PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Saints could be a sleeper in the Jimmy G chase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupofjoe1962

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
The Patriots and Saints practices together last summer before our preseason game.

Belichick has a good relationship with Sean Peyton.

Jimmy G had a good game against the Saints during the preseason

Sean Peyton is on the record as saying they are in the QB market.

Even with Drew Brees, Sean Payton admits Saints are always looking for quarterbacks

Peyton and Garoppalo are both from Eastern Illinois & Peyton praised Garoppalo in the past

Tony Romo, Sean Payton have prais for QB Jimmy Garoppolo

Yes, I know the Saints have Drew Brees, but the Saints are not in a position at this time to challenge for a title.

It would make sense for the Saints to move Brees while he still has value and get their QB of the future.

What would a team like Denver or Houston give for Brees?

If they could get a 2nd round pick in 2017 for Brees & a third in 2018,
The Saints may be willing to part with there 1st round pick in 2017.

The Patriots reportedly offered the Saints Jamie Collins for Brandon Cooks.

Adam Schefter: Cooks trade target in offseason, almost traded for Jamie Collins

The Saints are also rumored to be interested in trading Cooks who like Garoppalo is on the last year of his rookie deal.

Saints Could Explore Brandin Cooks Trade

Belichick praised Cooks during the joint practice last summer. Even if this is a 1 year rental, the Patriots would get a 3rd round comp pick for Cooks if he left.

Would the Patriots take Cooks & a first round pick or Cooks & 2 second round picks for Garoppalo?

I may be off on the compensation, but I would not be surprised if the Saints are in the mix.

True BB and Payton are close! I just don't see the Saints making a move for Jimmy G. At least not with Brees still playing at a elite level. I'll love to see what JG would look like playing in a Payton offense though!

No way. Unless they plan to trade Brees this year or next as well they will not trade for Jimmy.

Where are they getting the top 3 pick to get in on the bidding?

The Saints are tied to Brees and should be as he's meant so much to that franchise and community.

My dark horse destination for Garoppolo is Washington. There seems to be a hesitancy to pay Kirk Cousins long term and the 2nd Year franchise tag is awfully steep.

Kyle Shanahan coached Cousins in Washington and was rumored to want to trade for him when he was OC in Cleveland, so if he makes a move to acquire Cousins to be the 49ers QB where would the Redskins turn to replace him? In theory, the would have the picks to trade for Garoppolo with what they get from San Francisco, and he would be their best option.

Also, with Garoppolo still being on his first contract and being less experienced than Cousins, Washington could gain some extra cap space to resign Jackson, Garçon, and improve their defense.

Where are they getting the top 3 pick to get in on the bidding?

Let me know when they get a top 3 pick.

Many on this board thought we were going to get Kansas City's #3 overall pick in the 2009 draft for Cassell.

We got a 2nd round pick for Cassell.

Let me know when they get a top 3 pick.

Many on this board thought we were going to get Kansas City's #3 overall pick in the 2009 draft for Cassell.

We got a 2nd round pick for Cassell.

The Saints pick is #11, which certainly allows them to be competitive. Since the Saints aren't likely to be a competitor for a SB next year, trading Brees while he still has value, while getting your long term answer at QB is not a crazy thought.

Ill just post what I did. I agree with cupo. This is a real posibility.

Mary Kay Cabot is Talking Up Jimmy G's Trade Value

Brees is tided to NO, but football is football, and if you get a better trade you have to take it. One thing I learned from BB. SP is in BB's inner circle, and Im pretty sure a Micheal Thomas trade would seal the deal, but after what cooks did last season he would be a pretty big weapon in the patriots arsenal, and BB might be rethinking things. I agree with Gr8est also that BB wants Jimmy on a NFC team.
One thing SP does is creates a very good WR core, and thats tradable

Saints have ultimate combo at WR: Young, cheap and really good

My other comments are in the post above, thanks guys.. and No NO will not trade Micheal Thomas for Jimmy. That Im sure of.

Last edited:
The Saints pick is #11, which certainly allows them to be competitive. Since the Saints aren't likely to be a competitor for a SB next year, trading Brees while he still has value, while getting your long term answer at QB is not a crazy thought.

The question isn't one of getting value, it's one of avoiding salary cap hell.

A crazier thought is waiting for Brees to get old enough that his skills diminish to a point where he has no value & he retires.

Then your in New York Jet land going from QB to QB patch work for decades.

If Jimmy G has to go, I'd love for it to be to the Saints.

Though I'd hate to see Brees go...a truly likeable guy who can still play.

Doubt this trade happens because the Saints still need to reinforce their defense which has been garbage for several years now, also they need to get a better O-line if they want Brees to last another year or two.

They got way too many wholes on both ends and trading for JG is not going to help them one bit at least not this upcoming season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back