PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Expect Brandon Lloyd to be more productive

Status
Not open for further replies.
houston might be tough for lloyd. they play man to man and our WR's barring WW have a tough time with man coverage. Even rodney has continously said -the way to beat brady is pressure up the middle and play man to man which houston does almost exclusively.

Brady's Progressions in 2012.

Is Welker Open?

Yes: Pass to Welker

No: Look for Gronk

--

Is Gronk Open?

Yes: Pass to Gronk

Sorta: Pass to Gronk

Not really: Pass to Gronk

No: Look for Hernandez

---

Is Hernandez Open?

Yes: Pass to Hernandez

No / Hes not playing cuz hes injured: Look for Lloyd

----

Is Lloyd open?

Yes: Is Welker open yet?

Hes open: is Woodhead on the field?

I said hes open!: oh we have another receiver on this team!

Duh: *passes to lloyd, who makes an incredible circus catch while falling down (always falling down) for Zero YAK *

Yay: Ya!

Last edited:
Someday,hopefully soon,we will stop the experiment with older WRs who have never been in this system long.....it just does not work out well.

Randy Moss was a rare exception

Lloyd has shown he can make a nice circus catch now and then but he's not making cornerbacks shake in their cleats.

I've given up on expecting Lloyd to be productive. He is easily my biggest football disappointment of the year! I rooted for this guy to be signed, but he has barely made any impact. He's better than Ocho, though... I'll give him that.

It's amazing to me how productive the Patriots remain despite Lloyd's lack of production. If Brady is the MVP, Welker should be co-MVP.

Last edited:
Targeting is a function of game plan and matchups and over time catch rate. What are the matchups and what are the expected results. Welker, Edelman and the 2 top TE's are catching between 66-70% of the throws targeted at them. Lloyd is catching 56%. Now that % is still viable if you are a true outside/deep threat picking up more yards and generating more scores. Not the case here. Edelman had as many TD's through 75% of a season even with time missed. Welker has nearly double the yards and has moved the chains. The two TE's while both missing time average between them more than twice as many TD's.

Brady is conditioned to target his playmakers. Everyone who plays with him has an opportunity to become one. Some grab that brass ring, others not so much. If Josh were extolling Brady to target Lloyd more at this juncture he's a bigger tool than I thought. What is more likely happening is Lloyd is being extolled to show more, particularly by running routes not limited to outside the numbers and catching the damn ball and generating the requisite amount of YAC when doing so. They need him to be more than an outside the numbers guy unless he's catching more than 50% of the balls thrown at him in that instance. Brady isn't going to look at guys who are a essentially a break even proposition except as a last resort. Not when he has guys who are consistently more productive and better than a two to one bet.

We saw through preseason and the first quarter of the season what happens when Brady is forced by design to target a receiver. I'm sure he would love to be able to target Lloyd more frequently, but Lloyd is going to have to earn it. With the situation at TE he's already been given ample opportunity to and it just hasn't happened. But with Gronk out and Edelman gone the opportunity remains. Once Gronk is back provided Welker and Ahern remain healthy he's going to be relegated to decoy or rotation with a Branch or Stallworth unless he's shown he can come to play against the big boys as Troy says.

Lloyd had convinced himself over the years that misuse was his lone problem. That's not going to fly here.

It could be as simple as Brady feels more comfortable throwing in the middle of the field than down the sidelines?

It could be as simple as Brady feels more comfortable throwing in the middle of the field than down the sidelines?

No, people need to quit trying to find a Brady explanation for other people's shortcomings. Brady is comfortable throwing to playmakers, period. Branch was his outside the numbers target for a time and they won Superbowls together. Even in 2010 those two hooked up 66% of the time. Brady can make all the throws. He simply doesn't have receivers who can make all the catches at an acceptable rate. When he had Moss and no viable TE's he threw deep just fine. Now he has two TE's and Welker so he goes where his playmakers are. If he felt comfortable that Lloyd could catch 65% of the balls he threw him he'd be throwing more to him. He continued to target Moss at 61% even as returns diminished, although the tradeoff there was the deep threat and TD's. Otherwise he will continue to target the guys who catch upwards of 70% of the balls he throws them and add on some YAC.

Lloyd is on pace to equal or underperform 2011 Branch. That isn't what the team was looking for to replace Branch...

