PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Expect Brandon Lloyd to be more productive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like he took himself out of the game and perhaps wasn't hurting that much, he contrasted that with guys like Welker, who he loves as a FB player.

It may be on the on demand section of Mutt & Merloni later, well worth a listen.

Great, I will check it out. Thank you.

I take back everything I said then :)

My early high expectations for Brandon Lloyd have vanished nearly altogether.

Games 1-6: 34 rec / 401 yds / 11.8 avg
Games 7-12: 16 rec / 160 yds / 10.0 avg

Over this stretch where the team is supposed to be establishing its identity, Lloyd's involvement in the offense has continued to diminish - and this is despite a rash of injuries to an increasingly depleted receiving corps.

The reactions to Lloyd's production seems to me to be an example of overreaching expectations. Lloyd was brought in to be a perimeter presence; another player that defenses have to account for. Lloyd is not and will never be 07 Randy Moss.

Lloyd's numbers are admittedly lower than most have expected. But have we considered how many weapons there are on this offense? Welker, Hernandez, Gronkowski, Edelman, Woodhead, Vereen, Ridley... the ball is going to be spread around the different players. When Lloyd was with Denver and St. Louis, he was a bar above all the other offensive personnel.

Lloyd has made his share of mistakes. But he has also made plays. Are Brady and Lloyd on the same page? Some will say yes, others no. But Lloyd is the best option we have as opposed to starting a Branch or Gaffney or Stallworth.

He signed a 3 year, team-friendly deal. His numbers are subpar, but let's not go calling for his release now. Next year our WR corp will be receiving a complete makeover in an attempt to get younger and resign Welker and Edelman. Slater is not a WR.

Lloyd has a role on this team. It's just not as prominent as some wanted.

The reactions to Lloyd's production seems to me to be an example of overreaching expectations. Lloyd was brought in to be a perimeter presence; another player that defenses have to account for. Lloyd is not and will never be 07 Randy Moss.

Lloyd's numbers are admittedly lower than most have expected. But have we considered how many weapons there are on this offense? Welker, Hernandez, Gronkowski, Edelman, Woodhead, Vereen, Ridley... the ball is going to be spread around the different players. When Lloyd was with Denver and St. Louis, he was a bar above all the other offensive personnel.

Lloyd has made his share of mistakes. But he has also made plays. Are Brady and Lloyd on the same page? Some will say yes, others no. But Lloyd is the best option we have as opposed to starting a Branch or Gaffney or Stallworth.

He signed a 3 year, team-friendly deal. His numbers are subpar, but let's not go calling for his release now. Next year our WR corp will be receiving a complete makeover in an attempt to get younger and resign Welker and Edelman. Slater is not a WR.

Lloyd has a role on this team. It's just not as prominent as some wanted.

Bonzo's post up ^ top explains it all Lloyd's last Six games leaves alot to be desired.

SO either the best QB in the league is seeing an open receiver or he is protecting Lloyd (the same way he protected Ocho).

You know, Ocho was actually open a lot, he just wasn't where he was supposed to be.

For a QB, not being where you should be is really no different than being completely covered - invisible.

I am starting to wonder if this guy is playing hurt.He might put up the same numbers that Branch put up last year and thats not good considering Branch was doned last year.

I would love Brandon Lloyd to be more productive, but I don't see it happening. Until Brady threw to him for a short pass on Sunday, after the obligatory missed connection on a long ball, Brady didn't even look at Lloyd the entire game. I don't think they've ever gotten in sync and Brady has moved on.

Lloyd did do a nice job of securing the on-side kick. I wondered why the heck Miami, which was doing its little "Which kicker will it be?" routine, chose to kick to the side of the field with the WRs lined up on it (thought the Pats had a good plan there - more people on the left, but the WRs on the right). Why not try to kick it to a lead-handed lineman? Oh well, their loss!!

i did see lloyd open a few times yesterday and brady didn't even look at him...but who knows

Idk why Brady wouldnt throw him the ball if he was open.That gains confidence towards LLoyd.Welker has been his security blanket for years it seems.

I'd take Brady at his word on this one - he normally isn't afraid of making none-too-subtle digs at his team-mates if he feels they need it - likewise, he isn't scared to rip them on the field if they are getting stuff wrong.

