Florio with a surprising scoop on the future of Brees and the Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Drew Brees’ retirement talk isn’t idle chatter

As one source explained it to PFT, the Saints wants Brees back for what would essentially become a transition year, from Brees to Taysom Hill with Hill becoming the starter in 2021. Even if Brees comes back, Hill will be used much more extensively as part of the team’s offense in 2020 — especially in light of some private regret that, if Hill had been utilized just a little bit more in the wild-card loss to the Vikings, the Saints quite likely would have won the game.

Brees has said he’ll take a month or so to make a decision, and it should surprise no one if Brees decides to walk away. Whatever he does, the Saints will need a plan for keeping Hill, a restricted free agent who could generate plenty of interest if available to be signed to an offer sheet, even with a first-round pick as compensation.

This all sounds absurd to me. Mohamed Sanu had more passing yards in his first three seasons than Taysom Hill does.

I find it exceptionally hard to believe that Taysom Hill is their QBOTF.

Dunno...I am no professional football scout...but my eyes tell me that Brees has lost some of his fast ball and has declined more than Brady has.

Again, that is my opinion based on watching Brees play over the last 2-3 seasons.

If Brees retires, Brady and the Saints would be a great match.

Resorting to Hill would be incredibly risky though. His effectiveness is related to being a gadget player (not that it's a bad thing). It wouldn't translate to the same amount of success if he were QB #1.

I find it exceptionally hard to believe that Taysom Hill is their QBOTF.

Well, Hill has some Lamar Jackson in his game....not out of the realm of possibility given that the Saints have Kamara and Murray to mix into a heavy rushing offense....

Hill will be 31 years old at the start of 2021. Who is he handling the torch to?

Taysom Hill as a franchise QB is one of the most ridiculously stupid football ideas I've ever heard. It is also the consensus opinion on Saints forums, and if this report is to be believed, the team itself.

Taysom Hill as a franchise QB is one of the most ridiculously stupid football ideas I've ever heard. It is also the consensus opinion on Saints forums, and if this report is to be believed, the team itself.

I’d be shocked but I think Florio believes it’s credible or wouldn’t have posted it. Usually when he serves up a garbage story, he’ll put “Report” in front of it as a disclaimer. In this one he says PFT was in direct contact with the source.

I’d be shocked but I think Florio believes it’s credible or wouldn’t have posted it. Usually when he serves up a garbage story, he’ll put “Report” in front of it as a disclaimer. In this one he says PFT was in direct contact with the source.

I can't speak on Florio's credibility (less of an articles guy than most here) but while his report might not agree with our sensibilities, it does agree with the other evidence I've seen online. Mostly referring to Saints fan forum posts.

I don't have a hard time believing it's true. The difficulty is understanding why anyone is so high on Hill.

There are few QBs in the NFL who wouldn’t complete 70%+ of their passes in New Orleans. I’ve been saying this for the last few years without trying to sound exactly like a Brady hater and use the “system” argument because it sounds petty. But seriously, watch how wide open everyone is, how many dump offs they throw to RBs, the protection and talent in that offense. It’s been apparent the last few seasons that Brees is not good when he’s forced to throw downfield with any type of velocity. I’m sure I’m oversimplifying this, but it is obvious to me that this is like Peyton in 2014. All great with the bubble screens, and he was even setting records in 2013, but in reality his arm was falling off. Brees’s numbers are largely built on easy, short passes and obviously the veteran intelligence to know how to move the chains.

I can't speak on Florio's credibility (less of an articles guy than most here) but while his report might not agree with our sensibilities, it does agree with the other evidence I've seen online. Mostly referring to Saints fan forum posts.

I don't have a hard time believing it's true. The difficulty is understanding why anyone is so high on Hill.
Better off with Bridgewater

Hill is 31, so what, QBs play much longer than that with the nfl's flag football rules for QBs.

Dunno...I am no professional football scout...but my eyes tell me that Brees has lost some of his fast ball and has declined more than Brady has.

Again, that is my opinion based on watching Brees play over the last 2-3 seasons.

totally agree. I would totally bet Brady would’ve out had an mvp type season had he played for the saints

There are few QBs in the NFL who wouldn’t complete 70%+ of their passes in New Orleans. I’ve been saying this for the last few years without trying to sound exactly like a Brady hater and use the “system” argument because it sounds petty. But seriously, watch how wide open everyone is, how many dump offs they throw to RBs, the protection and talent in that offense. It’s been apparent the last few seasons that Brees is not good when he’s forced to throw downfield with any type of velocity. I’m sure I’m oversimplifying this, but it is obvious to me that this is like Peyton in 2014. All great with the bubble screens, and he was even setting records in 2013, but in reality his arm was falling off. Brees’s numbers are largely built on easy, short passes and obviously the veteran intelligence to know how to move the chains.

It’s the talent around him. The last few years he’s had great backs and a great line. Low key the unger for graham trade turned things around for them

Hill is 31, so what, QBs play much longer than that with the nfl's flag football rules for QBs.

As pocket passers, sure. But we're talking about a guy whose entire thing is running fast and being a good athlete in general. It's why he's better off as a positionless offensive weapon in the first place. They have a good thing with him already, no need to mess it up. He could be as good a WR as Edelman.

You are correct Sir.

2 seasons in a row that Brees has faded down the stretch. His arm is tired.

You are correct Sir.

2 seasons in a row that Brees has faded down the stretch. His arm is tired.

He had the energy of 1,000 men and was flexing in that 29/30 record breaking game against the mathematically eliminated, hapless Colts. Like dunking on a 5’3” guy who has a torn ACL. But I’d better be careful lest the Saints secret police pay me a visit for insulting “the goat”.

This will either be amazing or fail horribly. Either way, I’m here for it. If Payton likes what he sees behind the scenes, who knows maybe he can do it.

Bridgewater is solid but has a low ceiling. Taysom, who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back