PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Felger's show

Status
Not open for further replies.
(STANDING UP AND APPLUADING!!!)
Makes much sense.. "The Pats let him go,,,,why??"....GOOD GRIEF!!!
Really ridiculous!! I think we all are learning about drafts and can see how BB sees and does things...in many ways far ahead of many.
The draft LOOKS GOOD!! Yes, one may find out that Lawson is a HOF..but..we will se what this team is like this year. For one thing, teh team changes in some ways all years..slightly more emphasis on differen things..IF the team was stagnant, other teams would catch up a bit..but BB is a few steps ahead.

Amnorix said:
Patriots have 16 full time scouts reporting to 2 directors -- one college, one pro, of football operations. They report to Pioli, and after the season, the coaching staff also helps review tape and conduct interviews, and Belichick then teams with Pioli to establish the final board.

The budget for college scouting is approximately $4 million. The scouts, directors, Pioli, Belichick and the rest of the coaching staff spend, literally, THOUSANDS of hours reviewing tape, interviewing not just the players but their coaches, etc., in connection with establishing the final board.

Belichick has spent 30 years, consecutive, coaching in the NFL, and his ability to break down tape is legendary. He has won 3 SBs in the last 5 years, and is the only coach in NFL history to win 3 in 4 years.

Felger and Rusillo don't like the draft.

Good post.

When they picked a kicker in the 4th, I was probably one of many who said WTF????? However, who was on the board at that point that the Pats wanted more? Were any of the DE or LB's left on the board any better than say Claridge, TBC, or dare I say Beisel? IMO the Pats may have felt that our special teams was a greater need this year. I'm also thinking that maybe this year we'll all enjoy more touchbacks or fair catch signals from opposing kick returners. Less wear and tear on our vets that play ST's sounds great to me!!!
Our search for a kicker this year turned up one re-habbed Gramatica. Maybe, just maybe, Bioli felt that the best kicker prospect was worth a 4th this year, (given how the rest of our team stacks up) and felt that was the best value.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry amnorix, somehow my answer got in the middle of your quote! Attempted to fix it but just lost your last line as a result!

Joker said:
Yeah, I see your point...you're obsessed with all these mistakes...they must be driving you crazy...me? I'm just some idiot that feels like I've been transported from the "Trail of Tears" lifelong Patriot fan trudge into oblivion only to be rescued by some shining apparition in a hooded sweatshirt who has led me and other lifelong fans to football nirvana THREE TIMES IN THE PAST FIVE YEARS. I fully expected to live out my life without even ONE such experience, so I will stupidly believe in the Hooded Deity in the hopes that this wonderful epiphany will occur a fourth time

Here Here Joker. You are right on with this. It really hit me at the 2004 parade when they had all three trophies on the duck boat. Three. I used to wondered what it would be like to see my team win one SB.

That said, I don't think it's blasphemy to question whether letting Adam go was the right move. It may turn out that it wasn't, however, I believe that Scott and Bill make what they believe are the best moves for the team and so I can accept it because 1. they know more than I do and 2. I believe their motives are sincere. I DO NOT believe they make choices based on what others think or because they want people to say "Watch us be unconventional geniuses"(Shmessy) So if it turns out to be a mistake, I can forgive a mistake because everyone is human and I know that they did what they thought was best.

Last edited:
Hoodie said:
Here Here Joker. You are right on with this. It really hit me at the 2004 parade when they had all three trophies on the duck boat. Three. I used to wondered what it would be like to see my team win one SB.

That said, I don't think it's blasphemy to question whether letting Adam go was the right move. It may turn out that it wasn't, however, I believe that Scott and Bill make what they believe are the best moves for the team and so I can accept it because 1. they know more than I do and 2. I believe their motives are sincere. I DO NOT believe they make choices based on what others think or because they want people to say "Watch us be unconventional geniuses"(Shmessy) So if it turns out to be a mistake, I can forgive a mistake because everyone is human and I know that they did what they thought was best.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Hoodie. I NEVER said they "let AV go" and I think you're off by believing they did. He went on his own to kick in a dome and be closer to South Dakota. That's all.

I think BB/Pioli have done great in their drafts and this one I like on the whole. However, I do feel that every now and then they turn in a head scratcher in a way (Gotkowski, Hill, both could've been had in later rounds) where they seem to be saying "We're so different".

Joker was waaayyy off when he wrote: "you sound just like Borges after the Pats drafted Seymour..." - - that's not a good analogy since Seymour would never have been there for us in the next round. There's a good possibility (not 100% definite of course) that Gotkowski and Hill would've been around for the Pats in subsequent rounds.

BB/Pioli are the best in the NFL at what they do. There are some folks here, however with Kaleidoscope Eyes who get in a tither whenever someone questions any one of their decisions. A particular criticism doesn't mean a 100% condemnation.

Last edited:
shmessy said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa, Hoodie. I NEVER said they "let AV go" and I think you're off by believing they did. He went on his own to kick in a dome and be closer to South Dakota. That's all.

I think you could agrue either way. If they'd signed Adam to the long term deal he wanted he wouldn't have gone to FA. If Adam had wanted to stay, he would have let the Pats counter offer. It doesn't matter anymore. I'm tired of the debate. He's dead to me now. The point is I agree you can question BB's moves, from what I've read he values differences of opinions. At this point though, we just need to wait and see.

Hoodie said:
Jacky -- are you in Boston? The alternative is five fat guys sitting around yelling at one another. I can only take so much of it. At least Felger's talking football whereas Ordway and crew are talking baseball even during the football season.

Yes. I have Sirius radio and usually listen to Stern replays or ESPN. I cant stand Felger.

The other possible move..

Hoodie said:
I think you could agrue either way. If they'd signed Adam to the long term deal he wanted he wouldn't have gone to FA. If Adam had wanted to stay, he would have let the Pats counter offer. It doesn't matter anymore. I'm tired of the debate. He's dead to me now. The point is I agree you can question BB's moves, from what I've read he values differences of opinions. At this point though, we just need to wait and see.

Of course, they didn't have to give him the long term deal or worry about FA. They could have just franchised him for the next 3 years in a row, and they would have actually saved money. For example:

AV got a 3.5 mil signing bonus and 2.5 mil per season on a 3 year deal from the colts. Assuming he stays the full 3 years, this is really an average of 3.66 mil per year over 3 years. Or, 3.5 + 7.5 = 11 mil divided by 3 years for the 3.66 average salary counting the bonus. The colts could still cut him after year 1 or 2, but they lose what they paid him for the signing bonus.

If the Pats just franchised him for 3 years, it would have been 2.5 mil + 20% which is 3 mil for the 1st year and no signing bonus. The second year is 3 mil + 20% which is 3.6 mil and the third year is 3.6 mil + 20% which is 4.32 mil. So, 3 + 3.6 + 4.32 = 10.92 Or, an average of 3.64 over 3 years. This way the Pats could cut him any time after year 1 or 2 if his performance falls off and not have to worry about losing part of the signing bonus. This is a better deal for the Pats and they still save a few bucks.

After that they renegotiate down, if they still want AV can still kick. It just seems like this was the better way to go.

Just some mental masturbation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back