PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio predicts Jets over Pats in the AFC East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady is coming off his best season yet, they bolstered their OL in the draft, they improved their receiving corps from last year, the young TE's have a year of experience to go on, they added two young quality RB's in the draft, they radically improved their front 7 and pass rush through free agency and are building upon the youngest defense in the league and they won 14 games in a rebuilding year, how Florio comes to the conclusion they are going backwards is nothing short of mind boggling and really comes across more like wishful thinking or simple Felgerian contrarianism. While most don't expect them to win 14 in the regular season again I also think most who follow them closely expect the end result and the team itself to be better than last years version, and for good reasons, not just wishful thinking.

How can he be allowed to say such things? We need an inventory of every prognosticator and those who downgrade our beloved pats must be deluged with complaints. HOW DARE THEY!

Jets could very well win over our beloved pats...see last game vs. detroit, giving teams a blueprint on how to manhandle our boys. It's up to the pats to prove themselves better and hopefully they will improve (see detroit game)....but until then it's all meaningless.

How can he be allowed to say such things? We need an inventory of every prognosticator and those who downgrade our beloved pats must be deluged with complaints. HOW DARE THEY!

Jets could very well win over our beloved pats...see last game vs. detroit, giving teams a blueprint on how to manhandle our boys. It's up to the pats to prove themselves better and hopefully they will improve (see detroit game)....but until then it's all meaningless.

You are even dumber than Florio

No wonder he makes sense to you.

You are even dumber than Florio

No wonder he makes sense to you.

It's like everyone here has selective amnesia about the fact that the Jets beat us 2 out of 3 games last year.

Remember all the times the Colts would have a better record than us and we'd go 'who cares, it's all about who goes further in the post season'?

Well, the same logic applies when we're the ones getting bounced out of the postseason after racking up a gaudy regular-season wins record.

I don't think the Jets unseat us this year but honestly I think the Pats have a lot more to prove than people here are giving them credit for.

George W. Bush was still in office the last time we won a postseason game.

Sanchez has played for 2 years, inconsistency to be expected, he will only get better.
That's a big assumption. For the Jets offense to improve he just can't be AS good as last year. He has to take a SIGNIFICANT jump in passing efficiency.

Sanchez benefited from one of the best run games in the league. What if that run game isn't the same kind of threat that it was the past 2 years.

Let me ask you 2 questions about Sanchez from this pre season, Ray and answer it as truthfully as you can. Do you believe that he's anymore accurate THIS year than he as been in the past? Does the OL look as good in the running game as it has in the past?

Greene hasn't missed any games because of injury.
Well Greene has missed 3 games in his career. If he wasn't injured, why didn't he play? But that's beside the point. There are a number of questions you have to have about your running attack. Greene has started just 2 games his entire career. Mcknight has just been activated for just one game. LT, is toast, even you have to admit that now. Tell me Ray, why do you have a great expectation for this RB corps than say......a Pats fan would have with our group?

OL is the same unit they had last year, pass blocking wasn't an issue.
Its NOT the same unit. Hunter has just a couple of starts in his entire career, and is Moore even back from his injury yet?

Kris Jenkins played 3 games the last two years, I think it's safe for Pats fans to exclude him from their "why the Jets will stink diatribes."
Well you are right on the money with this comment. I couldn't agree more. However even you would have to admit that your team is relying on a lot of youth and/or inexperience on the DL this season. That being said, its looked pretty good against the run so far

Pass rush is indeed one of the holes in the Jets defense, but most of that is scheme related, Aaron Maybin and Jamaal Westerman could help improve this area.
One for 2 on this point Ray. The Jets pass rush is indeed scheme related, and those schemes are now getting old (at least within the division) its going to be harder and harder to get sacks based on fooling teams. The Jets need to find true pass rushers, just like most teams....including the Pats

MAYBIN????? Westerman??????? Please, Ray. I know I play the lottery too, but if the Jets are counting on Westerman (who might actually be a good player), or Maybin (who even the Jets coaching staff is souring on) to improve their Pass rush, then your pass rush is unlikely to improve.

