PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Favre takes Jets from decent to dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.
They Jets goofed by NOT drafting a QB this year. Except in rare cases, we are seeing the young QBs ride the bench for 2-3 years learning the system and getting ready to take over. If they TRULY weren't happy with Pennington or Clemens, they should have drafted a QB. Instead, they will lose at least a 3rd round pick but probably a second..

As I said in another thread, if the Jets lose the 2nd, then they have screwed themselves going into the future unless they trade away some current talent to get back into the 2nd round, because they won't get their QB to develop under Favre otherwise/ This is clearly a desperation move by Mangini and Tannenbaum after last year's fiasco.

Jets took Erik Ainge QB (Tennessee) with pick # 162 (5th round). I agree with your 2nd paragraph -that they are going short term gain (gamble) vs long term high risk. Also that is a desperation move. I think the cap costs as well could even be a bigger handicap than a future # 3 round pick loss (as I dont see them making it to playoffs to escilate it to a 2nd round pick)

Now the jets will trade Pennington or cut him. How much net cap room will they lose, and what were they going to use it on anyway?

The jets will have Favre and a couple of young QB's. I don't see how this is a negative for them. They went from aweful to competitive, unrealistically hopeful for a wild card birth this year. How can this hurt their team? Favre is a 1-3 year solution. If you are concerned about age, check out how old Blanda was when he retired as a QB and a K.

Last edited:
Well this is quite interesting to say the least.

I can't wait for our Pats to attack this guy twice a year. If he lasts that long. I'm sick of hearing about him and now our team can shut him up.

Well, I do think this improves the Jets, as Noodle Arm or Clemens were not going to lead the Jets to even a sniff of .500. Favre will lead them to at least a chance to get to .500, if not a possible playoff birth as a wild card depending on how the chips fall in the AFC. This move also reeks of desperation to save some jobs. At least there is another reason to hope the Jets fail even more this season, as adding Favre makes me hate that team even more.

Favre isn't the only one hunting now in days.

2lk67ht.jpg

I can think of 15 Teams in the AFC who are still better than the N.Y. Jets with that "media whore" Favre...what does that tell you.

Now the jets will trade Pennington or cut him. How much net cap room will they lose, and what were they going to use it on anyway?

The jets will have Favre and a couple of young QB's. I don't see how this is a negative for them. They went from aweful to competitive, unrealistically hopeful for a wild card birth this year. How can this hurt their team? Favre is a 1-3 year solution. If you are concerned about age, check out how old Blanda was when he retired as a QB and a K.

According to Wikipedia - the trade "puts the Jets just $6 M under the salary cap. In a move to give more cap room, the Jets released Pennington on Aug 7".
There is no source attached to that cap #. Competition is always good and I think this is good for the Pats. Keeps them on their toes to win the division.

The draft pick is little in comparison to the possible benefit. (see Moss trade). However, there are issues about locker room chemistry, undue media scrutiny (can Jets players handle being in the increased spotlight), win now pressure, handling the higher expectations, etc.

Not to mention the issues individually with Farvre and how much he can digest of a new playbook and get in synch with different receivers, learning about the defenses of the AFC East whereas he probably new the NFC North defenses like the back of his hand. Also the AFC increased level of competition. How much does Brett have in the tank at 38 and how much mental work will he put in for a self professed 'lazy student' of the game.

Last I remember, Favre lost 35-0 at home to the Patriots with a far superior team than this year's Jetties. This will be fun.

I luv the deal.
There's nothing like improved competition to focus your own skills.

Sadly, i'm afraid the competition will only SEEM to be improved.
For assorted reasons mentioned thruout the thread, this is likely to
raise expectations much more than raise performance.

His Favreness is the sort of bigger-than-life prima donna
who belongs in the Big Apple. ... with its nonstop, glitterati-hounding media.

Hurry the season!

I can think of 15 Teams in the AFC who are still better than the N.Y. Jets with that "media whore" Favre...what does that tell you.

Please, name them. Name 15 teams that are better than this year's Jets team. Look at the Jets roster before you do. This isn't last year's team.

Shouldn't the title of this thread be "Favre brings the Jets from mediocre to decent"?

One thing working in his favor is the easy schedule. Beofre some troll gets on a rant that the Pats have the easiest schedule consider this....
1) They play the same 6 intradivision games, 2 against the Bills,Fins and each other.
2) They play the same 4 games against the NFC West ....
3) They play the same 4 games against the AFC West

That's 14 of the same 16 games. For the other 2 games the Pats play SD and Indy as a result of winning the division last year (1st place vs 1st place) The jets play Den and Tenn instead..... He'll do okay but for them to make the playoffs, even as wild card, they have to beat out both the Bills, and Jaguars and i don't see that happening. Jets fans should be happy with 9-7 and 3rd place....

I don't see this so much as a move towards competitiveness this year so much as a move to put butts in seats.

I don't care who the QB is, you can't walk into camp two weeks in and QB a team to the top of a division.

Competiteness doesn't mean winning the division. The question is whether they now have a reasonable shot to compete for a wildcard spot this year. They didn't a week ago.

I don't see this so much as a move towards competitiveness this year so much as a move to put butts in seats.

I don't care who the QB is, you can't walk into camp two weeks in and QB a team to the top of a division.

I have no opinion on other people's opinions. My opinion is that we are going to be treated to a fantastic train wreck in NYC.

I can't wait to see the mess!

Favre managed to make two teams worse in one trade.

I have no opinion on other people's opinions. My opinion is that we are going to be treated to a fantastic train wreck in NYC.

I can't wait to see the mess!

Favre managed to make two teams worse in one trade.

And yet the Media LOVES HIM!!

Please, name them. Name 15 teams that are better than this year's Jets team. Look at the Jets roster before you do. This isn't last year's team.

The Buffalo Trolls, The Jacksontroll Jaguars, The Troll Diego Trollers, The Pittsburg Stealers (Thats what trolls do steal right), The Trolldianapolis Trollts.....

I'm just kidding by the way. Thats actually a very valid question.

One thing working in his favor is the easy schedule. Beofre some troll gets on a rant that the Pats have the easiest schedule consider this....
1) They play the same 6 intradivision games, 2 against the Bills,Fins and each other.
2) They play the same 4 games against the NFC West ....
3) They play the same 4 games against the AFC West

That's 14 of the same 16 games. For the other 2 games the Pats play SD and Indy as a result of winning the division last year (1st place vs 1st place) The jets play Den and Tenn instead..... He'll do okay but for them to make the playoffs, even as wild card, they have to beat out both the Bills, and Jaguars and i don't see that happening. Jets fans should be happy with 9-7 and 3rd place....

Strength of schedule at this point in time is irrelevant. The Pats have the easiest schedule in the league because in part they play the Jets who were 4-12 last year. If the Jets go 9-7 or 10-6, the Pats' schedule gets infinitely tougher than it was before the season.

I don't think there are 15, but you can make a strong argument that the Pats, Bills, Steelers, Browns, Colts, Jags, Titans, and Chargers are better. That is eight teams. Two or three more have a shot at being better including the Texans, Broncos, and Bengals if they improve by a couple of games.

Brett Favre is in Woody's box!
Oh my good....goodness gracious!!!! Of all the dramatic things!!! Of all the dramatic things I've ever seen....Brett Favre standing right in Woody Johnson's box! Brett Favre is a New York Jet....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back