Brady was definitely off his game yesterday - he missed Edelman on a deep bomb (yet again - I noted this consistent inaccuracy on the deep ball a few weeks back) - and i'm pretty sure Lloyd was wide open at least once in the EZ (esp on the Hernandez stumble that turned into a sack).

The following criticism should, as always, been taken in the context that I think Brady is one of the best, if not THE best QB in the game right now.

Some games he tends to get overly focused on a particular outlet and forces it - yesterday it was throws in the middle of field - esp to Welker and A Hern.

Those guys are fantastic, but he does need to get back to spreading the ball around a little better - for example, I think we could do a much better job of dumping off to HB's in the flat - I often see Brady look at the open HB, and then he looks away for something bigger down the field.

Guys like Vereen and Ridley are definitely capable of making plays on dump off passes - just as much as Woodhead, in my opinion.

A couple of weeks ago, Brady seemed hugely intent on forcing the ball to Branch at every opportunity - there has to be ways to keep Brandon integrated on the offense - screens etc.

I think Lloyd has lost favor with both Brady and McD. While he has made some acrobatic catches, the ones that weren't so acrobatic have me screaming every time. I don't think I've ever seen this guy get a YAC because he basically just falls down. So yes, I think he's afraid of contact and sells out on trying to make the big play.

When he came here, he wasn't going to be the next Moss, as a poster above pointed out, but he was brought here in anticipation of being the #1. If we had other options, I think this guy would be on the bench right about now. He plays scared, and Brady doesn't want that on his field.

I don't care how many ball Lloyd catches. as long as he's getting a key first down(as he has), drawing coverage (as he has) and the Patriots win (as they have).

It won't make me feel any better if he has 10 catches and we lose.

I disagree.Sooner or later he will have to step up.You brung him in to be more productive.I am not asking for 100 yards receiving each game.This guy reminds me of Branch last year but Branch was doned.I dont think LLoyd is past his prime.

We have a Offense that have guys that can get open quickly...Lloyd is not one if them. Based on how many times Hernandez and Welker are targeted its obvious Brady is not waiting on Lloyd who just dont have enough quickness for this Offense...i think they should *bring Branch back*...i never thought i would say that :ugh: but its just how bad Lloyd has become.

I agree but, Lloyd can be open without looking open because of his leaping and acrobatic ability. Face it, we've got what we've got as far as receivers this year,hopefully enough healthy ones to get by. McD knows what this kid can do and yes, it's a talent that's different than our other receivers.

He was definitely open in the end zone on the play that ended up being the second consecutive sack. I'm sure the OL wants that play back so Brady could have enough time to get the ball there.

I'm not sure people complaining about Brandon Lloyd not getting separation fully understand what he brought to the table before he was acquired by the Patriots. He's playing no different to his usual style, it's more he's not the number 1 target on the Patriots.

Lloyd is doing his job. It may not be sexy, but the threat is there. When his number is called, he gets his.

Last edited:
Brady had an uncharacteristically bad game yesterday, and if film review has led him to the conclusion that looking to Lloyd will help to avoid more games like that, then that's good news.

My early high expectations for Brandon Lloyd have vanished nearly altogether.

Games 1-6: 34 rec / 401 yds / 11.8 avg
Games 7-12: 16 rec / 160 yds / 10.0 avg

Over this stretch where the team is supposed to be establishing its identity, Lloyd's involvement in the offense has continued to diminish - and this is despite a rash of injuries to an increasingly depleted receiving corps.

He has sort of disappointed this season, but as long as Welker and the TEs are catching the ball and getting yards after the catch, it's ok. I thought that he was going to beast this year, after watching that Baltimore game.

How is he really disappointing?

If he was our main target sure, but when you can throw it to so many targets how can anyone complain he's not getting the ball?

You're just taking them away from the Edelman, Vereen, and Fells of the team.

The offense would be more fluid with him contributing.Welker basically has been the only wr option the last couple of years.I was surprise they didnt draft a wideout last year earlier.They went with Ebert.I am surprise Welker hasnt burned out considering he makes an insane amount of receptions.It would be nice to take some pressure of Welker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back