Shaun Ellis is an aging player who has lost quite a bit, the Jets got younger, more talented, stronger, and faster on the DL this year.
Only the fact that the Jets got younger on the DL is true in this statement. Wilkerson has done decently against the run, but hasn't shown that he can rush the passer.....just like his scouting report said.

Understand I like him as a long term prospect, but the Jet are relying on him to be an instant impact player, and THAT is just not realistic. The Same goes for Ellis.

And as for Sean Ellis, as a starting every down player like he has been for the Jets for more than decade, you are right he IS a declining, aging vet. HOWEVER as a situational player and as DL depth, he could be very effective for the Pats

Fair point about Pace, if healthy, he can be a monster, which would only improve the defense.
Good solid play at OLB, 5-7 sacks per year. Pace is a good player but not NEARLY worth what the Jets are paying him....and neither is Scott or Thomas

Vilma? He hasn't been a Jet for 4 years, Harris and Scott are one of the better ILB duos in the league, it's time to update your Jets roster.
Well for what you are paying them, they should be.

I think Cromartie has an even better year this year, and a career year, he loves Rex's scheme, the Jets defense, especially their secondary will be better.
Well it shouldn't be worse....if healthy

Leonard missed the final 5 games and post season last year, big loss, he's healthy and back. Eric Smith has improved this season, they lack the marquee player, the big athlete, but they make up for it in smarts and physical play in Leonard and Smith. I would agree, safety is the weaker spot on the Jets defense.

Well your safeties are nothing to write home about, but then again neither are the Pats' safeties. It will be interesting to see how things develop, Personally I think the Pats have more upside with their safeties, but also more down side

Last edited:
It's like everyone here has selective amnesia about the fact that the Jets beat us 2 out of 3 games last year.

Remember all the times the Colts would have a better record than us and we'd go 'who cares, it's all about who goes further in the post season'?

Well, the same logic applies when we're the ones getting bounced out of the postseason after racking up a gaudy regular-season wins record.

I don't think the Jets unseat us this year but honestly I think the Pats have a lot more to prove than people here are giving them credit for.

George W. Bush was still in office the last time we won a postseason game.

:confused:

Ahhhh, watch the Florio video? What's up with the ADD?

Again, per my earlier post, I have zero problem with him or anyone picking the Jest.

The caveat is a tweedle bit of logic.

Per Florio, ya poopoo the defense then get on turnover differential. Sorry, it's basic logic, more 3rd downs converted means more plays, more plays means more chance of mistakes, mistakes equals turnovers.

Consistent 3 and out's means fewer turnovers.

As far as numbnuts above:

Remember game 3 against the Rams, 2010?

Last time I saw the Patriots dominated like last Saturday was when I was in Detroit for Thanksgiving. Yet now we are back to "blueprints"

My memory tells me that 30 potential opponents don't have a Suh.

I selected a memory that seems to indicate in the regular season, you tend to have gameplans, adjustments, regulars involved for 60 minutes.

The horse of the issue is 30 minutes of poorly played football. Why the hysteria of zebra diagnosis is simply hard to fathom.

Sanchez has played for 2 years, inconsistency to be expected, he will only get better.
That's a big assumption. For the Jets offense to improve he just can't be AS good as last year. He has to take a SIGNIFICANT jump in passing efficiency.

Sanchez benefited from one of the best run games in the league. What if that run game isn't the same kind of threat that it was the past 2 years.

Let me ask you 2 questions about Sanchez from this pre season, Ray and answer it as truthfully as you can. Do you believe that he's anymore accurate THIS year than he as been in the past? Does the OL look as good in the running game as it has in the past?

Greene hasn't missed any games because of injury.
Well Greene has missed 3 games in his career. If he wasn't injured, why didn't he play? But that's beside the point. There are a number of questions you have to have about your running attack. Greene has started just 2 games his entire career. Mcknight has just been activated for just one game. LT, is toast, even you have to admit that now. Tell me Ray, why do you have a great expectation for this RB corps than say......a Pats fan would have with our group?

OL is the same unit they had last year, pass blocking wasn't an issue.
Its NOT the same unit. Hunter has just a couple of starts in his entire career, and is Moore even back from his injury yet?

