PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Final Roster + Cuts based on training camp & 1st preseason game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Final Roster + Cuts

Any chance that Darryl Richard makes it?:rolleyes:

I actually think Edelman is gone. We have 3 qb's and 2 small slot wr's already.

I'm blanking out; who's the slot receiver not named Welker or Edelman?

Although at this point, I also think Edelman could be cut. He's got tons of talent, but he's just too inconsistent. My 53 right now still has 7 WRs because I think Tate/Edelman is better than bottom of the roster guys like Medlin, Morris, Butler, Wilhite, etc. I think that if one of Tate and Edelman is cut, it would be Tate because with the new rules a KR is less important than the PR.

Nothing would surprise me as far as the last 3-4 spots on the DL. I'm assuming we keep 9. We just don't know what kind of shape they're in. And, what BB thinks of em.

Nice job. I think Edelman is on the bubble. The last 2 DL spots (you have Love and Cohen) could go many ways. White will be a very difficult cut, but hard to find who to take away.

No way Edelman's on the bubble, not with #83 heading off into possible FA land, not a chance. I think the WR's mentioned are spot on, Slater grabs Tate's spot.

Tate offers more value than Edelman IMO.

He's one of the few WR's who can "go deep" on our team.

Welker, Edelman, and Price are all "possession" type receivers. Even Branch is at this point in his career.

Tate's KR returns started going downhill after game 5 last season. After he took a heavy shot, he began the stutter-stepping into a pile at or around the 18-24 yard line all too much after game 5. The early KO TD returns really inflated those averages. He came back down to earth in a huge way the entire 2nd half.

Tate can go deep ? Really, when has he done that? Are you talking about that busted play against the Vikings where he got lucky enough to scramble around and found an open spot after the broken play? Please........

Tate is WR 7 on this team right now.

Last edited:

Sure. The easy part is saying who should make the team. The hard part is saying who doesn't. 53 slots. Richard can be one. Who gets the other 52 and who do you cut?

butler probably doesn't make it....bb cuts him out of principle, plus he feels sick every time he realizes he spent a second rounder on him.

No ... he is a likely trade to another team, especially after a 2 sack game.

Last edited:

No ... he is a likely trade to another team, especially after a 2 sack game.
I think you're severely overestimating the value of a backup dlineman. I can't see how anyone would possibly give up anything for this guy. In fact, I'd be surprised if he didn't make it to the practice squad. If he tears it up in the next three games, I'll change my opinion, but one preseason game doesn't do anything for me.

Also, he was in the game at the beginning when they were giving up all those huge runs. I honestly don't know if any of those had anything to do with him, (maybe someone with DVR can say?). I guess the point is that you can't just judge him on the two sacks.

There was a very interesting tidbit in Mike Reiss' blog this morning which might effect who survives the final cuts. He reported that the Patriots guaranteed portions of the contracts for some undrafted free agents mentioning Aaron Lavarias & Jeff Tarpinian.

My first thought was this increases the chance those players would make the 53 man roster because the team would be on the hook for the guarantees if they were cut. But, it also increases the odds these players would pass through waivers and be eligible for the practice squad because other team would be leery of assuming those guarantees if they claimed the player.

For a team which has frequently paid practice squad players more than the standard salary to keep them in the past, this might be a new tactic the team is employing to keep young players the team wants to work with from being claimed by other teams.

I just re-watched the Jags game so I thought I would post some of my thoughts.

*Disclaimer*
Obviously it was only the first preseason game, so things can and will change before the start of the season.

First, Jermaine Cunningham isn't a lock to make the final 53. Despite having a sack, his performance was quite underwhelming. He only has 1 pass rush move at the moment, and it’s not good enough to get to the QB at the moment. While I really like Cunningham he really needs to step it up in the next few weeks. He is adequate against the run, but really needs spend some time with Andre Carter and Shaun Ellis to pick up some pass rush moves.

I was really impressed with Mark Anderson's pass rush abilities and the pressure he created. He is horrible against the run, but I think he is a great option as a 3rd down pass rusher. He has a great first step and some good moves which allowed him to consistently put pressure on the QB. The way I see it at the moment, I really like A.Carter as the starting RE, with Ellis starting at LE, and Cunningham, Anderson and Eric Moore battling it out for probably 2 spots.

