater and use the “system” argument because it sounds petty. But seriously, watch how wide open everyone is, how many dump offs they throw to RBs, the protection and talent in that offense. It’s been apparent the last few seasons that Brees is not good when he’s forced to throw downfield with any type of velocity. I’m sure I’m oversimplifying this, but it is obvious to me that this is like Peyton in 2014. All great with the bubble screens, and he was even setting records in 2013, but in reality his arm was falling off. Brees’s numbers are largely built on easy, short passes and obviously the veteran intelligence to know how to move the chains.
So which of those statements aren’t also true about the NE offense most years?

So which of those statements aren’t also true about the NE offense most years?

You’re not wrong...except Brady can still beat you over the top and especially in that most important area of the 15-20 yard laser into a tight window. And those throws tend to become more critical in the postseason when teams tighten up against YAC. If you watch both AFCCGs from 2018, it’s very easy to see the stark difference.

Brady tends to rank closer to the middle or even the the bottom when it comes to dump offs (passes behind LOS to RBs), if you look at PFF, whereas Brees is always near the top. That’s why the completion percentage is very different.

Brees’s arm strength has really cost the Saints recently in postseason games.

yeah but two years ago he played a whole season, this year he played what like half the games? so it makes sense his arm didn't die quite the same way, it had half the wear on it by postseason time
That is a good point.

Why does he remind you of Jackson? Because he runs? Jackson can throw the ball, too. Hill’s never proven he can do that outside of gadget plays that, by design, get the safeties to bite on something underneath.

Yup, that’s why I said “some” LJ.

Judging Hill on 13 passes is absurd.

It goes both ways though. That body of work can't possibly make someone think he could be a full time QB.

I’m more concerned with his injury history. The last time he was a full time starter in college 3 of his seasons were cut short due to injuries.

Now that you mention it, Edelman reminds me a bit of Jackson, too.

2 attempts
2 completions
47 yards
1 TD
QB Rating: 138.5

Put Brady at receiver?

Brees’s numbers are largely built on easy, short passes and obviously the veteran intelligence to know CFD how to move the chains.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that!

Dunno...I am no professional football scout...but my eyes tell me that Brees has lost some of his fast ball and has declined more than Brady has.

Again, that is my opinion based on watching Brees play over the last 2-3 seasons.
He's coming off the two highest rated seasons of his career and has had a rating over 100 for 5 straight years. I don't think he's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back