PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fiedler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tatepatsfan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
If Flutie doesn't come back, I am all for bringing in a veteran QB for his spot as opposed to a rookie, because we already have a young Cassell back there. I'd prefer Flutie to Fiedler, or really anyone else because he already has been in our offense for a year, but if he decided to retire, so you think that Fiedler might be an option? I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that the Pats looked at him last offseason. They may have even brought him to Foxboro for a visit. What do you guys think?

i'd prefer flutie to fiedler, too

tatepatsfan said:
If Flutie doesn't come back, I am all for bringing in a veteran QB for his spot as opposed to a rookie, because we already have a young Cassell back there. I'd prefer Flutie to Fiedler, or really anyone else because he already has been in our offense for a year, but if he decided to retire, so you think that Fiedler might be an option? I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that the Pats looked at him last offseason. They may have even brought him to Foxboro for a visit. What do you guys think?
i keep thinking of this scenario: brady hurt in fourth quarter.
reserve QB comes in game, we have ball at 12-yard line, down by 8, 9 minutes to go.
who do you want that reserve QB to be?
what about 2nd choice?

I like Jay Fiedler, not as much as Flutie, but if it came to gameplay I think I'd rather have Fiedler in there over most 2nd stringers. The guy was always critized for his talent, but the guy could win, and playing for the Patriots that would obviously be the most important thing. Now all of this banks on the fact that he recovers fully from his shoulder surgery, which is certainly no guarentee. Because of this I think Flutie would again be the safer pick because there are less ?'s around his health but I certainly wouldn't be upset to find Jay Fiedler to be our new backup.

Flutie is just too old. If we could orchestrate signing Fiedler for the vet minimum I'd say he's healthy enough for a few pops. I wanted him B4 the Jets signed him. Mangini had to cut him because they were paying him too much. Cap casualty.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Flutie is just too old. If we could orchestrate signing Fiedler for the vet minimum I'd say he's healthy enough for a few pops. I wanted him B4 the Jets signed him. Mangini had to cut him because they were paying him too much. Cap casualty.

I tend to agree with you - Fielder's a quality #2 who can step in and play. Nothing against Flutie but at some point age is going to catch up with him - and we just don't know what he can really do for a full game anymore.

If Cassell is developing well and they feel that he and Flutie are 2a and 2b - I'd be ok keeping Flutie

But if Cassell's development is going to take some time I'd prefer a younger veteran like Fielder

one of the most fun questions for camp

JoeSixPat said:
I tend to agree with you - Fielder's a quality #2 who can step in and play. Nothing against Flutie but at some point age is going to catch up with him - and we just don't know what he can really do for a full game anymore.

If Cassell is developing well and they feel that he and Flutie are 2a and 2b - I'd be ok keeping Flutie

But if Cassell's development is going to take some time I'd prefer a younger veteran like Fielder
BB sez you got to beat somebody out to win a job, right?
we will see, me hearties.
i really don't think flutie wants to end his career on the cut list for the patriots. hopefully BB will alloww him to have a little press conference and announce his retirement.
if they give enough notice I WILL BE THERE. and you'll be surprised how many other folks will want to be there too.

Fiedler's overrated. Give me John Williams or at least Seigi Ozawa any day!

Fiedler would be solid. Hell, we had ROHAN for two years.

re

ilduce06410 said:
i keep thinking of this scenario: brady hurt in fourth quarter.
reserve QB comes in game, we have ball at 12-yard line, down by 8, 9 minutes to go.
who do you want that reserve QB to be?
what about 2nd choice?

Matt Cassel.

The veteran QB sits on the bench as the 3rd stringer.

I suppose a lot depends on whether Flutie looked better in practise than he did on the field last year and on how much confidence the team has in Cassel. I'd like to see Flutie back for a year, backing and presumably mentoring Cassel.

Flutie too old? Eh. He looked okay last year. I'd like him back for a competition for #2 with Cassel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News