PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Facts about Manny Ramirez

About the only vestige of original NE that remains is the concept of Puritan work ethic as a chief virtue. Meanwhile almost all the other moral tenets of Puritanism have been cast aside and mocked. That is why Boston scribes always make such a stink of moral outrage at a player not sprinting to first base...The influx of Latino immigrants have ruffled some feathers among the previous immigration groups into the city, as seems to be an unfortunate but normal consequence of successive waves of immigration. Manny Ramirez represents to some of these people the absurd "lazy urban latino" stereotype, and they enjoy whipping the natives up to distraction against him, because they know what sells newspapers and copy to old timers.

To protect themselves against accusations of racism, which were bubbling under the surface, they held up Big Papi as the polar opposite, the incarnation of all that is virtuous in baseball. They use Papi to allow themselves to attack Manny with impunity.

So Manny is evil, Manny is the epitome of all baseball modern sins. Hide the children. Total hypocrisy. I love this team and have for 30 years, but this anti Ramirez propaganda is totally transparent.

Yes.

And it's sad to see even intelligent posters like Scout get sucked into believing this garbage. Scout, your point may be well taken above if not for the fact the media has been on Manny's case ever since he got here, hypocritically ignoring the lack of hustle by other players, and also ignoring the racial/stereotype aspect that Pony raised above.

And it's sad to see even intelligent posters like Scout get sucked into believing this garbage.
You've been sucked into believing it too. You acknowledged that Manny faked an injury and forced himself out of town, and thats why people are unhappy with him.

Last edited:
Yes.

And it's sad to see even intelligent posters like Scout get sucked into believing this garbage. Scout, your point may be well taken above if not for the fact the media has been on Manny's case ever since he got here, hypocritically ignoring the lack of hustle by other players, and also ignoring the racial/stereotype aspect that Pony raised above.

I call Bullsheet! I'm an independent thinker and you know that by reading my posts in the political forum. I give Manny all his due for what he did during his stay in Boston. But never put Manny in the same sentence as Ted Williams. Williams was as wacky and high strung as Manny, but never, never missed a game because of a lame excuse. Nor have I ever defended any player who did not hustle. I slammed Lowe in game 7 for not running out a grounder which he would have made safely because of an error. Now, does that count because he is no longer a Sox. As a matter of fact, the only players that get my nod are dirt dogs, from that point, start subtracting. Your on record as stating Manny was a great teammate, tell that to Youk.
I've never heard that the Boston scribes were calling or implying that Latino's were lazy. Are you basing that on Manny?

The topic has slightly shifted now from circumstances of Manny leaving to Manny's treatment in general since he's been here.

Manny has been an easy target ever since he's been on the Sox. His teammate who hit right before him for years, never ran hard or fast on the bases and only played half the game. But he was a cheap Black player who pounded the baseball for us, so it was great. JD Drew is hurt ALL THE TIME and is being paid almost twice what Dice-K makes, how many negative articles has he gotten?

The topic has slightly shifted now from circumstances of Manny leaving to Manny's treatment in general since he's been here.

Manny has been an easy target ever since he's been on the Sox. His teammate who hit right before him for years, never ran hard or fast on the bases and only played half the game. But he was a cheap Black player who pounded the baseball for us, so it was great. JD Drew is hurt ALL THE TIME and is being paid almost twice what Dice-K makes, how many negative articles has he gotten?
The media doesn't complain about Drew? Really?

Gerry Callahan treats Drew like garbage, regardless of his health. At mid-season after Drew was named AS-MVP, and had missed almost no time at that point in the season, Callahan complained that he was on pace for only 90RBI. He has frequently complained about him drawing a walk when he should drive the ball. He has made it his lifes work to berate Drew on every possible occasion.

Bob Ryan chastised Theo at a press conference for considering signing Drew when there were rumors about signing him in 2006, and it has only gotten worse since. He has frequently called Drew overpaid and mentions whenever possible that he is injured all the time.

You hear negative stuff on WEEI all the time from both fans and the hosts, even when Drew has been healthy and hitting well. He is far from a darling in this town, and gets a substantial amount of bad press, even when it isn't deserved.

As far as Ortiz, he may not have run down the line on grounders, but was there anything else that he did that was that bad? As I said before, Manny's failure to run down the line is a small part in the big picture. If that was the only issue, people would ignore it (like with Ortiz). Ortiz was never days late to Spring Training, he never faked an injury (and that was an accusation for Manny before 2008), he never refused to pinch hit, he was never at a bar with a friend on a day he claimed he was too sick to play, he never asked to be traded from the first year he was in Boston, he never had a minor league team search the field for his missing earring, he never did most of this type stuff that Manny did in his entire stay in Boston. None of those things are really that bad in a vacuum, and most people didn't really care about them. But these little things add up, and make it an entirely different situation than Ortiz. He provided the media plenty of things to talk about.

Last edited:

I've never thought of Manny as being black. Is that what you just said?

I've never thought of Manny as being black. Is that what you just said?

He said hits in front of Manny.

I'm not a Red Sox fan in any way shape or form, but I always thought the backlash against him was not so much for the "minor" things he did off the field, but because of all the times he essentially said he doesn't need them as much as they need him. That's just how I saw it.

Twelve seconds after the Dodgers got bounced from the playoffs, the mensa candidate known as Manny declared himself a "five tool player" and said he is going home and sitting back and waiting for the highest bidder, and his price is going up like the price of gas.

Manny thinks he'll get 4 years, 100 million; maybe the moron who runs the Mets will do it, who knows.

And to think people are upset this moron got traded out of town.

Twelve seconds after the Dodgers got bounced from the playoffs, the mensa candidate known as Manny declared himself a "five tool player" and said he is going home and sitting back and waiting for the highest bidder, and his price is going up like the price of gas.

Manny thinks he'll get 4 years, 100 million; maybe the moron who runs the Mets will do it, who knows.

man i hope my padres make a run for him

but my padres ownership are a bunch of cheap ******s, so i doubt it

Five tools ? When did he learn how to play defense and run the bases?

"Five tools ? When did he learn how to play defense and run the bases?"

Isn't that beyond comical; if I hadn't heard him say it myself, I would have never believed it.

He honestly thinks he's a five tool player.

Million dollar bat, .05 cent head and rest of his game................

i hope a national league team signs man ram. i want to see him play the outfield in a couple of years. comical to say the least.

The only good thing I can say about this postseason is that at least Manny Ramirez will not get the satisfaction of saying he got to the WS without the Red Sox.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back