I really like Ninko as a 4-3 OLB, but hate him as a DE. I like his coverage skills and instincts as a SLB, but he doesn't have the pass rush moves to play DE, and he is horrible against the run there. I think he will be a very solid player this year, as long as he isn’t a down lineman.

When he was in the game, Dane Fletcher was the best player on the field. He has great instincts and tackling ability, but the thing that impresses me the most is how quickly and easily he has transitioned from DE to ILB. He is a lock to make the team and will be a solid backup to Brandon Spikes.

Assuming McCourty, Bodden, Arrington and Dowling are healthy, it looks like Butler and Wilhite will be battling it out for the 5th CB spot. Both were fairly mediocre in the Jags game so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. One dark horse for this spot is Malcolm Williams, who could really push both guys because of his special teams ability.

Obviously the DL battle is going to be the one to watch leading up to the start of the season with so many guys in camp. I think Kyle Love solidified his position in the 53 with a good performance against the Jags. Daryl Richard was impressive with 2 sacks, but I think it will be tough for him to make the team. I like the look of Kade Weston, but I think he would be best suited as a two-gap DE in a 3-4. It looks like the Pats will be playing with a lot of 4 man fronts this season, so that might hurt Weston's chances of making the roster.

I think Slater is almost a lock to make the final 53 because he is so valuable in special teams. Whether they decide to hold on to 6 or 7 WR's, I think Slater will be one of them. Similarly I think Sammy Morris makes the team. I know a lot of people expect him to get cut, but he offers so much value in special teams, which is often overlooked. I think we carry 5 RB's to start the season as well as Faulk on PUP, unless Vereen's injury is worse than expected and he goes on IR.

I think the new kick-off rules really put Tate's roster spot in jeopardy. Unless he can really show something as a WR, I can't see him making the final 53. I think if Price or Vereen can prove that they can handle the KR duties, that will be the final nail in the coffin for Tate. With the depth of the roster, I don't think they can carry a pure KR. I like Edelman as the main PR, but I don't want to see him returning kick-offs, he really seemed to struggle in that role.

The O-Line was very solid, even without the starters in the game. I particularly liked what I saw from Maneri, and think he is a good shot at making the roster as a backup RT/OG. He struggled a little at LT, but I really like the way me moved in space. Solder looked good considering his limited preparation, but he still needs to add some bulk before he's ready to start in the NFL.

Both QB's looked great, and Ridley was clearly the best offensive player on the field. I was a little concerned with Hernandez's fumbles, but I think that’s just a bit of rust. He did look great catching the ball though.

Overall I was very pleased with the performance in this game, and it’s pretty clear that BB and co. have some tough decisions to make to get down to the final 53.

Here’s and early look at what I think the 53 could look like

(3) QB- Brady, Hoyer, Mallett
(5) RB- BJGE, Woodhead, Ridley, Vereen, Morris
(3) TE- Gronk, Hernandez, L. Smith/Yeatman
(6) WR- Welker, Ocho Cinco, Branch, Price, Edelman, Slater
(4) OT- Light, Vollmer, Solder, Maneri
(4) OG/C- Mankins, Koppen, Connolly, Wendell
Offence- 25

(6) DT- Wilfork, Haynesworth, Love, Pryor, Wright, Warren/Richard/Weston
(4) DE- Ellis, Carter, Cunningham/Anderson/ Moore
(5) LB- Mayo, Guyton, Spikes, Ninko, Fletcher
(5) CB- McCourty, Bodden, Arrington, Dowling, Butler/Wilhite/M. Williams
(4) S- Chung, Meriweather, Sanders, S. Brown
Defence- 24

K- Gostowski
P- Mesko
LS- Katula?
53rd man- Barrett/ Ohrnberger/ Tate

The 53rd man is an interesting battle here. I really like Josh Barrett in this spot as the 5th Safety/6th LB. He offers great versatility and flexibility in different schemes, as well as some special teams ability. However, I’m not entirely comfortable only carrying 8 O-lineman, so Ohrnberger is another option here. I would probably take Barrett though because we can always sign another backup OL if necessary.

PUP/IR
Faulk
Cannon
Brace
Deaderick

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case