No, people need to quit trying to find a Brady explanation for other people's shortcomings. Brady is comfortable throwing to playmakers, period. Branch was his outside the numbers target for a time and they won Superbowls together. Even in 2010 those two hooked up 66% of the time. Brady can make all the throws. He simply doesn't have receivers who can make all the catches at an acceptable rate. When he had Moss and no viable TE's he threw deep just fine. Now he has two TE's and Welker so he goes where his playmakers are. If he felt comfortable that Lloyd could catch 65% of the balls he threw him he'd be throwing more to him. He continued to target Moss at 61% even as returns diminished, although the tradeoff there was the deep threat and TD's. Otherwise he will continue to target the guys who catch upwards of 70% of the balls he throws them and add on some YAC.

Lloyd is on pace to equal or underperform 2011 Branch. That isn't what the team was looking for to replace Branch...

Is this your opinion or is this a fact?

I've given up on expecting Lloyd to be productive. He is easily my biggest football disappointment of the year! I rooted for this guy to be signed, but he has barely made any impact. He's better than Ocho, though... I'll give him that.

It's amazing to me how productive the Patriots remain despite Lloyd's lack of production. If Brady is the MVP, Welker should be co-MVP.

Your expectations were way out of proportion.

Brady's Progressions in 2012.

Is Welker Open?

Yes: Pass to Welker

No: Look for Gronk

--

Is Gronk Open?

Yes: Pass to Gronk

Sorta: Pass to Gronk

Not really: Pass to Gronk

No: Look for Hernandez

---

Is Hernandez Open?

Yes: Pass to Hernandez

No / Hes not playing cuz hes injured: Look for Lloyd

----

Is Lloyd open?

Yes: Is Welker open yet?

Hes open: is Woodhead on the field?

I said hes open!: oh we have another receiver on this team!

Duh: *passes to lloyd, who makes an incredible circus catch while falling down (always falling down) for Zero YAK *

Yay: Ya!

Great post lol.

Brady and Lloyd have to make the defense feel the pain of single covering him, it has to be a point of emphasis.

He demonstrated no lack of comfort throwing down the sidelines when he had a receiver who was capable of getting it done out there (Moss).

He demonstrated no lack of comfort throwing down the sidelines when he had a receiver who was capable of getting it done out there (Moss).

But there are only so many HOF and near GOATs at WR to go around. Brady is a great QB, but he has a weakness in throwing long, he always had that weakness, and it is not getting better. Having Randy Moss for a season while Randy was still on top of his game, masked that somewhat, but doesn't change the fact.

But there are only so many HOF and near GOATs at WR to go around. Brady is a great QB, but he has a weakness in throwing long, he always had that weakness, and it is not getting better. Having Randy Moss for a season while Randy was still on top of his game, masked that somewhat, but doesn't change the fact.

You're making a claim that is simply not supported by the facts. Aaron Rodgers, who's certainly had much better deep threats for most of his career:

1 for 5
4 for 9
2 for 9
4 for 18
5 for 11

Now, go take a look at Brady in the five years prior to Moss' arrival

2 for 6
2 for 9
7 for 13
4 for 8
0 for 9

So, in that 5 year, pre-Moss period, Brady was 15 for 45 (.333), while Rodgers has gone 16 for 52 (.308) as a starter on the 41+ yards passes.

Last edited:
You're making a claim that is simply not supported by the facts. Aaron Rodgers, who's certainly had much better deep threats for most of his career:

1 for 5
4 for 9
2 for 9
4 for 18
5 for 11

Now, go take a look at Brady in the five years prior to Moss' arrival

2 for 6
2 for 9
7 for 13
4 for 8
0 for 9

So, in that 5 year, pre-Moss period, Brady was 15 for 45 (.333), while Rodgers has gone 16 for 52 (.308) as a starter on the 41+ yards passes.

Not arguing your stats but if Brady does have any weakness it's long ball accuracy for a QB of his caliber. I'm sure a decent percentage of those incompletetions were on the R but I've seen quite a few over the years which were on Brady. That obviously doesn't mean he sucks by default; you can point this out and still believe Brady is one of the GOAT.

We can see how he does tonight and go from there.

If he can contribute at least 75 yards tonight then i will be happy.Just make some plays.

If he can contribute at least 75 yards tonight then i will be happy.Just make some plays.

It's very difficult for a WR's who barely get separation to acquire 75yds...in a nut shell good luck with that.:D That said I think my man Donte' Stallworth could..I'm getting his jersey.:D

Last edited:
It's very difficult for a WR's who barely get separation to acquire 75yds...in a nut shell good luck with that.:D That said I think my man Donte' Stallworth could..I'm getting his jersey.:D

Lloyd's already done it twice this year. Stallworth's done it twice since 2006.

Last edited:
Love to see Lloyd or Stallworth get a big play tonight behind the D, but I think there is a better chance of hitting Woodhead breaking away from LBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News