Kris Jenkins played 3 games the last two years, I think it's safe for Pats fans to exclude him from their "why the Jets will stink diatribes."
Well you are right on the money with this comment. I couldn't agree more. However even you would have to admit that your team is relying on a lot of youth and/or inexperience on the DL this season. That being said, its looked pretty good against the run so far

Pass rush is indeed one of the holes in the Jets defense, but most of that is scheme related, Aaron Maybin and Jamaal Westerman could help improve this area.
One for 2 on this point Ray. The Jets pass rush is indeed scheme related, and those schemes are now getting old (at least within the division) its going to be harder and harder to get sacks based on fooling teams. The Jets need to find true pass rushers, just like most teams....including the Pats

MAYBIN????? Westerman??????? Please, Ray. I know I play the lottery too, but if the Jets are counting on Westerman (who might actually be a good player), or Maybin (who even the Jets coaching staff is souring on) to improve their Pass rush, then your pass rush is unlikely to improve.

Shaun Ellis is an aging player who has lost quite a bit, the Jets got younger, more talented, stronger, and faster on the DL this year.
Only the fact that the Jets got younger on the DL is true in this statement. Wilkerson has done decently against the run, but hasn't shown that he can rush the passer.....just like his scouting report said.

Understand I like him as a long term prospect, but the Jet are relying on him to be an instant impact player, and THAT is just not realistic. The Same goes for Ellis.

Fair point about Pace, if healthy, he can be a monster, which would only improve the defense.
Good solid play at OLB, 5-7 sacks per year. Pace is a good player but not NEARLY worth what the Jets are paying him....and neither is Scott or Thomas

Vilma? He hasn't been a Jet for 4 years, Harris and Scott are one of the better ILB duos in the league, it's time to update your Jets roster.
Well for what you are paying them, they should be.

I think Cromartie has an even better year this year, and a career year, he loves Rex's scheme, the Jets defense, especially their secondary will be better.
Well it shouldn't be worse....if healthy

Leonard missed the final 5 games and post season last year, big loss, he's healthy and back. Eric Smith has improved this season, they lack the marquee player, the big athlete, but they make up for it in smarts and physical play in Leonard and Smith. I would agree, safety is the weaker spot on the Jets defense.

Well you safeties are nothing to write home about, but then again neither are the Pats' safeties. It will be interesting to see how things develop, Personally I think the Pats have more upside with their safeties, but also more down side

Um...actually no, I don't remember that. Everytime the Pats have won the superbowl they were always the first or second seed and were never behind the Colts. Gaining home field advantage is very important.

Reading comprehension not your strong suit. I didn't say I agree with him. I said his opinion is meaningless.

You are a stupid fool homer.

No you didn't, you made a really weak attempt at mocking those who called him out for a prediction that had no basis in reality and tried to claim the Detroit game is a "blueprint" for teams to beat the Patriots. Anyone claiming any pre-season game is a model for beating any team is as dumb as a bag of rocks. Half the players won't see meaningful playing time during the season and teams make no attempt to gameplan for opponents they just work on what they have to work on.

..... And as for Florio. He's a closet Steeler fan like most people from the northern part of W Virginia. He has a right to his opinion just like any of us....and it carries with it the same validity. ;) No one should EVER be pissed when someone chooses another team over the Pats. Its just an opinion....and just like Aholes, everyone has one.

No you didn't, you made a really weak attempt at mocking those who called him out for a prediction that had no basis in reality and tried to claim the Detroit game is a "blueprint" for teams to beat the Patriots. Anyone claiming any pre-season game is a model for beating any team is as dumb as a bag of rocks. Half the players won't see meaningful playing time during the season and teams make no attempt to gameplan for opponents they just work on what they have to work on.

I mocked them for getting upset at a meaningless prediction. That doesn't mean I agree with the prediction. You have poor reading comprehension too.

Half the players on the OL won't see meaingful playing time during the season, including Light, Koppen, Connelly, Vollmer and Mankins who got smoked by a detroit DL? Really? Who is dumb as a box of rocks? I said that half in jest, it's pretty obvious what you need to do, I don't think there's anything new about it.

And I don't think the pats just sandbagged it to "fool" future teams...yeah and take a chance on brady getting killed. That's just more homerism from the likes of people like you.

..... And as for Florio. He's a closet Steeler fan like most people from the northern part of W Virginia. He has a right to his opinion just like any of us....and it carries with it the same validity. ;) No one should EVER be pissed when someone chooses another team over the Pats. Its just an opinion....and just like Aholes, everyone has one.

Its not really news that people are picking the Jets over the Pats because there are tons of prognosticators who feel that way and because the Jets have alot of talent and beat NE 2 of 3 times last season, its believable that it COULD happen.

The reason I posted this thread is the notion that Florio thinks Buffalo is VERY close to NE for the runner up spot and puts Buffalo is a possible position to grab a playoff berth.

Since there will NOT be 3 teams from the East to make the playoffs,you have to figure Florio really thinks Buffalo is 2nd best in the division but is afraid to say it because people would think he is beyond nuts.

I mocked them for getting upset at a meaningless prediction. That doesn't mean I agree with the prediction. You have poor reading comprehension too.

Half the players on the OL won't see meaingful playing time during the season, including Light, Koppen, Connelly, Vollmer and Mankins who got smoked by a detroit DL? Really? Who is dumb as a box of rocks? I said that half in jest, it's pretty obvious what you need to do, I don't think there's anything new about it.

And I don't think the pats just sandbagged it to "fool" future teams...yeah and take a chance on brady getting killed. That's just more homerism from the likes of people like you.

Stop digging the hole and quit while you are just real far behind.

Florio's prediction is fine, the rationale is stupid.

Just not as dumb as your "blueprint" ideas.

The Detroit game is a pretty good blueprint if you happen to have an incredibly dominant DT like N. Suh as well as two-four other very good DL.

If you don't have that kind of talent then Brady passes just moves the team downfield at will with the Pats offensive line holding the four man rush off every single time.

10 Reasons why they wont win the division.

1. Mark Sanchez is too inconsistent
2. Shonn Greene cannot stay healthy
3. Offensive line protection, not good pass blocking
4. Kris Jenkins no longer there
5. Absence of a true pass rush
6. Shaun Ellis no longer there(big difference I think)
7. Calvin Pace's inconsistent health
8. No real presence in the middle since loosing Jonathan Vilma (although Harris is really good)
9. Cromartie too inconsistent in covering intermediate route runners
10. Safeties are a little questionable.

1.) I agree
2.) Greene hasn't shown he is a true #1 RB and is living on the reputation of two playoff games two years ago. He does get banged up a lot, but even if he is healthy I don't know if he is a lead back you can rely on.
3.) The o-line has more question marks than Jets fans want to admit, but they should still be solid
4.) Jenkins is irrelevant since he hasn't really played the last two years
5.) That is still an issue. No evidence in the preseason that they have really significantly improved it
6.) I don't know if Ellis per sea is an issue, but Wilkerson has not been impressive so far and there is no real veteran to relieve him if he struggles.
7.) Pace has health issues, but his biggest health issue might be that he just isn't good unless he is on the Juice. Like Meriman, his production has declined since he was caught juicing
8.) David Harris is solid. Other than Mayo, he is the best LB in the division (ok, Wake might have something to say about that). Scott is more bark than bite though.
9.) Cromartie is an one trick pony. He is a stud when covering big vertical route runners. He just can't cover the small route runners. He almost single handily lost the Colts' playoffs game because he couldn't cover an average WR like Pierre Garcon.
10.) This is true, Leonhard is underrated. Not a great safety, but far better than he is credited for.

Last edited:
Unlike many other Patsfans, I absolutely LOVE to see bulletin board material like this - and I get the sense the coaching staff doesn't mind either.

Anything that can generate that underdog aura of years past I think is a good thing for this developing team.

The more disrespect the better as far as I'm concerned.

Reading comprehension not your strong suit. I didn't say I agree with him. I said his opinion is meaningless.

You are a stupid fool homer.
Bandwagoners are worse than homers. I believe you claimed you were one of those.

Bandwagoners are worse than homers. I believe you claimed you were one of those.

No I didn't. I claimed to be and am a 30+ year fan. From way before they even went to a super bowl. Another one with no readin gcomprehension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST